What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decision 2011

nibbs

Bench
My heart tells me Manu Vatuvei will re-sign. Or will he? Either way I hope that the event is televised at a prime time..

Discuss

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
If we lose Manu, I think it would be the most bone-headed thing the club has ever done, and that's saying something.

Skinner

Coach
I just cannot see Manu leaving New Zealand. I really, really can't. He is still good mates with all the guys he played with through the age grades and rep teams. The network is bloody strong.

His manager, however, is a different proposition...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
there's absolutely no reason why we should lose him. it's a bit of a worry that's it's become as big of a deal as it has, but really it's probably his manager looking to get a bit more coin out of the warriors.

One Warrior

Bench
If warriors don't resign Manu it will be close to the worst decision in the club's history, Manu is the club's franchise player, personally I don't think they will let him go, needs to be on what Tate was on, plus third party top ups if they can be arranged, he is that valuable a player to the team. I also don't believe Manu would ever play for another NRL team, if we lose him it would be to a huge deal from the super league or French rugby that we could not compete with.

ozbash

Referee
should be signed for life.

on hauraki they were saying he wants to stay and that there are no interested nrl clubs after him,, which I found hard to believe..

hitman82

Bench
I'm certain is Manu hit the market half a dozen clubs would throw him offers... his simply IS that good.

How much do you guys reckon the big fella is worth to our club?

In my honest opinion he's our most valuable player, and the only one I would really consider a "marquee" level player.

Recently did a stat-wank and he is in the top 3 wingers in the comp, despite missing games and being on half a leg in some games. That's not even taking into account the things stats can't record.

Take him out of this season and we lose at least 3 more games.

If we lose big Manu I will be absolutely shattered.

What I'd like to happen:
Manu re-signs until he is 28/29. When that time comes around he goes to French rugby or Japanese rugby and earns a million a season to set him and his family up for life.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i imagine there would be anti-tampering restrictions and such involved, similar to how the chooks couldn't go after dugan.

Skinner

Coach
4:00 AM Saturday Jul 24, 2010

The Warriors are going to have to show Manu Vatuvei the money if they are to keep their star winger beyond next season.

With the renegotiation of his contract on the table, Vatuvei says he wants to remain at the club that has nurtured him since he was a teenager. But only if the price is right. If not, he'll test his value on the open market next year.

"I'd love to stay but I've got to try to find something that will look after my family," he said. "But if everything is all right, sweet as."

Having recovered from a serious case of the dropsies that threatened to derail his career in 2007 to become the most potent wing in the NRL, Vatuvei's market value is at an all-time high.

"I don't know about that," he said. "I'll find out my value soon. Hopefully it is good so I can stay but, y'know, anything can happen. If I'm on the open market next year we'll see what happens.

"I just leave all that to my manager [Peter Brown]. I try to keep away from it and just concentrate on my game."

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah wouldn't comment on specifics, but with Steve Price having retired and Brent Tate leaving, Vatuvei is in line to become the club's highest earning player.

The 24-year-old has continued his torrid pace of recent seasons, scoring 12 tries in 11 outings this year to take his tally to 70 in 105 games.
As well as his on-field performance, the club will have to factor in his commercial value and appeal to fans. The Beast is undoubtedly worth plenty of bums on seats.

"I obviously wouldn't talk about salaries but he certainly should be one of the top earning wingers in the game," Scurrah said.

"He is one of our top players and one of our most easily recognised players, with probably the biggest fan following as well. So we'd certainly love to keep him at the club.

"You just have to be at the games to see what the fans think of him.
"We are still in discussion with Peter and Manu and we have expressed a desire to try and keep him. But nothing has been resolved yet."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10660824

Skinner

Coach
I have no issues with Brownie, but he is a player manager and it is his role to obtain the best possible deal for his product (and thus himself).

If he can get Manu a gig somewhere for more money than the Warriors are offering then it would be sayonara baby.....simple really.

Micistm

Bench
If we lose Manu, I think it would be the most bone-headed thing the club has ever done, and that's saying something.

Yep. This is one guy they should be pulling out all stops to keep, for the face of the Warriors as well as his on field.
Obviously if some French rugby club or something comes in with a massive chequebook and an offer too good to refuse I'd be gutted but wish him well...but I'd be filthy if the Warriors let him slip to another NRL club. Couldn't see it happening though. But then, the Warriors were dumb enough to get rid of Ali a few years ago, something that's still a head scratcher

Rich102

Staff member
Makes me think of Ricki Herbert. Lowest paid coach in the Football World Cup. $50,000 last year.
Came home and re-signed with the Phoenix for a "modest increase" because he "still had work to do".

My admiration for him is immense.

One Warrior

Bench
Makes me think of Ricki Herbert. Lowest paid coach in the Football World Cup. $50,000 last year.
Came home and re-signed with the Phoenix for a "modest increase" because he "still had work to do".

My admiration for him is immense.

Agree entirely, had big offers too.