What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop: I'll fight to save all Sydney clubs

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I'll believe him when he gets Norths back into the comp.

2009 sounds good - I wonder if Dave the saviour will go for it.

Seeing as he never mentioned norths being readmitted nor has anyone else don't you think you are being a bit of a dick with statements like that ?

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Encouraging on the Sydney teams, f**king moron to say no Perth though

How is going to perth a good move when they already have a union team, a soccer team and two afl teams ? Isn't the market a bit saturated already without attempting to start up an NRL team ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
"I don't think Perth and Adelaide will be ready, there won't be the interest . . . by then."

What he was realy saying:

The NRL is skint becuase of the way we run it and can't afford to financially support expansion areas

If we become National we would have to charge more for our media coverage and we wouldn't want that!

We are f#$ing clueless about how we take a great product on the field and make it popular to a new audience

AFL, Soccer and RU p1$$ all over us in new areas and we daren't move into an area already frequented by them or we will be shown up yet again

We can't even run the game succesfully in our heartland, what chance in an area where we would actually have to compete

The guy, organisation and sport is a joke. In some ways the sooner we put the nails in the coffin the less painful it will be!

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
"I don't think Perth and Adelaide will be ready, there won't be the interest . . . by then."

The NRL is skint becuase of the way we run it and can't afford to financially support expansion areas

If we become National we would have to charge more for our media coverage and we wouldn't want that!

We are f#$ing clueless about how we take a great product on the field and make it popular to a new audience

AFL, Soccer and RU p1$$ all over us in new areas and we daren't move into an area already frequented by them or we will be shown up yet again

We can't even run the game succesfully in our heartland, what chance in an area where we would actually have to compete

The guy, organisation and sport is a joke. In some ways the sooner we put the nails in the coffin the less painful it will be!

No. He is saying Perth doesn't matter. How right he is.

Inferno

Coach
One thing I find funny is people saying there isn't the player depth to start up another team, yet in the same breath bemoan the amount of players who are "lost" to the ESL. :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny how EVERY pro sport in the country considers Perth important enough to have a team? Makes me laugh that water polo and baseball are big enough sports to have a Perth team in a national comp yet RL fans think our sport isn't.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Funny how EVERY pro sport in the country considers Perth important enough to have a team? Makes me laugh that water polo and baseball are big enough sports to have a Perth team in a national comp yet RL fans think our sport isn't.
Water polo and baseball is Perth's future. Enjoy.

taipan

Referee

No I sympathise with you Perth should have a team,but Sydney teams have to get their house in order first.Mergers and removal of clubs in Sydney has meant fans either going to Vic fumbleball or union.I know of 2 in Nth Sydney that went to union and an elderly couple who were Saints fans that went to the Sydney ducks due to the merger.
I got the impression from Gallop,that Perth is down the line.Maybe it's just me >I see an 18 team comp in the future including Perth and the CC. To relocate/or remove a Sydney team to Perth ATM,you get Perth crowds? and you immediately open an area for other codes in Sydney to exploit with disillusioned fans.
The SL war,did more to help AFL and Union than any other eevnt in sport in the 20th century.I am b*ggered if I want to give them any more assistance>they get enough from the media as itis.

Special K

Coach
didnt gallop say on the verge of our biggest origin series that sydney clubs are in trouble?

now he says they are safe for at least the next 5 years and will fight for them?

huh?

SaintInTheShire

Juniors
I guess the real issue here is do we keep all Sydney teams for the short term benefit of the game or do we merge/relocate a few for the long term benefit of the game.

I'm a Dragons supporter and the merger hasn't been to bad for either St.George or Illawarra. We were all up in arms at the time but we've all managed to accept and now embrace it. The cold hard facts are without merger, there was a possibility that either one or both teams wouldn't have any representation in the NRL.

To be a truly national competition we have to expand into areas such as Perth and Adelaide, be it through relocation or setting up new teams in these areas.

But still by the same token we can't afford to alienate the loyal supporters who have stood by the Sydney Clubs. However, when you look at the lack of crowds some of the teams are getting you can't help but wonder how viable and for how long? Gallop said that the WARL Grand Final only got 5,000 people. Well, thats only 1000 less than the NRL got at ANZ Stadium for St.George/Melbourne.

I think it's time for Sydneysiders to start getting to the games to support their teams or face the possibility that their beloved team might have to merge, relocate or die.

Remember no player is bigger than the game and no club is either.

sass

Juniors
I don't understand this whole gallop article.

he's ceo.

if he's fighting to save sydney clubs, who's he fighting against?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Coffs Harbour.... please.... Hey Freddy look at TV ratings points,,, they dont even consider regional areas when negotiating contacts, acording to Gallop.

We have to have a 10-15 year plan to be national, it would be stupid to set up teams there now, but we have to spend cash on setting up the infrastructure, WA reds in Jim Beam is a good example,,,,, but was this an NRL initiative ???[/quote]

DEFINITLY NOT! it was the WARL being pro active

mongoose

Coach
I don't understand this whole gallop article.

he's ceo.

if he's fighting to save sydney clubs, who's he fighting against?

aliens from out of space? who knows, The guy is so far out of his depth it's not funny. He reads the papers every morning and then comes out with some vague politician like statement never denying or confirming anything.

Brutus

Referee
Gallop said that the WARL Grand Final only got 5,000 people. Well, thats only 1000 less than the NRL got at ANZ Stadium for St.George/Melbourne.

It's also 4,000 more than the Sydney AFL GF and 3,000 more than the Queensland AFL Grand Final.