What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop has to go!

Brutus

Referee
Misty Bee said:
F**ktard. And what is the choice????

Go and restring your banjo before Raaaaay rings for counselling.

Mr Gallop loves Rays songs.

Best way discuss rugby league topics.

thatsold

Juniors
I dont really care about this radio rights issue, I dont know enough about it to take sides. So just to be clear, it's not the side represented by Gallop that I'm complaining about here, its the man himself.

Gallop came across as a complete moron in those interviews, I can hardly believe how bad he was.

Hughes was killing him just by asking simple, reasonable questions.
Whats even more disturbing is that when Gallop came back on he was still completely unprepared to answer the same questions that were put to him the last time.

I didnt know much about Gallop before this, but now that I do, I have to say I'm very disappointed that we have such a bumbling fool at the helm of rugby league.

Having just listened to both interviews (thanks for the link ledzep) I think Gallop certainly handled both very poorly BUT I think he has a fair argument. Hughes has an axe to grind, that is clear, and Gallop even suggests that. It was not an unbias interview by any stretch and that mde Gallop's job very tough, but he still could have handled it better. he should have said staright up - this is the deal we've done, we've done it to make as much money as possible and because we wanted an FM presence, some people won't be happy about it but we as the game's governing body made the decision we are sure is the best for the game. And he should have left it at that.

The fact is very few people will actually miss out as a result of the Triple M deal. Only those who don't have pay TV and no access to it, who do want to listen to the game on the radio but don't live in an area where they can pick the Triple M coverage up will miss out. If that is the biggest issue affecting rugby league in the bush we're in great shape. Hughes banged on about how important rugby league in the bush is to the game but he has never once quizzed David Gallop about what the NRL is doing to really help the game out here. This is the first time he's been so concerned as to drill Gallop and it was on bloody radio rights. Gallop said the NRL must make as much cash as it can to support grassroots footy and I can't argue with that, assuming grassroots footy sees a share of that cash. That's what Hughes should have asked him, if the NRL has made extra cash on this deal how much will go to league in the bush? But his concern is not for league in the bush at all, it's about his network not getting what it wanted while its rivals did and I think that came across in the interviews.

Having said all that I wish 2GB didn't get the rights because I believe they do the game no good at all in the manner in which the cover the game. But if 2GB were that keen they should have come up with the cash. Gallop said they didn't even bid for exclusive rights and he also said they could talk to Triple M about the onselling of their Monday night rights, which Hughes dismissed. Actually he said "what if we don't?" to which Gallop said (paraphrasing) "well that's up to you".

I don't necessarily like the outcome of the radio rights but I do accept the NRL's reasoning (as to whether the NRL's reasons are the true ones is another story). I also think there are far bigger issues that need to be addressed in our game and Hughes and others in the media should put more effort into those areas if they are so concerned about the welfare of the game.

innsaneink said:
No bigger issue in the game at the moment than the NRL turning its back on fans.
As a general issue that is a big one but in terms of Monday night game broadcasts to the bush, specifically, it's not a major drama. On the list of things rugby league in the bush needs from the NRL radio broadcasts of Monday night games are well down that list.

Dogs Of War

Coach
East Coast Tiger said:
As a general issue that is a big one but in terms of Monday night game broadcasts to the bush, specifically, it's not a major drama. On the list of things rugby league in the bush needs from the NRL radio broadcasts of Monday night games are well down that list.

It'd be a fair comment if it was just Monday nights, but Saturday nights are also a big issue as far as I am concerned. 2GB have exclusive rights but not broadcasting the games, and the ABC not able to cover the games all the time due to other sports which have to be covered as well at that time zone is unfair. As well if we had other stations covering the game, their is more chance that the radio coverage may reach areas which don't get radio coverage of NRL matches at all at this moment in time. Melbourne springs to mind seeing how SEN seems to have dropped NRL in favour of AFL matches now.

Dogs Of War said:
It'd be a fair comment if it was just Monday nights, but Saturday nights are also a big issue as far as I am concerned. 2GB have exclusive rights but not broadcasting the games, and the ABC not able to cover the games all the time due to other sports which have to be covered as well at that time zone is unfair. As well if we had other stations covering the game, their is more chance that the radio coverage may reach areas which don't get radio coverage of NRL matches at all at this moment in time. Melbourne springs to mind seeing how SEN seems to have dropped NRL in favour of AFL matches now.
The setup is far from ideal there's no doubt. I was basing my comments largely on the interviews between Hughes and Gallop. The interviews were almost entirely about "country fans missing out" versus "commercial considerations". On that argument I think Gallop had a reasonable case, but he stated it very poorly. Hughes also had a legitimate complaint but his real gripe was 2SM missing out on the rights. The outcome is not the best but under the circumstances I don't feel the NRL has been grossly negligent or unfair. I think the worrying thing is not how Gallop handled the negotiations but how he handled the interview. A man in his position should be able to explain his position a little better than he did. He sounded very weak and defensive.

Gene Krupa

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:

No f**king drama? I'm in newy and that's about 200ks out of Sydney and we won't be getting coverage, so I think that is a huge drama actually!

