What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decline of quality in the NRL

Pommy

Coach
How many days until the season starts? Trolling is normally of a higher standard during the season.

kbw

Bench
You lost me when you talked about how the NRL takes on board feedback and made it sound like they give a toss.
Unless its going to make money the only thing anything gets from the NRL is lip service

The Rosco

Bench
I’m gay and I’m proud. I also do a hell of a lot for rugby league and the community. I put in a lot of unpaid hours for the game. All I’m asking for is s little respect.
Well, how are we supposed to show you respect for being gay, when we had absolutely no idea that you are gay ?
If you want respect for who you choose to fondle, at least you could have made it clear.
Jeez, even a little hint that you are gay might have worked.
A lot of us volunteer in kids sport. Most of us don't demand/ask anything for doing it.
Edit: Not that there's nothing wrong with that.

Homo man69

Juniors
Well, how are we supposed to show you respect for being gay, when we had absolutely no idea that you are gay ?
If you want respect for who you choose to fondle, at least you could have made it clear.
Jeez, even a little hint that you are gay might have worked.
A lot of us volunteer in kids sport. Most of us don't demand/ask anything for doing it.
Edit: Not that there's nothing wrong with that.
Have you noticed my name?

Homo man69

Juniors
Anyone notice that the Aussie schoolboys just lost the series to England. Yet more proof of the decline.

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
ive coached jnr league for a while now. The NRL are really on to us to make it more fun. Apparently participation is at an all time low. I know that some great players have retired. It just seems like the quality of players will be down this season. It’s like their is not enough haves or hookers to go around. Also look at the origin teams. I’m just worried that if participation is low now. Then in 10 years it’s only going to get worse. Something needs to be done pronto. As nobody seems to worried about it. Players like Smith, Thurston, Inglis, Cronk, Slater, Hayne and Hodges came as juniors during the Tina Turner era. Maybe a big name singer from the states could be the answer. A massive advertising blitz. What else could we do?
You have contradicted yourself by stating "[t]he NRL are really on to us to make it more fun" then stating "nobody seems to be worried about it."

Mr Spock!

Referee
Even in Qld, AFL junior development leaves NRL for dead. In 20 years I've seen nrl development officers about 3 times in primary schools.

Meanwhile the AFL bloke is here every year running 8 week oz kick programs after school in the school grounds. And he does that at a number of schools. And he always has a huge crowd.

The Rosco

Bench
Have you noticed my name?
On the one hand . . . . If I was to make the most miniscule decision based on your name, absolutely no doubt within 4.7 seconds, I'd have some leftie muppet lecturing me about how neanderthal I am because I made a comment based on you being a homo man.
I wonder what sort of hissie fits would be happening if a new poster here called himself "Straight Heterosexual man 181", and had a pic of him with both his hands down his Mrs's top as his avatar. The outrage would be hypocrisy at it's finest.
On the other hand . . . . remind me to turn up my sarcasm levels. Obviously not enough.

Homo man69

Juniors
On the one hand . . . . If I was to make the most miniscule decision based on your name, absolutely no doubt within 4.7 seconds, I'd have some leftie muppet lecturing me about how neanderthal I am because I made a comment based on you being a homo man.
I wonder what sort of hissie fits would be happening if a new poster here called himself "Straight Heterosexual man 181", and had a pic of him with both his hands down his Mrs's top as his avatar. The outrage would be hypocrisy at it's finest.
On the other hand . . . . remind me to turn up my sarcasm levels. Obviously not enough.
Look the problem I had is everyone making fun of me cause of my name. Also the fact that I am gay. Yes it probably was a stupid decision to put that as my name. If you look at the previous posts people slowly but surely started taking jabs at me. Sure it was pretty funny in the beginning but it started getting pretty old and offensive as it went on. I’m really tried to not be that pc dick but I was getting offended. It’s like if started taking jabs at your wife or say your overweight. At the beginning is something to snigger at but as it goes on you start feeling sad and offended. Then when I say something. I have to deal with guys like you. I’m being serious here by the way. This is not a joke to me.

