What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death of the first class centre

RWB

Bench
I wouldn't really classify Morris, Hodges & Jennings as great defenders. They've all improved, well not so much Hodges but they're still all pretty average defenders.

Wighton is one that impresses me a lot, Gagai too. Both are very good at putting their winger away which seems to be the most common flaw of centres these days imo.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If he was going to be around for longer then next season i'd chuck tate in the hat as well.

Linnett isn't fast and doesn't have dazzling footwork but just runs great lines and runs them harder then most backrowers and defence is solid.

Agree on the original post as there is a pretty big gap to bridge when you go from Hodges/jennings/morris/inglis down to the likes of reed/pomeroy/sau/ayshford etc

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I wouldn't really classify Morris, Hodges & Jennings as great defenders. They've all improved, well not so much Hodges but they're still all pretty average defenders.

Wighton is one that impresses me a lot, Gagai too. Both are very good at putting their winger away which seems to be the most common flaw of centres these days imo.

Jennings IMO is the second best defensive centre in the game behind Linnet.

Someone

Bench
come 2014 you might be adding Hopoate to the list of first class centres, if he plays there.

Crazy Steve

Juniors
Even though I am definitely not a Manly fan, I still think Jamie Lyon is one of the best centres in the game.

Brimmer

Juniors
Jack Whighton comes with huge raps through all grades and he absolutely stings them in defence - when he gets it right.

He can overread the play a bit at the moment and has left the door wide open on a number of occasions. Having said that he's played only 15 games and I've got no doubt with a little more experience this kid will be the real deal.

I've been impressed with crokers defence this year. In the past I've criticised him as being a bit of a turnstyle. Looks like he's worked extremely hard in that area. Now... if he would pass the ball to his winger more often I think he would be a standout.

Canberra also have the 2 Lee's coming through - Edrick and Brenko which also look the goods.

Tone83

Juniors
Shouldn't hodges be in the best defensive centres discussion? He's consistently in the best centres discussion and he hasn't done anything offensively since 2009.

Mr Saab

Referee
Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Mad Dog says hi. That day will never, ever be forgoten. Owned by a bloke using a walking stick to get on to the field.

Dont forget 2012 when Hodges made him look like a 10 yr old.

Latest posts