What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Widders

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parra R 4 Me said:
My son who is 9, had to do a school project on an famous indigenous Australian. So instead of doing Arthur Beetson, Kathy Freeman etc, he asked his teacher if he could do his on Dean Widders, he was told go for it. Well after much research and help from fellow Eels supporters he handed in his project on Dean and got a "A" 100/100. He posted the project to Dean and received a personal written letter from Dean thanking him very much on choosing him for his project either through he would not class himself as a famous indigenous Australian like Arthur and Kathy. But in my son's eyes he is as famous as them. He was disappointed when I told him Dean was leaving Parra to go to Souths next year. We are hoping to fly to Sydney next month to watch the boys play Brisbane, so Sean can meet Dean before his departure, as Dean has asked to meet him.

great story, thanks for that.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
no I'm not..I don't believe he's not worth the sort of money that Souths are paying him for next season and beyond...but in no way implying that he or other bench players are more inferior than any other player.

are you implying that i can't have an opinion??

You're confusing me. One one hand you're saying he is worth the money souths are paying him but then you're saying you're comfortable with the decision we made. I have no where you got the idea I said you can't have an opinion. :crazy:

Before I thought you were saying bench players aren't worth as much money as starting players.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
You're confusing me. One one hand you're saying he is worth the money souths are paying him but then you're saying you're comfortable with the decision we made. I have no where you got the idea I said you can't have an opinion. :crazy:

Before I thought you were saying bench players aren't worth as much money as starting players.

he's obviously worth it to Souths and Lucablight but he's not worth it to Parramatta and eelavation.

I'm simply stating my opinion, you know it can actually differ to alot of others and no one is right or wrong until we actually see what Dean produces next year.

* Brett Finch is more important to Parramatta than he is to to Easts

* Roy Asotasi is more important to Souths than he is to Canterbury.

* Simon Woolford is more important to St George than what he is to Canberra.

* Craig Stapleton is more important to Cronulla than he is to Penrith.

* Dean Widders is more important to Souths than he is to Parramatta.

understand?

strider

Post Whore
my take on Widders being allowed to leave is that it seems clear Hagan just didn't rate him enough to offer bigger money

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
he's obviously worth it to Souths and Lucablight but he's not worth it to Parramatta and eelavation.

I'm simply stating my opinion, you know it can actually differ to alot of others and no one is right or wrong until we actually see what Dean produces next year.

* Brett Finch is more important to Parramatta than he is to to Easts

* Roy Asotasi is more important to Souths than he is to Canterbury.

* Simon Woolford is more important to St George than what he is to Canberra.

* Craig Stapleton is more important to Cronulla than he is to Penrith.

* Dean Widders is more important to Souths than he is to Parramatta.

understand?

I disagree with you about Asotasi. He was very important for the Bulldogs but they couldn't fit him under their cap and he was forced out. What makes the Widders situation worse is that this wasn't the case with us as we could have afforded him but chose to let him go. You can go on about paying overs and such but the fact is an extra couple of thousand dollars sitting in your bank acount doesn't win you footy games but players do. In the end I have to say I am not convinced that I have heard a good enough reason to know why he was let go. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
my take on Widders being allowed to leave is that it seems clear Hagan just didn't rate him enough to offer bigger money

There is a point at where you have to say for any player is he worth that much?

lucablight

First Grade
strider said:

If we were replacing him with someone better using that "bigger money" I would have no problem with that but the fact is that we are not. It defeats the whole purpose of saving "bigger money".

lucablight

First Grade
The Colonel said:
There is a point at where you have to say for any player is he worth that much?

I think you also have to look at other factors. I believe in certain situations it's ok to pay overs for players. For example I have no problem paying slightly over for a player if there's no one better on the market to replace him and the money you save is going to just sit there and do nothing or go towards lesser players. Didn't we pretty much do that with Tahu and Riddell?

The Colonel

Immortal
lucablight said:
You can go on about paying overs and such but the fact is an extra couple of thousand dollars sitting in your bank acount doesn't win you footy games but players do.

The difference between the two offers was more than an extra couple of thousand - we could be talking tens or hundreds.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
I disagree with you about Asotasi. He was very important for the Bulldogs but they couldn't fit him under their cap and he was forced out. What makes the Widders situation worse is that this wasn't the case with us as we could have afforded him but chose to let him go. You can go on about paying overs and such but the fact is an extra couple of thousand dollars sitting in your bank acount doesn't win you footy games but players do. In the end I have to say I am not convinced that I have heard a good enough reason to know why he was let go. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

to a point you may be correct however if Canterbury wanted him so badly they would of done something about it yonks ago.

he's obviosly not as important to them as SBW, Mason, Bobcat and Matua.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
to a point you may be correct however if Canterbury wanted him so badly they would of done something about it yonks ago.

he's obviosly not as important to them as SBW, Mason, Bobcat and Matua.

Yeah but the point I'm making is that we were not in a similar position to Canterbury. Also in their situation there's only so many superstar players you can fit in. If we wanted to retain Widders we very well could have but the fact is we didn't.

The Colonel

Immortal
lucablight said:
I think you also have to look at other factors. I believe in certain situations it's ok to pay overs for players. For example I have no problem paying slightly over for a player if there's no one better on the market to replace him and the money you save is going to just sit there and do nothing or go towards lesser players. Didn't we pretty much do that with Tahu and Riddell?

It is likely we did. Problem is where is overs drawn? If I said that rumours suggested that Dean was offered close to double what we were offering would that be considered too much?

I think Dean is a great player but for mine he hasn't done enough to justify being paid the rumoured $240,000 a season just yet.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
way more..

How much more and how much did we have under the cap? We found enough to pay Lowrie and Finch and at this moment I would say Widders is more valuable than Finch and Lowrie.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
How much more and how much did we have under the cap? We found enough to pay Lowrie and Finch and at this moment I would say Widders is more valuable than Finch and Lowrie.

Again, I disagree but that's just my opinion.

yy_cheng

Coach
That's not the point.

That's your opinion which you have a right to.

However, Hagan's opinion is probably alot different and he probably thinks Lowrie is a better proposition (for the money) than Widders is.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I believe the way our club is run is that we have in mind what we want to offer every player we have coming off contract and every player we are interested in on the open market. We (the Parramatta club) are not prepared to compromise on these offers as we probably have a budget set in stone. This is why, I believe, we never pay overs which I totally agree with. Rememeber no one player is bigger than the club

Now people may not agree with our valuation of players, but I have a lot more faith in the people involved with these decisions than the punter on the street because they have to live and die by the decisions they make. If people don't like the decisions, do something about it and join the football club (or whatever you have to do to vote)

yy_cheng

Coach
Further to the Hagan thing, correct me if I am wrong people, Hagan prefers the no nonsense forwards. Leave the play making to the 9, 7, 6.

Using Widders as a bash and barge is probably not going to do Widders any good.