What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead lifts tips required

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah for most people their lifts go something like this:

Deadlift is heaviest
squat is a bit less than dealift
bench is quite a lot less than squat
power clean is same or slightly less than bench
press is lightest.

But depending on physioligy/preference etc there's some people who squat more than they DL, definitely. Mine are practically equal right now, last sessions my DL was only 2.5kg more thna my squat, though the squat is a PB and I've DLed 10kg heavier.

If you bench more than you squat though something's wrong!

abpanther

Staff member
Which SS book do you have? I've got both Starting Strength 2nd and 3rd editions and both teach power cleans. a lot of the modified programmes based on SS use rows though, mainly for the kinda of reasoning that TEP outlined earlier in the thread.

You can add in a few assistance excercises, a lot of people do. Dips, chins and pull-ups are all good :)

Sorry I thought you were referring to Stronglifts 5x5.

I got one emailed to me recently and it specifically states not to do Power Cleans (as they require too much training), but rather to stick with rows.

Ok I changed up my routine and as of this morning I've started my 5x5 routine, tried to go as light as possible (half of the max I have done so far in the last 2 weeks). Seemed very easy right now but we see what happens, you recommend I go up by 5kgs until it gets hard? 10kgs on deadlifts?

What I have decided to do is do my 5x5 and then add some exercises afterwards that I still wanna do (e.g. today was shoulders/legs day, so after I did my three 5x5 exercises I did calves, lunges, upright rows, side raises, etc). I'm making sure though that I do them after my 5x5 so it's not impacted. I figure to keep it short I've reduced these exercises to only 3 sets, how many reps do you think I should aim for (I did 10-8-6 today)?

Olympic bar... I'd feel kinda unco doing a standing press with DBs, and I don't do it seated as standing unsupported whilst pressing is an important element of the movement IMO.

Thats not to say it's the only right answer though.

Really? You don't find that standing up you arch your back and hurt yourself? I did them today with an olympic bar, seated under the power rack.

So when standing do you bring the bar down in front of your head or behind? I was doing clean and press last week, sounds similar.

Thanks again

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sorry I thought you were referring to Stronglifts 5x5.

I got one emailed to me recently and it specifically states not to do Power Cleans (as they require too much training), but rather to stick with rows.

Yeah opinion seems to be divided on cleans, I'm not gonna try to argue it.

you recommend I go up by 5kgs until it gets hard? 10kgs on deadlifts?

I'd use 2.5kg increments on squats (cause you do them every workout) and 5kg on deads. 2.5kg on the presses too, but when things get hard with them you might want to drop down to 1kg increments. You'll probably need to buy your own 0.5kg fractional plates for that.
once deads get heavy you might need to drop the increments to 2.5kg there too.

What I have decided to do is do my 5x5 and then add some exercises afterwards that I still wanna do (e.g. today was shoulders/legs day, so after I did my three 5x5 exercises I did calves, lunges, upright rows, side raises, etc). I'm making sure though that I do them after my 5x5 so it's not impacted. I figure to keep it short I've reduced these exercises to only 3 sets, how many reps do you think I should aim for (I did 10-8-6 today)?

Doing them after your 5x5 lifts is good, nfi on reps really sorry. I only really do dips and pull-ups, which are to failure.

Really? You don't find that standing up you arch your back and hurt yourself? I did them today with an olympic bar, seated under the power rack.

So when standing do you bring the bar down in front of your head or behind? I was doing clean and press last week, sounds similar.

Thanks again

A bit of an arch is okay, actually necessary for balance. Bar comes down in front, onto to deltoids.

If power cleans require too much training, funny how you were already doing them!

abpanther

Staff member
If power cleans require too much training, funny how you were already doing them!

Yeah I just pulled the exercise out of Arnie's encyclopedia.

Wouldn't clean and press though replace overhead press not barbell rows as it's predominantly working your shoulders?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I just pulled the exercise out of Arnie's encyclopedia.

Wouldn't clean and press though replace overhead press not barbell rows as it's predominantly working your shoulders?

THe press part is, the clean part is more lower body.

I don't do clean & press though. just cleans. (do press as a separate exercise)

IFR33K

Coach
Thanks for the tips guys. Nailed dead lifts yesterday, pretty sure my technique is fine.

Can some one please give me a run down on strong lifts 5 x 5.

I am currently training 2 body parts per session, 4 sessions a week.

Started out as 6 foot 76 kg kid in 1998, and got to 88 kg at 10 percent fat 2.5 years later. All natural of course.

Will strong lifts be of any benefit???????

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thanks for the tips guys. Nailed dead lifts yesterday, pretty sure my technique is fine.

Can some one please give me a run down on strong lifts 5 x 5.

I am currently training 2 body parts per session, 4 sessions a week.

Started out as 6 foot 76 kg kid in 1998, and got to 88 kg at 10 percent fat 2.5 years later. All natural of course.

Will strong lifts be of any benefit???????

Yeah I reckon it will- I trained a fair bit a few years ago and then got lazy for a few years, then started training again on a similar programme to stronglifts 5x5 (Starting Strength) a few months ago and I've made good gains in that time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Off to the gym now for squats 'n deads, I may very well squat more than I DL today unless I decide to back off on the squats a bit.

abpanther

Staff member
Just a question regarding squats, what do you guys do when you get to squatting heavy on your own and you fail?

Do you have bars set on the power rack so if you fail you try to lift the weight over your head and place it down on the bars?

Just wondering

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just a question regarding squats, what do you guys do when you get to squatting heavy on your own and you fail?

Do you have bars set on the power rack so if you fail you try to lift the weight over your head and place it down on the bars?

Just wondering

Yup, just make sure you do your squats in the rack with the safety bars at the right height and you'e fine. A while back I was testing my 1 rep maximums and I failed with 160kg on the bar, dumped onto the safety bars and crawled out with nothing hurt but my pride :(

Latest posts