What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Williams / Manly vs Parra

Gronk

Staff member
Gronk the club thought because of all his injuries and playing only a few games in a couple of years that we would not renew his contract.

Those who keep up with our lower grades will remember that Dave only play a hand full amount of games in 06 and 07 due to knee, ankle problems

I remember watching one game wear I saw more tape then skin on him

Thanks buddy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I heard his interview on Foxsports last night.

He is basically saying that League is a short career and you have to grab every opportunity to make a dollar that you can.

That tells me is he looking for the highest bidder and Parra have no money so I'd say he is no chanceof coming back to us.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I would have loved to keep him here and seen him play on our wing/centres last year but now I think the time has come to look at him like any other player off contract and not let the fact he played for us bias the decision. We don't need a high price winger.

Bigfella

Coach
I fail to understand what a quality player's position has to do with anything.

A player like Williams wins games, instils hardness and commitment in a side, lifts morale ... For 200k he would be an outstanding buy.

The real issue is - we can't afford him because we are overpaying a bunch of underperforming back and front rowers; our highest paid "star" players have been down on expectations; and we have retained a halfback for 3 years on good to top money who isn't up to scratch.

At 200k a player like Williams would be one of our best value players.

In fact the good years we have had have relied enormously on big fast robust outside backs - precisely because our forward pack has been soft.

This is the reason I am most excited about the change in coach; so that he can get to work on fixing the imbalance in the playing roster and salary cap.

Then we can start to organise a roster which aims to have both a strong pack AND strong outside backs.

Ideally we can produce a halves combo in the same period but we all know that in the salary cap era halves are very hard to come by.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would have loved to keep him here and seen him play on our wing/centres last year but now I think the time has come to look at him like any other player off contract and not let the fact he played for us bias the decision. We don't need a high price winger.

if he was with us last season playing under Hages, he would not have been playing for the Kangaroos imo

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The only way to get Williams imo is to release Grothe, our real problem is forwards and a 5/8 not entirely a winger.

Fathead

Bench
Agreed, our forward pack last year was softer than Jessie Ryders guts.

How good is that Jesse Ryder ??? Will be one of my favourite cricketers. Bowls like a demon, bats at No 3. Isnt it great to see a cricketer carrying some weight !!!!!

Im so sick of the clean cut, Macleans smile weetbix eating tossers like Brett Lee, Watson and Johnson.
I bet Jesse doesnt eat fancy Youhurt and fruit for breakfast. It would be 4 eggs, a ton of bacon all weighed down by a half ton of butter.

His favourite clothing is probably Stubbies and apparently he wears Old Spice !!

All Jesse needs is a big assed mo to compete the picture.

About time sport got back to producing men and not nancy metro- sexual boys.

Go Jesse !!!

Suitman

Post Whore
How good is that Jesse Ryder ??? Will be one of my favourite cricketers. Bowls like a demon, bats at No 3. Isnt it great to see a cricketer carrying some weight !!!!!

Im so sick of the clean cut, Macleans smile weetbix eating tossers like Brett Lee, Watson and Johnson.
I bet Jesse doesnt eat fancy Youhurt and fruit for breakfast. It would be 4 eggs, a ton of bacon all weighed down by a half ton of butter.

His favourite clothing is probably Stubbies and apparently he wears Old Spice !!

Go Jesse !!!

I bet he drinks KB as well!

Suity

Fathead

Bench
I bet he drinks KB as well!

Suity

Nah being a Kiwi there would be only two choices -
DB (Dominion Bitter) for the masses
Lion Red (for the hard asses)

You guess which one !

BTW the boys on ' Once were Warriors' drank Lion Red.

cb4

First Grade
I half agree with you. BUT - I think everyone really understates the importance of wingers with the way the game is played now. With the tactical kicking ability of teams now to target wingers and set plays designed to get outside them, good wingers are soooo important now.

I would be happy to argue that they have become much more important then centres nowadays. In fact - you could almost hide a lot of players in the centres these days.

simmo...

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Go Jesse !!!
I think he is great, good to see an old style cricketer. Likes a drink and a smoke and a good time. Instead of going to Pallaties and drinking green tea.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I fail to understand what a quality player's position has to do with anything.

We don't need to cover that position and it is not useful to have too many outside backs when the front row and halves are a concern.

if he was with us last season playing under Hages, he would not have been playing for the Kangaroos imo

Definately not but we passed on keeping him and if we would have signed him to a 2 or 3 year deal then he may have gotten a chance in the future. The Manly moved proved good for him but if we would have given him a chance he might have proven a great asset to us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Williams has played Wing/fullback/centre in all his junior career, heck, he even played at lock in some matches in 06 or 05..he's an outstanding player, who, at the moment, leave all our, outside backs for dead and that includes GC1 and GC2..

lucablight

First Grade
Some players just need a change of environment to shine. Call me cynical but I wonder if David Williams would have been as a good a player if he was still at the Eels.