What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Simmons on the improve

$h@rk$

Juniors
^im gueesing u have personal issues with simmons. or were u just blind in the past few weeks. lets go through some things ur beloved peach cannot do. and i do honor him for his service to the club but know wen there is better on the field who can fill his shoes.

simmo outruns wesser
whole field run then paas to albert
better last line defence
equal if not better under the high ball
runs the ball instead of passing on kick returns
runs hard as he can towards defence
better steps
the list goes on...

and im not talking bout the peach we had 5 years ago. im talking last year. he is getting worn out i have to say and still has talent but evry year its dissolving.

sharks8601

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
How?
To d othat he would be after 50 games approaching peachy at his best. Minni at his best. Hodgo at his best. Wesser at his best. slater at his best. Inglis at his best. thaiday at his best. Webb at his best. Bowen at his best.

Millers, if you think that Simmons is anywhere near those players, because he gets picked in a city jersey, then I think you spent too much time in amsterdam.
he is not a pimple on those blokes back sides.
He is not even in the top 16 fullbacks in the NRL now!!!(Slater & Lockyer)

i whouldnt rate him that bad, he has to be better then that wade mckennin, ive been to a few parra games this year and he is sh*t, simmo is safe for us and he is running the ball back better then peach did, it is finnally good to see us gettin back to the 30 or 40 where as peach runs side ways and only gets to the 20
dont get me wrong, back in the late 90's peach was doing a great job running sideays, how often did he set up a break to blokes like mat rogers that whould see us back to the halfway line on tackle one, but with winger like covell, howland etc the past few weeks they just didnt have the skill to make the breaks of his passes, the last few years the peach was throwing more hospital passes to our wingers than anything

Inferno

Coach
perhaps he was trying to knock some sense into Simmons.

Obviously he didn't do it nearly enough.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
$h@rk$ said:
^im gueesing u have personal issues with simmons. or were u just blind in the past few weeks. lets go through some things ur beloved peach cannot do. and i do honor him for his service to the club but know wen there is better on the field who can fill his shoes.

simmo outruns wesser
better last line defence
better steps
the list goes on...

and im not talking bout the peach we had 5 years ago. im talking last year. he is getting worn out i have to say and still has talent but evry year its dissolving.

I think it might be you that is blind.

Better last line of defence huh? How come then that Simmons only makes 59% of his tackles? Run hard at the defence? Spare me, he's the softest running fullback in the NRL.

Aries

Bench
Inferno said:
perhaps he was trying to knock some sense into Simmons.

Obviously he didn't do it nearly enough.

Edit: Just re-read the stats...they are compared as fullbacks...

Anyway, He hasn't had 50 games at Fullback, as Reefy implies! New positional adjustments required!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
$h@rk$ said:
simmo outruns wesser
better last line defence
better steps
the list goes on...

Point by point
he could never out run wesser. Wesser is genuine speed
Good run
Simmons has missed mor etackles than he has made this year.
Better under the high ball than Peach. Your kidding right?
Runs the ball up to a point where he then gets driven back 15 metres.
runs hard. your joking right?
Better steps. your joking right?
The list? it never got going.

Despite the fact this has turned into a peach v Simmo slang match, just take the time to think about the clubs investment in fullback position.
60 games have been gifted to a player who now has more games experience than 30% of the current fullbacks in the game.

And the Sharks are left with, at best, the 17th best fullback in the comp.
Geezus I dont even think he is the best fullback in our own club.!!!

blacktip-reefy said:
Point by point
he could never out run wesser. Wesser is genuine speed
Good run
Simmons has missed mor etackles than he has made this year.
Better under the high ball than Peach. Your kidding right?
Runs the ball up to a point where he then gets driven back 15 metres.
runs hard. your joking right?
Better steps. your joking right?
The list? it never got going.

Despite the fact this has turned into a peach v Simmo slang match, just take the time to think about the clubs investment in fullback position.
60 games have been gifted to a player who now has more games experience than 30% of the current fullbacks in the game.

And the Sharks are left with, at best, the 17th best fullback in the comp.
Geezus I dont even think he is the best fullback in our own club.!!!

BTR i dont know where you get your tackle counts from but Simmons has made 22 tackles missed 14, he hasnt missed more then he has made.

You do forget some points BTR which was last year Peachey made 39 handling errors, simmons has made 7 only this year, that 1.5 vs .875 per game, so looking at that peachey struggled with ball control.

Peach was doing 10 hitups per match Simmon doing 16, and simmons mtr avg is just above Peach.

I have not been a simmons fan, but why knock a player when his form has improved, and his defence on Barrett last week, was as good as any fullback in NRL, and yes Simmons has been given many more chances then others, but just maybe just he will repay us, and over the last month, he looks to be turning things around, credit always must be given when due, and neither should a like or dislike of a player cloud anyones judgement

sharkadelic

Juniors
He has speed. I dont think anyone can seriously deny that. I have seen him run down Bowen with a headstart. But as to being on the improve? Definitely. But he couldnt go backwards from where he was either.

