What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decline of quality in the NRL

siv

First Grade
The issue is not State based league

Its part-time v full-time professional squads

Lets take Penrith

They tried to promote A grade clubs into reserve grade. First with St Marys and then Windsor

In the end it was all about cost cutting not paying for players 26-40 coaching staff and facilities

You need about 45 players to run 2 squads as you will get about 10 players out as a season progresses

NRL started addressing the problem of NYC (U20s) by moving U20s back under NSW Cup and expanding the NRL squad to 30 + 6 development players

But the issue of part-time v full-time still remains

Plus we are seeing the playing standard gap that used to exist between NRL and NSW Cup move to between NSW Cup and Flegg

I would prefer to see a return of the Presidents Cup layer as U22s with Flegg in U20s revert back to junior 9 round format

With Wenty Norths Newtown Mounties Blacktown just being a rebadged NRL Parra Easts Cronulla Canberra Manly reserve grade team

We need to decide if we want second division / third division / fourth division eg NSW Cup / RMC / Sydney Shield

I have a preference for a proper NRL badged RG and U22s even if only in NSW run in a professional mode

Plus part-time NSW Cup to be a true second division with NSW Country and better RMC Cup teams. With RMC and Sydney Shield to merge

Homo man69

Juniors
I’ve always wondered how pro/rel would go in league. Just have it one up and one down. Bring in png ,Darwin,Newton ,second bris,Perth, Adelaide and second Melbourne into 2nd division. Would make the bottom of the ladder into an interesting affair when season is ending.

firechild

First Grade
I’ve always wondered how pro/rel would go in league. Just have it one up and one down. Bring in png ,Darwin,Newton ,second bris,Perth, Adelaide and second Melbourne into 2nd division. Would make the bottom of the ladder into an interesting affair when season is ending.
Problem with a promotion/relegation system is that it drives a league where the top players will only sign with clubs that they think are going to do well with actually creates a wider gap between the top and bottom sides rather than fixing it. Would any elite player sign with perennial failures like Parra or the Titans? Alternatively, elite players will sign on one year contracts so that they can move on if the club fails. These clubs will also be willing to pay above market rate in an attempt to avoid relegation which ultimately will cripple their depth. Not great for building a club.

I don't follow soccer, but I know that in any given season Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool will be amongst the competition leaders and relegation will be fought out by clubs non-soccer fans may have heard of on the news once or twice.

Springs09

Juniors
Problem with a promotion/relegation system is that it drives a league where the top players will only sign with clubs that they think are going to do well with actually creates a wider gap between the top and bottom sides rather than fixing it. Would any elite player sign with perennial failures like Parra or the Titans? Alternatively, elite players will sign on one year contracts so that they can move on if the club fails. These clubs will also be willing to pay above market rate in an attempt to avoid relegation which ultimately will cripple their depth. Not great for building a club.

I don't follow soccer, but I know that in any given season Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool will be amongst the competition leaders and relegation will be fought out by clubs non-soccer fans may have heard of on the news once or twice.

Well that's not just soccer, it's the same in the Super League. Although it has become a little more up and down recently, Leeds, St Helens and Wigan are all thereabouts to the point where they are the only teams to have one a comp in the last 13 years. The bottom teams are almost always made up of Widnes, Salford, Hull KR, London, Leigh, Wakefield apart from the odd occasion. A big name in form will pretty much never be picked up by a smaller club and up-and-comers in the smaller clubs are picked up by a bigger club pretty quick.

siv

First Grade

First promotion relegation wont work while we have two issues
- 1 - players 18-36 are playing
- 2 - and while NSW is basically just NRL clubs playing

Only when you create a true second division can you ideas start to become a reality

I woukd like to see a revamped NSW & QLD Cup expand to 14 teams with Darwin joining the Qld Cup

NSW Cup is heading towards second division. With Norths, Newtown, Wests(Campbelltown based) as former FG clubs. With stronger Western Sydney A grade clubs of Wenty and Mounties. Thats 5

I would focus next on NSW Country areas not represented at NRL level Wesrern Division, North Coast, Central Coast, New England, Riverina thats 10

Then we add Perth and Adelaide

Final 2 slots should go to better RMC clubs either Blacktown Cabramatta St Marys or Ryde-Eastwood

I would add Melbourne 2 only when Perth get promoted to NRL level if we go to 18 NRL teams

Then promotion / relegation process I would use. A 4 way round robin series with winner promoted. Winners Qld Cup / NSW Cup / NZ Cup and NRL wooden spooners at wooden spooners home ground

But the issue with promotion relegation is never the team going up but the player contracts of the team going down

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
Well do you think that making it fun is the answer?
Yes. Of course the children should have fun. At their age that is the most important thing - they should enjoy their youth.

However, the second most important thing is they learn that winning, and, defeating your opposition is a good thing - the NRL does not need a bunch of losers with a 'participation is good enough' mentality coming through.

Finally, you should embrace your homosexuality by beginning a 'Hot Man Thread' in conjunction with this thread.

Latest posts