What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep North saviour for the Sharks

KHunt

Juniors
Look, there needs to be another Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp. We need RL at that ground every week. A North Brisbane team with ties to Redcliffe and the Sunny Coast would be ideal. Maybe 10 home games at Suncorp and 1 or 2 on the Sunshine Coast.

That's exactly what we need.
I've been calling this for ages. Wont happen while Gallops here though. Even "North Brisbane Bears' is a good idea as a last option if a CC side doesn't arrive because they don't want another NSW team. We need the Bears back.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If you ask me, I think Cairns and Central Quensland are both a no-go, just dots on a map - although the Cowboys should look at playing 1 or 2 games in Cairns each year and Central Queensland has potential further down the track.

The 4th Queensland team needs to be a 2nd team in Brisbane. Why? Well, it's pretty simple - that's where all the people are.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
there will be no permanent team in cairns. Games may be an option for any club.
there will be no central qld team, adelaide team, or perth team.
Unfortunately there will be a central coast team & they will struggle. The Gold coast has a population of nearly 800k & they are starting to struggle already(for the required average attendance they need)
The other team to come in will be the 2nd brisbane team between logan & Ipswich.
The sharks will not relocate unless they get the required 50 million it costs to relocate.

juanfarkall

Coach
there will be no permanent team in cairns. Games may be an option for any club.
there will be no central qld team, adelaide team, or perth team.
Unfortunately there will be a central coast team & they will struggle. The Gold coast has a population of nearly 800k & they are starting to struggle already(for the required average attendance they need)
The other team to come in will be the 2nd brisbane team between logan & Ipswich.
The sharks will not relocate unless they get the required 50 million it costs to relocate.
As long as Michael Searle makes it difficult for kids over 12 to attend games, the Titans will miss out on some ticket sales.
A Logan/Ipswich based team will not be viable for many years.

hgfds

Juniors
qld needs a 4th team ,also northern nsw is the 4th largest tv market in australia and the region is also going to have huge growth over the next 20 years

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
As long as Michael Searle makes it difficult for kids over 12 to attend games, the Titans will miss out on some ticket sales.
A Logan/Ipswich based team will not be viable for many years.

Michel Searle doesnt make it difficult for anyone to attend games. He trys his best to pay 300k per home game to the stadiums owners.

Crowd numbers are not their problem. Corporate sales are.

Wasn't the whole idea of the Nth Qld Cowboys to encompass both Townsville + Cairns? I understand that Barlow Park isn't up to standard (particularly after seeing it on ABC TV), but I could of sworn that the Cowboys were supposed to include the entire northern region of Qld, not everything bar Cairns.

Buckshot

Juniors
Cairns is an AFL town without question from U/10's up . Possibly due to a lot of expat Victorians , possibly due to the best sporting stadium being an AFL setup ( Cazaly's ),possibly due to the blanket AFL coverage in the local rag ,possibly due to the Townsville Vs cairns thing or because the Cowboys don't spend enough time and money up there and the AFL does .

Whilst the region has produced some great League players AFL is the game with the highest profile in Cairns.

imasharkie

Coach
Look, there needs to be another Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp. We need RL at that ground every week. A North Brisbane team with ties to Redcliffe and the Sunny Coast would be ideal. Maybe 10 home games at Suncorp and 1 or 2 on the Sunshine Coast.

This idea would appeal more to Queensland, not Cairns(too close to Townsville) or Rockhampton( to small).
Suncorp would rock every weekend.

otori

Juniors
theres defiantly a fan base in cairns theres no just not a big enough one for a new team up there cowboys do a trial game in cairns but nothing more a guess a home game or 2 in cairns wouldn't hurt but then you've got cowboys season ticket holders to deal with....but wouldnt cost cowboys much to chuck them all on a bus up there

Cairns actually supports basketball the most because they have a team up there. I know people go to Taipans games just because it's something to do. They do support league and mostly they support the Cowboys or the Broncos but it's a pretty big mission to go from Cairns to the ville just for an hour and a half. Once the game's over, you realise that you're stuck in Townsville for the night ;-)

Brutus

Referee
Cairns is an AFL town without question from U/10's up . Possibly due to a lot of expat Victorians , possibly due to the best sporting stadium being an AFL setup ( Cazaly's ),possibly due to the blanket AFL coverage in the local rag ,possibly due to the Townsville Vs cairns thing or because the Cowboys don't spend enough time and money up there and the AFL does .

Whilst the region has produced some great League players AFL is the game with the highest profile in Cairns.

Absolute garbage.

Have a good hard read of the Cairns Post pal.

backdoor

Juniors
Michel Searle doesnt make it difficult for anyone to attend games. He trys his best to pay 300k per home game to the stadiums owners.

Crowd numbers are not their problem. Corporate sales are.

sounds like his business plan is not quite so great....

much the same as the mob in charge of the basket case from the shire.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
sounds like his business plan is not quite so great....

much the same as the mob in charge of the basket case from the shire.

Ahh - but remember, if you've got your mates at the NRL helping you out, wouldn't matter if you don't have a ground, money, name, business plan etc.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Seems everywhere in Australia is except Adelaide!

Erm apart from the mining boom (biggest mines in the world etc).

South Australia will have decent growth. Adelaide itself is building houses arse over tit to the north and south but they are not part of 'Adelaide' but Gawler and Aldinga.

Plenty of growth here.

MacDougall

First Grade
Give us three more South Queensland teams and I might get to see the Tigers more than once a season. :lol:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Any new team in Q'land has to play out of ANZ, its criminal such a good stadium gets used so little. If Brisbane wants or needs another team is a different matter.
QSAC
although i think that some parts of the stadium are a little too far away from the middle

RedVee

First Grade
I think the next expansion will end up as NSW & Qld again, unless the NRL gets lucky and someone agrees to relocate.
As far as QLD, I'd think Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast & Central Queensland would be the peas. Especially if the Govt can be conned - oops - convinced to build a stadium. Not sure about the whole Ipswich or Logan business.
Central Coast NSW should be a dead set cert, but must be the Bears to capitalise on the Sydney North Shore as well. Otherwise I have my doubts on whether the area is big enough to look after league as well as the Mariners. There are suggestions that the Cronull and Sutherland area is not big enough to sustain the Sharks - is the Central Coast that much bigger in population or economy?

Latest posts