What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Collis signs with Bulldogs

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I dont know if true but he is contracted to WT's until end of 09 season- he has been one fo the players under the microsope of the forum members here as to whether he should move on and not be re-signed.

If he has taken a positive step, looked for fresh fields and got an good offer- take it- good on him.

He is good on his day but less than average on others- fresh fields and a new coach will probably help him. Lord knows Teflon Tim has had his chance.

aids

Bench
was supposed to be a done deal, when we were trying to pick up elford in 09, but he went to the panthers so collis is staying around.

westie

Bench
If Collis is allowed to leave, I will personally light the torches and sharpen the stakes.

In between watching the Dogs laughing all the way to Homebush with 2 of the 3 best young centres going.

westie

Bench
I bet you can pin-point exactly where he went bad. Coincidentally around the time he got hurt. Sheens still thought it a good idea to play him even though he was too sore to kick.

And he has had good games since. But I can guarrantee he didn't have Ryan outside him.

I bet you can pin-point exactly where he went bad. Coincidentally around the time he got hurt. Sheens still thought it a good idea to play him even though he was too sore to kick.

And he has had good games since. But I can guarrantee he didn't have Ryan outside him.

Yeah, I've seen him have some great games. But he hasn't bounced back all that well since he got injured.

I'm a bit dense, westie, are you saying Ryan is a crap winger? Or having Ryan outside would have made Collis better?

I don't think our wingers get much ball from our centres at all - Collis is one who at least has the potential to do it, unlike Lawrence (at the moment) and Dean Halatau.

Bobby Meldrum

Juniors
Collis is a very talented player who has played injured due to Sheens ignorance and that hurt his confidence and performance. When fit he is very silky and a class centre.

Wouldn't be too shattered if he left. Lawrence is easily better than him, and I like what I see from Moltzen and Ryan. Collis made an impact in 06, but since then has been average at best.

Eddie.

Bench
Collis looks like a classy player, however he needs to start to make his mark.

Some of his performances last season were awful. The list of excuses such as The coach, injuries, and who is playing outside of him don't wash in the end. Throwing flick passes into touch or falling off tackles are not the fault of others. Ultimately a player has a large degree of control over their own performances.

Like Fulton, Gibbs, Halatau, Galloway, Tuiaki and co, Collis needs to step up and prove he is a good First Grader. These guys are not babys any more, most have played 50 games now and inconsistent performances week in week out have been tiresome. These sorts of guys have been undroppable the past 3 years, and the Wests Tigers have missed the finals all three seasons.

ALot of fans are sick and tired of Sheens, not least me. Some of these players might not be excelling under him either and look to blame him. However these guys are professionals, many who have been mentioned as potentially acheiving higher honours. They owe it themselves to step up and reach their potential. If these players are listing the same feeble excuses that westie rolls out for them as fact, then we are in real trouble.

Last edited:
Collis looks like a classy player, however he needs to start to make his mark.

Some of his performances last season were awful. The list of excuses such as The coach, injuries, and who is playing outside of him don't wash in the end. Throwing flick passes into touch or falling off tackles are not the fault of others. Ultimately a player has a large degree of control over their own performances.

Like Fulton, Gibbs, Halatau, Galloway, Tuiaki and co, Collis needs to step up and prove he is a good First Grader. These guys are not babys any more, most have played 50 games now and inconsistent performances week in week out have been tiresome. These sorts of guys have been undroppable the past 3 years, and the Wests Tigers have missed the finals all three seasons.

ALot of fans are sick and tired of Sheens, not least me. Some of these players might not be excelling under him either and look to blame him. However these guys are professionals, many who have been mentioned as potentially acheiving higher honours. They owe it themselves to step up and reach their potential. If these players are listing the same feeble excuses that westie rolls out for them as fact, then we are in real trouble.

Halatau and Galloway stepped up last year imo

super_coach

First Grade
You have to start to wonder why Collis and Lawerence at times had so little impact in 2008, both class players. Okay Lawerence to be fair got better as the year went on especially in defense. So you have to ask question about the service they were getting from the inside players and all the lateral running.

Collis had hammy question marks all year, but he is a real class player, give him quality ball and he will deliver just like lawerence. Hate to see him in a side that runs hard and straight

tiger_nick

Bench
collis is all class however sometimes seems uninterested in getting involved. no way id let him go. its not his fault he was:

a) injured all last year

b) played injured for the whole year

c) only getting the ball when he went into dummyhalf

westie

Bench
Yeah, I've seen him have some great games. But he hasn't bounced back all that well since he got injured.

I'm a bit dense, westie, are you saying Ryan is a crap winger? Or having Ryan outside would have made Collis better?

I don't think our wingers get much ball from our centres at all - Collis is one who at least has the potential to do it, unlike Lawrence (at the moment) and Dean Halatau.

In my opinion, Collis uses his winger as a vital part of his game. If his winger is a threat, he has the ability to beat his man one on one or send his outside man away if the opposition double up.

As it is, he is doubled up on from the start, if he actually gets any ball. If he does get the ball to Ryan, he's caught within 5 meters anyway.

Rieck and Crockett, ignoring their other failings, were genuine threats and Collis looked sh*t hot inside them. They scored trys or made breaks down-town far more often than Ryan.

Ryan is a solid premier league centre, but boring as all hell on a FG wing.

braz

Juniors
It is a strong rumour i have heard from several people, but yeah the title is wrong. I wonder if Collis has a get-out clause?

I heard this rumour yesterday from a bulldogs mate too.

Not sure how true it is.

Wouldn't suprise me as we would be searching for cash to try and keep farah and marshall.

N.C.

Juniors
Collis is one of the best I have seen at putting his winger away down the flank (theoretically). He has great footwork and holds the ball well, and seems to intuitively find the right line to draw in defending players while keeping them in two minds about what he is going to do. It's a real shame that for the most part he's had Fitzhenry and McDonnell playing outside him. Neither of these players have been particularly good at reading their inside man and finishing off what he starts...

It's also no surprise that, since we have no short kicking game, he's not had his fair share of points off chips and grubbers close to the line. Even Whatuira (pre-injury) struggled to score off some of our 5th tackle plays in his last season with us. Compare that to his haul when he was running onto Prince's attacking kicks...