What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deliberate penalty to force a captains challenge on previous play

Deliberate penalty to force a captains challenge on previous play

• Like it

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Hate it

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

JokerEel

Coach
Didn't the NRL come out last Monday and say that they can only challenge the refs call on what stopped the play??

t-ba

Post Whore
It's not new, I've seen Melbourne and a few other just do it just more subtly.

Frankly I think the risk/reward of getting sinbinned for a professional foul if the challenge is unsuccessful is a decent trade-off.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
As an Eel it was frustrating but yeh credit to the Titans if the team is that positive the call is wrong fair enough. They are taking the risk having someone binned if they get it wrong.

I was more frustrated at Herbert’s dive tbh

Chimp

Bench

Well apparently in tonight's game it should not have been allowed..
Absolutely - Annesley nailed it earlier in the week, unfortunately the ref in this game obviously didn’t read the memo…. The ref should have advised they could only challenge the holding down ruling, whilst also sin-binning Herbert for the professional foul.

Knight76

Juniors
Titans didn't come up with this at all. The first player to do this as far as I know was Munster and as I recall the commentators saying how smart a play it was.

Anyway, I don't know if I like it or hate it. I can see both sides but I guess if they win the challenge then all good, but if not sin bin for a professional foul seems appropriate.

As long as teams know where they stand on it, and what they risk when doing that play then all good.

I think they should just sin-bin the player anyway, even if the challenge is successful. It’s not like if the player knocked on you could go and clock him; why should it be any different for a deliberate foul?

no name

Coach
Lol at new tactic.
This was done successfully by a few teams last year, as someone mentioned Munster has done it a couple of times.
I don’t love it, but some of the things that the refs miss are so obvious to everyone except them so it forces team’s hand.
I don’t think the NRL will do anything about it because it gives referees another ‘out’ for making mistakes, like when they go to the bunker when it’s clearly not a try but they want to see what the restart should be.

Canard

Immortal
Typical League fans, media and NRL, no- one gives a f**k until it happens to one of the big Sydney Clubs.

f**king Gutho did the same thing last year against the Cowboys and no- one said boo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We changed the fabric of the game to make it faster then brought in the opportunity for players to stop the game for 3 minutes! Capts challenge sucks and should be binned.

soc123_au

Staff member
We changed the fabric of the game to make it faster then brought in the opportunity for players to stop the game for 3 minutes! Capts challenge sucks and should be binned.
Captains challenge is fine. They just need to stick to the rules surrounding it's use. The only change is that the box should only consider what is being challenged. If someone gets their head taken off in backplay, bad luck, the mrc can deal with that later.

seanoff

Juniors
Nope. You challenge on the spot or not at all.

they don’t think about this enough. When you make up a new rule. Ask everyone you can to break it.

Latest posts