Gene Krupa said:
No f**king drama? I'm in newy and that's about 200ks out of Sydney and we won't be getting coverage, so I think that is a huge drama actually!
I'm a fair bit further out of Sydney and am sure we'll be getting even worse coverage than Newcastle, but I don't think too many people will care. We don't get every Saturday night or Sunday game on radio at present, we haven't had Friday night games for ages and a lot of places can't get the 2GB coverage on any day. Next year will be pretty much the same and it's not the end of the world. Anyone really desperate to get coverage of the Monday night game will find a way to watch it. There are issues affecting the game in the bush that are far more significant than this radion palava and if the NRL is to be put under pressure to assist the game in the bush it is these issues that need to be addressed with greater urgency. By the way the deal has been done so there's nothing anyone can do... oh except bitch about it.

Brutus

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
I'm a fair bit further out of Sydney and am sure we'll be getting even worse coverage than Newcastle, but I don't think too many people will care. We don't get every Saturday night or Sunday game on radio at present, we haven't had Friday night games for ages and a lot of places can't get the 2GB coverage on any day. Next year will be pretty much the same and it's not the end of the world.

The NRL love people like you.

Brutus said:
The NRL love people like you.
No, they love people like you who tackle the minor issues in the game instead of picking them up on what is really important. It's a couple of games on f**king radio. If it's so important that absolutely every person in NSW and Qld can have access to every NRL game you should be asking the NRL why they don't give the NRL TV rights to anybody who wants them so long as they show them all live right across the country free to air.

Brutus

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
No, they love people like you who tackle the minor issues in the game instead of picking them up on what is really important. It's a couple of games on f**king radio. If it's so important that absolutely every person in NSW and Qld can have access to every NRL game you should be asking the NRL why they don't give the NRL TV rights to anybody who wants them so long as they show them all live right across the country free to air.

In case you haven't noticed, radio is radio and television is television. Every game is shown on tv whether it be pay or FTA.

The same cannot be said for radio. Many rugby league fans are also put off by 2GB's coverage which can be barely described as a rugby league program. This wouldn't be a problem of course if there was greater choice.

This is a minor issue for people who don't listen to the radio.

The NRL was hoping for this issue to be a minor issue as you described it, but clearly it isn't.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Maybe, just maybe, the NRL had in the back of its mind that Hadley's team has virtually been unbeaten since they started calling football in the 80's. Even when there was a choice between Hollywood and Zorba on 2GB and the ABC, Hadley won.

Even when Hadley was on 2UE and lost the rights to call the games he still kicked the living tripe out of the 2GB and ABC coverage.

Ofcoure his broadcasts aren't everyones cup of tea but at least they have a go at trying to attract a wider audience and get more people interested in Rugby League.

How boring would it be for 6/8 hours a day sitting there listening to people tallk about a missed conversation or a play by play blow of the last nights game. That would be suicidal as evidence with 2UE's talking league when Hadley jumped shipped and 2GBs previous coverage.

At least they poke fun at Rugby League and don't try and talk about other non related rugby league topics such as soccer or union...

Brutus said:
In case you haven't noticed, radio is radio and television is television. Every game is shown on tv whether it be pay or FTA.

The same cannot be said for radio. Many rugby league fans are also put off by 2GB's coverage which can be barely described as a rugby league program. This wouldn't be a problem of course if there was greater choice.

This is a minor issue for people who don't listen to the radio.

The NRL was hoping for this issue to be a minor issue as you described it, but clearly it isn't.

Super League was a big issue
Souths fight for reinstatement was a big issue
Union raids, the threat from other codes generally, Canterbury gang-rape allegations and other player misbehavious, the 16th team debate and international football are all big issues.
This is not.
The NRL has to make money. They asked for expressions of interest for exclusive rights and 2GB were not only the only ones to make an expression of interest but they paid handsomely for the rights. Triple M did likewise for the Monday night game. It's a commercial decision made to deliver the best financial reward for the NRL. The number of fans who are worse off as a result of this decision is actually zero. In fact with an extra game more people will be able to watch and listen to more games next year. As I've said the deal is not as good as it can possibly be but clearly the ideal outcome was not possible. Get over it, it's a done deal. If you really are concerned about the game and not just whether you can listen to one extra game on radio a week then maybe you should look at some of the most pressing issues the game is facing/going to face in the future and lobby the NRL on those issues.

Brutus

Referee
Front-Rower said:
How boring would it be for 6/8 hours a day sitting there listening to people tallk about a missed conversation or a play by play blow of the last nights game. That would be suicidal as evidence with 2UE's talking league when Hadley jumped shipped and 2GBs previous coverage.

At least they poke fun at Rugby League and don't try and rip off a certain other show with anti-ads and other non related rugby league topics such as soccer or union...

They rarely talk rugby league - that's the problem.

Instead of talking absolute crap for 5 hours on a Saturday, calling one game then going off air, why not start at 2pm and call both Saturday night games and give league fans true service? No. Talking garbage is more important that calling a game.

Brutus

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
Super League was a big issue
Souths fight for reinstatement was a big issue
Union raids, the threat from other codes generally, Canterbury gang-rape allegations and other player misbehavious, the 16th team debate and international football are all big issues.
This is not.

Agreed. All big issues from the past. All issues that I have been passionate about, particularly the Souths one where I marched with thousands of others.

I also happen to be passionate about this issue and do not want to see league fans short-changed. I am a radio listener and feel we could be getting much better coverage and choice much like we used to and like AFL fans get.

Latest posts