What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DAVICO Returning to NRL......

juggalo_strit

Juniors
FORMER Canberra Raiders prop Luke Davico is primed to make a shock return to the NRL with Melbourne next year.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has approached Davico, 32, about a possible comeback as he looks to bolster his forward stocks.

The veteran of more than 150 games with Canberra was forced into retirement earlier this year after tearing his pectoral muscle playing for English Super League club Wigan.

Davico has since returned to Australia and, after positive discussions with his surgeon, has declared himself ready to resume his career.

"The desire is definitely there," Davico said last night.

"Moving to Wigan did wonders for me. It really rejuvenated me, and while it was devastating how things ended up over there, it really made me realise how badly I wanted to play on."

Davico and Bellamy have enjoyed a long friendship, which began when Bellamy coached Davico in the Canberra under-21s.

"I consider Craig a good mate, and he has asked if I'm interested in coming down to Melbourne," Davico said.

"It's a prospect that is really attractive to me. I know what a quality coach he is and he is building a really exciting team. It is pretty exciting to think I could be part of that."

Bellamy confirmed he had spoken to Davico, but said any contract would be subject to a stringent medical test.

"The biggest thing for Luke is the injury. He has had three pec injuries now, so any team that signs him would want to make sure he is over those," Bellamy said. Newcastle has also approached the prop, who said lifestyle for his young family would be a key concern.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15544903-23214,00.html

Chachi

Bench
All I'm reading into that situation is that it was no great loss seeing him go in the first place. I'm glad he's not being considered back here.

chub

Juniors
why doesn't anyone like Luke/ want him back? I thought he's been great for the raiders over many years??

Chachi

Bench
I wouldn't say that everyone wouldn't want him back - it's just my own personal opinion. I think he was a good player - just injury prone and not committed to the Raiders at the end.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stats is a gun, if he remained uninjured he will be a gun for whom ever signs him
given out backround with Adamson and Smith, i wouldnt object to getting Statue back at canberra where he belongs!!!

WE LOVE YOU STATS!

thickos

First Grade
Chachi said:
and not committed to the Raiders at the end.

Big call. Personally I think you're wrong on this one. The guy bleeds green and was our forward leader along with Wiki for the past five years. Sure injuries were an issue but he was gutted it ended the way it did.

Champion player but I think both he and the club have moved on.

Genghis Chan

Juniors
I would love to see him in Melbourne. Will provide some more size that we lack as well as some experience for the younger blokes. I reckon he's a quality player.

edabomb

First Grade
I agree with the pro-Davico sentiments. He was a champ in his Raiders career. I don't really mind about him returning with another club though, we've used any cap space on signing younger props in Lomu and Williams.

Chachi

Bench
I thought he requested a release from the last year of his contract (hence my opinion). I could be completely wrong though...

Timbo

Staff member
I wouldn't mind him back....

Considering our utter lack of depth in the front row I'm suprised more people dont want him back.

I've also heard the Knights are interested.

jed

First Grade
But how many props can come back after virtually a year and a half on the sidelines, let alone ones of Davico's vintage?

ausraider

Juniors
Mulch said:
We also signed Dane Tilse, The Ex-Knights Prop, till 2008

This guy is a living giant,can't wait for him to strap raiders colours.Definately have potential to be a very good prop.Lukes days with stenum injury is gone, it is a huge risk in signing him.We already have signed 3 props let give then ago.

Paullyboy

Coach
All the pro-davico posts in here have answered the problem in their own posts.

He was great for the club.

Davico of 2005 and Davico of 2001 or whenever is a completely different entity. I too love what the bloke did for our club - but dont particularly want to see him pulling on our first grade jersey again. Id have no qualms with him playing in the reserves, not that he'd be too keen on that proposition though I wouldnt imagine.