Still runs like a scared kid, afraid to take on the older kids. Until he develops some Cajones, we are still going to have to put up with 2nd rate service at the back. And that shove to Matt Cooper in the direction of tryline last year still makes me shudder. But he has taken a step ( a STEP, mind you) in the right direction....

Inferno

Coach
all you stat boys try and figure out how many try assists, Peachy averaged then workout how many Simmo has, I'd be surprised if got within a cooee of peach.

Nullajet

Juniors
on the handling error stats...they will always be higher for a player who actually handles the ball more!!!

Peachey was often involved in setting up tries and plays, unlike Simmo

My point is still valid! Compare Peachey's stats at the SAME age as Simmo and I am sure he would have the better comfortably......compare them from the last year and sure you might make some fair points but geeez some of you have short memories for what Peachey provided this club at his peek.
Simmo is unlikely to match that!

Have a look at most people's all time sharks team..Peach features as a fullback often!! So please spare us this crapping on about how Simmo has the wood on him already

geezuz I cant believe the comments here that say Simmo is better under the high ball, runs hard at the line (I know Peach never did either, but dont tell me Simmo does !! Peach relied on the step and setting up his wingers when we had quality wingers)

I realise this Peachey / Simmo thing is going on to long and this is the last time I am going to bother bringing Peachey up...he is gone!

But I cant believe how quickly after a couple of good performances some people want to throw Simmons on the superstar pedestal.....Im prepared to say in 3 years time....Simmons will be remembered as one of those..."we thought he was going to be great!" players.

If I am wrong and I hope I am......Ill wear it

sharknows

Bench
This is a complete and utter load of shlt. Why the f#ck do you want to try and compare them. The Peach was a unique gifted player .... one of the best to pull on the no.1 for the Sharks. Simmo is a completely different style who has taken time to develop but is developing into a very reliable fullback with the speed and ability to put on the brilliant stuff. F#ck he's done something outstanding in nearly every game this season. You can see that the players respect him and have confidence. The handful of Simmo haters here are obviously better credentialled to judge than the coaching staff, his team mates and all the game callers and commentators .....

millersnose

Post Whore
blacktip-reefy said:
How?
Millers, if you think that Simmons is anywhere near those players, because he gets picked in a city jersey, then I think you spent too much time in amsterdam.
he is not a pimple on those blokes back sides.
He is not even in the top 16 fullbacks in the NRL now!!!(Slater & Lockyer)

hey i admit i am surprised at his selection in a rep side

personally if i was a selector i wouldnt have

i would put him in the top ten fullbacks though

he is very safe and can score tries and i think he is first grade class

PHaTMaN

Juniors
Off the top of my head I would rate Bowen, Mini, Wesser, Slater, Inglis, Hunt, Hodgson, Thaiday, Horby and Webb higher than him.

I would have McKinnon, Polglase, Patten and sh*tcovski as worse fullbacks.

I think Simmo is NRL standard, not rep standard, altho if he grows a heart and runs the ball back with some venom, my opinion of him would be raised considerably.

Inferno

Coach
surely you jest, I'd rate all of them ahead of Simmons, and the only ones which come close would be Polglase and Patten. Patten is average and Polglase, might not offer as much in attack, but he's twice as good defensively as Simmons. And one of the toughest fullbacks going around. Cops a beating almost every week but still keeps coming back.

Nullajet

Juniors
sharknows said:
This is a complete and utter load of shlt. Why the f#ck do you want to try and compare them. The Peach was a unique gifted player .... one of the best to pull on the no.1 for the Sharks. Simmo is a completely different style who has taken time to develop but is developing into a very reliable fullback with the speed and ability to put on the brilliant stuff. F#ck he's done something outstanding in nearly every game this season. You can see that the players respect him and have confidence. The handful of Simmo haters here are obviously better credentialled to judge than the coaching staff, his team mates and all the game callers and commentators .....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Frenzy.

Post Whore
sharknows said:

Yeah and he's done something dumb in every game as well.

That's what makes a lot of you people "flash" judges. You judge what he does on one standout issue and ignore the rest. the same people latch onto one bad thing a player does and wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater. That's not to say it's all bad but there is a balance to be had and on balance he is just average.

The big difference of course with Simmons is that he's in his FOURTH year and only now coming good. OK so he's a slow developer but FMFF lets not make him God yet.

sharkadelic

Juniors
Thank you, Coolum. I was going to talk to you about crediting Tool with that Bill Hicks joke.

"I'm Jack the Ripper. No, I 'm Jack the Ripper." :lol:

I dont think we'll ever see any one that funny again in my lifetime...:cry:

Latest posts