What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Davis Cup

Craigshark

First Grade
Well David Cup starts tomorrow.. Australia Vs Argentina..
No Woodbridge, so Hewitt and Arthurs are going to have to do it all themselves.. Hewitt isn't a doubles player so that will be an interesting match.. Arthurs has been going alright latley, and he played well in the last Davis Cup against Austria here in Sydney..
I think we can win, we will probably win the 2 matches tomorrow, lose the doubles and then win 1 match on Sunday.. 3 rubbers to 2..
Come on Australia..

Big Mick

Referee
Argentina will smash us.

Sorry.

But they will.

Coria is a handy player on Grass. Nalbandian made the Quarters of wimbledon yet again.

I think we'll lose 3-2...only wins to Hewitt over Nalbandian and Coria.

TO me, playing Arthurs was a big mistake.

I would have given young Chris Guccione a shot on his favourite grass surface on the first day as I think with the big stage we would have done REALLY well, and save Arthurs for day 2 and 3. I don't think Arthurs if it comes down to a deciding game on Day 3 will have enough left in the tank.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think it's going to come down to the doubles.

I cannot see Arthurs beating either Nalbandian or Coria, his return game is too weak. He may stick with them for a little while, but once they get a handle on his serve he'll struggle. Arthurs is considered a grasscourt player, but both these guys have a better recent grasscourt record than he does so deserve favouritism.

Hewitt will beat Coria fairly easily I think, Nalbandian will be a tougher project though. They played a tough 5 setter at the Australian open and I think home crowd may just get Lleyton over the line.

I'd have us as underdogs to win the doubles, the Argentinian team are experienced together and that may probably be enough. Arthurs is getting on a bit, and there is a question mark over whether he can back up from a best of 5 sets singles match the next day in the doubles. I don't think he'll be at his best.

Corbin

Juniors
damn have u seen Coria!!!!!!! he is getting so Phcyed over Hewitt's 'come ons'.

Jordan

Juniors
I thought he was talking about the Argentina captain because he kept complaining..

AJK07

Juniors
Jordan said:
I thought he was talking about the Argentina captain because he kept complaining..

he did insult the captain as well, but seriously, I can not believe that the Aussie crowd put(s) up with such continuous garbage from their no.1 tennis player. Surely, winning is not everything.

Seriously, every point that marginally goes against him, he INSULTS the linesmen, the umpire, the player, the team captain!!! Remember the Blake incident. He is a NATIONAL DISGRACE and quite possibly a RACIST IMO.

In Australia's best interests, he should never represent Australia again. He sends a bad message.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yet we treat him like god. Its a disgrace. That's why I love seeing a good guy like Federer kick his arse everytime.

sanjane

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Yet we treat him like god. Its a disgrace. That's why I love seeing a good guy like Federer kick his arse everytime.

yeah exactly, sampras likewise.

You dont have to be a brat to win tennis games.

As Coria said,
"He can be the best player in the world, he can win every tournament, but he cannot behave the way he does – abusing the captain, abusing the other players, abusing everybody."

"It's very difficult not to feel provoked or not to get into his game. But, as a person, I'd rather not win a single tournament in my life than be like him."

Iafeta

Referee
Bl00dy oath.

The guy is an oath with his outlandish behaviour. Yet because he can win a tennis game or two (btw he is nowhere near as good as Federer, or Sampras, or Agassi or any other number of players in their prime - currently Federer aside its a very weak pool for mine) we in Australia think he's god's gift to humanity.

He's a punk ar$ed biatch who should have his mouth washed out with soap, and sent for a week or two to work with common people to understand real everyday life where you don't walk around going "C'MONNNNNN!!!" or abusing black linespeople.

brenno

Juniors
I hate Hewitt. I hate the way he plays, his attitude and the message he sends to young aussies everytime he steps on the court. That is, It's okay to behave how ever you want and to disrespect your opponent or the officials just as long as you win. He could learn alot from Roger. He just plays and let's his game do the talking. I enjoy everytime Hewitt plays Federer as he normally is on the end of a hinding. He is a punk and even if he is to become more successful as his career progresses i will still hate him with a passion. For me, supporting Hewitt is unaustralian.

sanjane

Juniors
brenno said:
I hate Hewitt. I hate the way he plays, his attitude and the message he sends to young aussies everytime he steps on the court. That is, It's okay to behave how ever you want and to disrespect your opponent or the officials just as long as you win. He could learn alot from Roger. He just plays and let's his game do the talking. I enjoy everytime Hewitt plays Federer as he normally is on the end of a hinding. He is a punk and even if he is to become more successful as his career progresses i will still hate him with a passion. For me, supporting Hewitt is unaustralian.

