What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defector Bateman

Tigerm

Coach
At his age, IMO he won't risk his contract with us, unless he can get a better offer in England, which would be extremely unlikely.
We may have to fork out a bit in updating his salary over there, if we don't really want him, it is probably the best-case scenario I can see.

Nutz

Bench
At his age, IMO he won't risk his contract with us, unless he can get a better offer in England, which would be extremely unlikely.
We may have to fork out a bit in updating his salary over there, if we don't really want him, it is probably the best-case scenario I can see.
The only thing I can find about this is
the NRL won’t allow a player to hold two contracts at the one time. Bateman will have to cancel his Tigers contract, sign a Warrington contract and as soon as he does, he can sign a new Tigers deal from November 1 this year.
If it's a mutual decision to part ways like @Tiger05 and @TheDefinitionOfMadness are saying then I can't see any other ramifications re salary cap.
As it's already been said, we should entertain making it difficult for him to come back, like return straight after his grand final so he can't celebrate and go straight into pre Christmas training ;)

Tiger05

First Grade
If it's a mutual decision to part ways like @Tiger05 and @TheDefinitionOfMadness are saying then I can't see any other ramifications re salary cap.

Just to be clear I don't believe that his contract is now null and void. They would have announced that. I think they want his contract off the books and they are doing everything to get him off the books but unless he gets another contract and he is happy to move on without compensation I reckon we'll be paying him to play for us until his contract is over.

I don't see any ramifications if Bateman willingly leaves or we sack him but that is a long way off happening just now.

Nutz

Bench
Just to be clear I don't believe that his contract is now null and void. They would have announced that. I think they want his contract off the books and they are doing everything to get him off the books but unless he gets another contract and he is happy to move on without compensation I reckon we'll be paying him to play for us until his contract is over.

I don't see any ramifications if Bateman willingly leaves or we sack him but that is a long way off happening just now.
Yeh it's a weird one but as I said the NRL won't allow 2 contracts. The new Warrington contract is it but it would contain clauses, like return to us, medical insurances etc. Our CEO said in the latest BTR that the delay in announcing Bateman's departure aired on Friday was because all parties had signed off on medical stuff.
The reason we didn't just let him go for good was because Warrington hadn't made their mind up with a more permanent contract.
It all boils down to 1 thing.... Bateman has to excel and help them win a GF. That will boost up his value to them.

Nutz

Bench
Congrats, 10k posts mate.
Since I've been on the forum you've been posting both quality and quantity.
I alway enjoy waking up to read Tm's early morning WT news. ( Sometimes at 4am ;) )

Latest posts