What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead lifts tips required

abpanther

Staff member
Maybe I should drop to 5x5 for my big compound stuff and keep my set up for the isolation exercises?

Also, all good to alternate between barbell and dumbell rows?

abpanther

Staff member
I always thought more reps at a slightly lighter weight helps you maintain better technique moreso than doing less reps and trying to lift heavier?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If you are listing for aesthetics its probably not a bad idea to use dumbells as a beginner because your stronger side will cheat and your weaker side will lag behind.

As for your last post its all relative. the point of starting strength is to make you stronger (obviously) so its neither really here nor there if you start off a little bit lighter on the 5*5 to maintain form if you constantly go up in weight as the programme asks you to. There are a few modifications of starting strength out there because SS uses a few esoteric lifts.

Also you aren't going to get too big. It takes a lot of dedication and food to get big. You won't look like a bodybuilder by accident. Getting big is a lot of work.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
As for your last post its all relative. the point of starting strength is to make you stronger (obviously) so its neither really here nor there if you start off a little bit lighter on the 5*5 to maintain form if you constantly go up in weight as the programme asks you to. There are a few modifications of starting strength out there because SS uses a few esoteric lifts.

Well I'd only really call one of the lifts taught in SS at all esoteric (the power clean). Everything else is vanilla stuff used in almost any basic programme worth anything.

While we're on the subject Aasgard have just released a Kindle version of SS 3rd Ed., and it's only $10, which IMO makes is an essential purchase for anyone who lifts weights... great value considering you can then put it on your Kindle, Smartphone AND read it on any computer with a web browser.

Also you aren't going to get too big. It takes a lot of dedication and food to get big. You won't look like a bodybuilder by accident. Getting big is a lot of work.

Absolutely. Getting big (not fat) takes a metric f**kload of hard work and eating. LIfting heavy for a year won't make you a monster, but it will make you reasonably strong and you'll look good!

adamkungl

Immortal
On that note, I've gained about 2 kilos in about 3 weeks since I started paying attention to diet. I don't *seem* to be gaining fat, and I'm certainly getting stronger quicker. Another month or so of this, then I plan to try lose whatever flab I have in time for footy season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
On that note, I've gained about 2 kilos in about 3 weeks since I started paying attention to diet. I don't *seem* to be gaining fat, and I'm certainly getting stronger quicker. Another month or so of this, then I plan to try lose whatever flab I have in time for footy season.

I'm trying to go in the other direction, have dropped the diet down to 2000 net calories/day maximum (which is 4-500 under maintenance level for me) while maintaing protein intake at 200g/day. Goal is to get under 100kg by march (about 105 now) while still maintaining strength, hopefully should still be able to make a few strength gains in that time too. Am currently lifting 3 days a week and running on 3 others with one full rest day. Have completely cut out alcohol for that period too.

abpanther

Staff member
So is everyone here pretty much doing the Stronglifts 5x5 set up?

I didnt really like the idea of doing squats 3 times a week

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm trying to go in the other direction, have dropped the diet down to 2000 net calories/day maximum (which is 4-500 under maintenance level for me) while maintaing protein intake at 200g/day. Goal is to get under 100kg by march (about 105 now) while still maintaining strength, hopefully should still be able to make a few strength gains in that time too. Am currently lifting 3 days a week and running on 3 others with one full rest day. Have completely cut out alcohol for that period too.

I was at 76kg, aiming to get above 80 (173cm).
Weights 3-4 times/week + 2 days oztag.

Have not cut out alcohol :sarcasm:

So is everyone here pretty much doing the Stronglifts 5x5 set up?

I didnt really like the idea of doing squats 3 times a week

No, though I used to follow something similar. Adapt it slightly to focus on whatever you want.

Joker's Wild

Coach
My grip is pretty weak due to dislocating my fingers playing Rugby and a broken wrist a couple of years back, and I found it was limiting my deadlift. I have recently started using some lifting straps and its made a pretty decent difference

I recommend them to anyone who is having grip strength issues

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well I'd only really call one of the lifts taught in SS at all esoteric (the power clean). Everything else is vanilla stuff used in almost any basic programme worth anything.

While we're on the subject Aasgard have just released a Kindle version of SS 3rd Ed., and it's only $10, which IMO makes is an essential purchase for anyone who lifts weights... great value considering you can then put it on your Kindle, Smartphone AND read it on any computer with a web browser.

Doesn't it also use Pendlay rows when it could just use bentover DB rows which would keep both left and right side developing at the same speed and is easier to get tips on in the gym itself.

Its been a while since I used a starting strength programme though.

Thomas

First Grade
I've been doing the SS 5x5 routine for about a month now. Noticed some serious gains and generally break a PB every week or so. I haven't lost a lot of weight but I'm feeling fitter and my clothes are baggier. I do squats 3 times a week but only one of those sessions is a real work session. The other two I basically do my 5 work sets at a lighter weight just to work on my form.

I've also started using foam rollers. Geez, they certainly do help.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Doesn't it also use Pendlay rows when it could just use bentover DB rows which would keep both left and right side developing at the same speed and is easier to get tips on in the gym itself.

No (just checked my SS book), the only lifts in standard SS are:

squat
bench
deadlift
press
power clean

the rows are in the assistance excercises section but they're not part of the core SS programme anyway.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tip 1 - dont drop the bar onto your feet!

How exactly would that happen? the central part of the bar is still well off the floor when the whole barbell is at rest because it's resting on the weights... and if you're too weak to be doing deads with 20kg plates you should be using training plates to keep it at the right height.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
No (just checked my SS book), the only lifts in standard SS are:

squat
bench
deadlift
press
power clean

the rows are in the assistance excercises section but they're not part of the core SS programme anyway.

I am happy to admit that I was wrong here. Something like SS is hugely important for anyone starting out in lifting. I don't want to scare anyone off :p

Snoochies

First Grade
Just started my 3rd week of 5X5. Brilliant workout that I can do during lunch. I use to hate squats but love them now.

Thomas

First Grade
I do the 5x5 exercises and then some isolation work or crossfit style exercises.