Well said

Jordan

Juniors
I can't believe I am reading this... Lleyton is one of the most passionate Australians I've ever seen.. His Davis Cup record speaks for itself. When the fanatics are going off in the crowd, they lift him to another level. The thing with Hewitt is that he needs his 'come on's' and lawnmowers to pump himself up. It's gets his adrenaline going and he takes his game to another level. You just have to look at the third set against Coria to see that.. He was 2 sets up, and he was cold..he was relaxed... He lost that set 6-1. He needs to pump himself up.. He doesn't have the skill of someone like Federer (and Hewitt is the first to admit that), but he is a gutsy player and a lot of matches he wins, he wins because of his mental toughness alone.

Hewitt isn't alone either with this.. Coria was giving it back a lot of the time as well... A couple of times during the match he spat both in the referee's and the fanatic's direction. He also shouldered Hewitt after the end of the first set. He even tried to hit Lleyton with an overhead volley.

Lleyton says a lot of things during a match that he probably regrets... but it's a professional sport and with emotions running high, his competitive nature really kicks in. Even someone like Roger Federer understands why Hewitt does what he does. At first he said he felt offended because he thought that the 'come on's' were directed at him, but they aren't. Now even Roger has adopted that catch cry Hewitt made famous.

Razor

Coach
Jordan said:
I can't believe I am reading this... Lleyton is one of the most passionate Australians I've ever seen.

Spewitt is scum

The thing with Hewitt is that he needs his 'come on's' and lawnmowers to pump himself up.

No he doesn't. He does that to disrupt his opponent. You watch him he goes through his motions, then looks at his opponent. If his opponent isn't looking he holds the pose until his opponent looks at him.

Lleyton says a lot of things during a match that he probably regrets

Like calling a disabled line judge a spastic?
Like inferring that a black line judge was favouring his black opponent because of the skin color?

Big Mick

Referee
in all fairness. Hewitt didn't instigate yesterday.

I'm the first critic of Hewitt but he gave what he got.

Coria was acting like a little bitch himself.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Hewy is a champion
passionate australia that loves to win, i love the way he plays and love the way he reacts during a game, it brings an element of excitement to game that has barely any.

Its a select few that hate the way he goes about his business, those are mostly the mentally weak that cant handle the in your face style. The real champions of tennis dont have an issue with it, Federer, Agasi, Safin, etc because they are not as easily rattled.

sanjane

Juniors
Jordan said:
I can't believe I am reading this... Lleyton is one of the most passionate Australians I've ever seen.. His Davis Cup record speaks for itself. When the fanatics are going off in the crowd, they lift him to another level. The thing with Hewitt is that he needs his 'come on's' and lawnmowers to pump himself up. It's gets his adrenaline going and he takes his game to another level. You just have to look at the third set against Coria to see that.. He was 2 sets up, and he was cold..he was relaxed... He lost that set 6-1. He needs to pump himself up.. He doesn't have the skill of someone like Federer (and Hewitt is the first to admit that), but he is a gutsy player and a lot of matches he wins, he wins because of his mental toughness alone.

Hewitt isn't alone either with this.. Coria was giving it back a lot of the time as well... A couple of times during the match he spat both in the referee's and the fanatic's direction. He also shouldered Hewitt after the end of the first set. He even tried to hit Lleyton with an overhead volley.

Lleyton says a lot of things during a match that he probably regrets... but it's a professional sport and with emotions running high, his competitive nature really kicks in. Even someone like Roger Federer understands why Hewitt does what he does. At first he said he felt offended because he thought that the 'come on's' were directed at him, but they aren't. Now even Roger has adopted that catch cry Hewitt made famous.

I'm not saying Coria is a saint, but he gave it BACK, maybe. he definitely didnt start it. and he did hit Lleyton with the volley, you can not say that was on purpose and anyways, Lleyton didnt acknowledge the apology despite Coria waiting a long while!

Saying 'come on' is alright, calling ppl of higher authority "poofhead" and or "spastic" is not!

Your point about him being gritty and not being that talented is a good one but to me, if you're not good enough do do something within its rules, you shouldnt do it! You should not go into a job interview, start swearing and disrespecting the interviewer to make up for your lack of skills in order to get the job. There is someone out there who deserves it more!

sanjane

Juniors
Another thing, I can't believe his whinge about the Argentinians' take on the courts. After his whole "they should have prepared the Australian open just the way I WANTED IT" whinge! FFS!!!!

And Raider 69, the mentally tough don't need to try and impose themselves to make up for a lack of ability!

aqua_duck

Coach
Raider_69 said:
Hewy is a champion
passionate australia that loves to win, i love the way he plays
What you love watching a little dickhead run around the baseline waiting for his opponent to make unforced errors?
There's a reason why he's Federer's bitch, its because he's waiting for Federer to make errors that federer simply isn't going to make.

Latest posts