What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defunct teams of Gold Coast RL

The Partisan

Reading the local sports section of the GC Bulletin last weekend when the thought of a past team from Surfers Paradise lead to a discusion of what LOCAL teams have left the scene on the Coast. I am sure their was a Surfers Paradise team, any others ???

The Partisan said:
Any idea when they folded. Other teams that had same fate ?

Surfers last year in the GC Group 18 was 1990.

This relevant passage from the Parkwood Sharks history tells a little more:

"In 1980 Brothers JRLFC sent the Under 14's team to compete in the NSWCRL Group 18 competition, and in 1982 an amalgamation with the Surfers Paradise Pirates saw us become known as the Brothers Sharks JRLFC and the Pirates jumpers of black white and blue was adopted. It wasn't until 1992 that the club became known as Parkwood Brothers Sharks JRLFC, and now resides at the scenic Parklands where the current clubhouse was extended from the original premises in 1996."

Might I also add that Parkwood joined the GC Group 18 the year after Surfers's final year.

akdrob

Juniors
I played with Nerang and Burleigh seniors in the early/mid 80's. The Gold Coast had it's own comp then with sides from Nerang, Burleigh, Southport, Beenleigh, Beaudesert, Tugun, Surfers Paradise and Runnaway Bay.

Latest posts