Homo man69

Juniors
Even in Qld, AFL junior development leaves NRL for dead. In 20 years I've seen nrl development officers about 3 times in primary schools.

Meanwhile the AFL bloke is here every year running 8 week oz kick programs after school in the school grounds. And he does that at a number of schools. And he always has a huge crowd.
The AFL is all over us when it comes to grass roots. My old school was really big on rugby league when I played for them. I just found out they don’t even play it anymore. Just AFL and union. That Oz kick program is excellent. We do absolutely nothing in the other states. We really should take a leaf from there book and start trying to make some ground in the other states.

King hit

Coach

Paid advertising and AFL bullshit. AFL is inferior to league in QLD in every way possible. Just some kids whose parents are vic expats means nothing.

The Rosco

Bench
Look the problem I had is everyone making fun of me cause of my name. Also the fact that I am gay. Yes it probably was a stupid decision to put that as my name. If you look at the previous posts people slowly but surely started taking jabs at me. Sure it was pretty funny in the beginning but it started getting pretty old and offensive as it went on. I’m really tried to not be that pc dick but I was getting offended. It’s like if started taking jabs at your wife or say your overweight. At the beginning is something to snigger at but as it goes on you start feeling sad and offended. Then when I say something. I have to deal with guys like you. I’m being serious here by the way. This is not a joke to me.
If I put up a fat picture of me, or a pic of my wife, and had the username " Fat Rosco with the toey wife" I would be an absolute halfwit if I got upset because :
1 . . . folks be callin me fat, or
2 . . . folks be saying stuff about my wife.
If I were you, I'd be deleting this alt and going back to whoever you were before this. Like Wittyfan.
But on a more serious note . . . Yes, the bloody afl has it over us in spades.
They do all the work in schools as has been mentioned. A few years back they gave free afl jerseys sets to the schools. Made up in the school's colours, with the school logo and the afl logo on them. Around $700 worth. Throw in a bunch of water bottles and some afl branded balls and training cones . . . and you are getting close to a grand worth of stuff for free.
Sadly, the NRL doesn't even come close

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Paid advertising and AFL bullshit. AFL is inferior to league in QLD in every way possible. Just some kids whose parents are vic expats means nothing.
Wtf!

Half the kids are league kids.

Heck, even gave out free tickets to afl games....free caps.....

Homo man69

Juniors
Why doesn’t the NRL set up a program similar to oz kick. It’s pretty simple stuff. When I was young( early 90s). The AFL was a joke here in NSW. Everyone called it G@yFL. They had that knob Warwick Capper as there main advertising. They have come so far. I admit the Super League era really hit hard. I so wish Murdoch chose the AFL instead of us. Then we would of gone on the greater things.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Back on topic, I believe the rot started when the league took up Dennis Fitzgerald's proposal to go to a two tier national comp - 1st grade & under 20s and dropped reserve grade to a state level.

I think it was 1st, reserves and U21s (or U23s) at the time.

The last of the players who came out of the old system - Thurston, Cronk, Smith etc are starting to retire & the result is a massive drop in standard.

Previously players who needed time in reserve (open age) grade to mature their skills got it but were still around 1st grade. But under the Fitzgerald plan, under prepared 20 year olds filled in the vacant first grade spots (some looked good in an age comp due to their size & maturity but once they hit an open age comp that disappeared but the NRL & clubs persisted. Players sent back to State Cup were continuosly overlooked and moved on.

So after 10 odd years we have the massive drop in skill levels in the domestic game and, I think Homo man is probably right the Poms will get us. Not due to an improvement in their game but the drop in standard of our game.

footy75

Bench
I dont see what the fuss is about..the comp is so even where anyone can beat anyone on the day you never know what is going to happen... making it great viewing.

Latest posts