What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeGois Offside

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There were a number of turning points but the penalty certainly goal sticks out.

For mine, the match was gone when a player knocked on on the first tackle within easy range of the posts. Less than 10 minutes to and there was no doubt in my mind that Soward was going to pot a one-pointer. It would have put us up by seven and given a much needed lift.

Running into the wind, there wasn't going to be another chance like that.

j0nesy

Bench
I think it was Chase Stanley wasn't it? Up until that point he had played a very good game, we certainly won't lose anthing in defence with him in the centres next season.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes it was Chase Stanley. And yes, he had an otherwise good game. The Sharks were pointing much of their attack towards Stanley's side, presumably because he has had suspect defence in past matches. But he seems to worked on it and he and Soward were very solid out wide.

Video refs are f**kin hopeless. Just piss em off.

They never get it right, so whats the point?

Just a waste of time. If they are going to make a mistake, it may as well be the bloke standing there making a mistake on the spot.

Not some spastic upstairs who gets it wrong more often than not anyway.

BWNB

First Grade
Calls went both ways, while i agree that the Gallen strip was just a knock on i also think the Dragons should have had 12 men for a period just before half time.

j0nesy

Bench
Calls went both ways, while i agree that the Gallen strip was just a knock on i also think the Dragons should have had 12 men for a period just before half time.

For the most part the poor calls evened themselves out, however the call against Setu for a late hit on Kimmorley was an absolute joke, gifted you guys 2 points and put you within a converted try. That was pisspoor.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Calls almost always go both ways. But I don't recall any ref calls gifting Saints with two points.

Penalties 8-2 in favour of the Sharks, we had a 2 man bench... yes, we got the rub of the green and should have been playing with 12 men. lol

There was a rash of refs sin binning years ago for professional fouls, but its not nearly as common nowadays.

I think this whole protect the kicker thing is in shambles. It seems to depend which Ref you get to how its interpreted. But then again based on that one being called the knock on Bird should have been a penalty as well. I am not saying it was just based upon the refs interpretation. Look at last week I think it was in a game involving Parra. The opposition hardly hitting the kicker at all and that ref penalised time after time. Inconsistency in interpreting the rule is a major problem in the game IMO

j0nesy

Bench
There was a rash of refs sin binning years ago for professional fouls, but its not nearly as common nowadays.

The Melbourne v Dragons game was a bit of an exception with 4 sent to the bin, we all saw what happened to Mr Badger after that match. We really are the trend setters of the competition for these types of decisions/"crack downs", here's my top 5:

1. Bill Harrigan - Offside off the kickoff.
2. Russell Smith - 4 Sheppard calls against us in his first NRL match.
3. Jason Ryles - The first man sidelined for a grapple tackle
4. Bill Harrigan / Reece Symonds ( I think) - The first man penalised for surrendering.
5. Craig Smith - Suspened for a long time for lifting the knee

We should be proud to be the NRLs lab rats.

Inferno

Coach
I think the problem with the penalties for late hits on kickers is the slow motion replays, of course if you watch it with a slow mo it's going to look a lot later than it was.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Melbourne v Dragons game was a bit of an exception with 4 sent to the bin, we all saw what happened to Mr Badger after that match.
Three binnings and a send off. They were binned for fighting, not slowing down the play. And yes, Badger is still directing traffic in the carpark.

The refs used to send off players for head high tackles and lifting tackles too. We saw one of those last night with Nightingale being speared - far more serious than a holding a player down. But a send off would have been ridiculous. Penalty warranted, keep it at 13v13... and anything else is for the MRC to decide.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think the problem with the penalties for late hits on kickers is the slow motion replays, of course if you watch it with a slow mo it's going to look a lot later than it was.
But even in slomo we could see that Setu was trying to pull up. You'd think the refs would understand the basics when it comes to momentum.

If it wasn't late or high... play on and let the players decide the match.

_Johnsy

Referee
The bottom line is, we were not good enough in the last 15 minutes, when we should have been. Gutsy effort without Ryles/Gaz/Creagh, and loosing Moz and Poore. I saw enough last night to know we will finish 08 well.

j0nesy

Bench
These "late hits" on the kicker usually look worse (later) on the slo-mo replay, but Setu's hit didn't look late or dangerous to me, even on the slow motion replay. You could clearly see Setu pull up in an attempt to minimise any collision with Kimmorley, if Setu had gone through with the hit he would have knocked Kimmorley in to next year. Bloody frustrating to be honest. At any rate I am very confident we can knock Cronulla off in the finals, if given the chance.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The bottom line is, we were not good enough in the last 15 minutes, when we should have been. Gutsy effort without Ryles/Gaz/Creagh, and loosing Moz and Poore. I saw enough last night to know we will finish 08 well.
No doubt about it. I've always maintained that good teams beat bad refs. Saints did well considering the injuries and battling for field position all night.

But in the end, the game was there for the taking, and the Sharks didn't need to be asked twice.

Latest posts