What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bar Argentina and Brasil Sth American football is not going to hold up against the European nations.
Which European nations? You mean the best ones? Argentina and Brazil represent one sixth of the South American nations. One sixth of the European nations includes:

France
Spain
England
Belgium
Netherlands
Portugal
Italy

Argentina and Brazil are ranked ahead of most of those.

hindy111

Post Whore
Which European nations? You mean the best ones? Argentina and Brazil represent one sixth of the South American nations. One sixth of the European nations includes:

France
Spain
England
Belgium
Netherlands
Portugal
Italy

Argentina and Brazil are ranked ahead of most of those.

You lost your f**king peanut.
Being good has nothing to do with being poor. We've just proved it

Suitman

Post Whore
Anyway..........

In their debut game in the A-League, Auckland FC lead Brisbane Roar 1 - 0 at ht - albeit from an own goal from Roar.
It was announced as a sellout but I see plenty of empty seats.
Even still, there's over 20 000 at Mt Smart. Atmosphere has been great. It seems a rather knowledgeable crowd.
Despite some criticism on here re the standard of the A-League, the game has been entertaining. Yes, it's no EPL or even SPL for that matter, but it's not the worst league in the world by a long shot.
Maybe if more people actually supported it the game would have more money to invest which may improve the standard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You lost your f**king peanut.
Being good has nothing to do with being poor. We've just proved it
We're talking about individual players, not countries ffs. The top ten ranked FIFA nations are nearly all in the top 25 largest economies. The only exceptions are Portugal (49th) and Colombia (42nd). So obviously being wealthy helps at the national level. But I don't think many rich kids are making it as professional soccer players.

hindy111

Post Whore
Anyway..........

In their debut game in the A-League, Auckland FC lead Brisbane Roar 1 - 0 at ht - albeit from an own goal from Roar.
It was announced as a sellout but I see plenty of empty seats.
Even still, there's over 20 000 at Mt Smart. Atmosphere has been great. It seems a rather knowledgeable crowd.
Despite some criticism on here re the standard of the A-League, the game has been entertaining. Yes, it's no EPL or even SPL for that matter, but it's not the worst league in the world by a long shot.
Maybe if more people actually supported it the game would have more money to invest which may improve the standard.

The issue for A league is it has no media attention anymore. You hear nothing. I didn't even know the season had started tbh. Huge problem

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No. Its because better coaching and techniques help
Right, and presumably there's no incentive for Indian cricket clubs or government organisations to spend that money on poor kids. But in soccer there are plenty such organisations (professional clubs) who do have that incentive.

Suitman

Post Whore
The issue for A league is it has no media attention anymore. You hear nothing. I didn't even know the season had started tbh. Huge problem
That certainly doesn't help. 7 and 9 don't care tbh and will do anything to kill football.
10 (and Paramount+) broadcast it but nobody watches 10. The ABC are more AFL focused.
It's tough for the A-League to get any traction in the media because most media outlets have their own AFL, League and cricket interests at heart and if they don't have the rights to the sport, they don't give a shite about it.
This is the battle that football is up against in Oz.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That certainly doesn't help. 7 and 9 don't care tbh and will do anything to kill football.
10 (and Paramount+) broadcast it but nobody watches 10. The ABC are more AFL focused.
It's tough for the A-League to get any traction in the media because most media outlets have their own AFL, League and cricket interests at heart and if they don't have the rights to the sport, they don't give a shite about it.

Which is a crying shame.

Football in Australia deserves more than this.

Anyway - two hours to kickoff!

hindy111

Post Whore

If it was on free to air I'd watch more. Sbs for me was all about football. The world game. Then the EPL stopped them from showing the highlights package and I and many others lost interest in football. It's a shame.
Actually the death of LES MURRAY should not be underestimated. This guy was HUGE. I better repeat. He Was HUGE for football in this country. He was the voice of football.
Who is now?

Suitman

Post Whore
Actually the death of LES MURRAY should not be underestimated. This guy was HUGE. I better repeat. He Was HUGE for football in this country. He was the voice of football.
Who is now?

Simon Hill is the voice of football now.
Just listen to his commentary here.........
He quite liked the whole Parra stadium "f**k the Victory" Chant.

Last edited: