What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeMerge Magpies and Tigers

alien

Referee
Oh well, Souths are taking over the area:cool:

haha, souths would be close to having the most members in the area, but i meant the region should have a team playing all of it's home games there (at campbelltown stadium or at a new liverpool stadium)

flippikat

First Grade
haha, souths would be close to having the most members in the area, but i meant the region should have a team playing all of it's home games there (at campbelltown stadium or at a new liverpool stadium)

But that's not part of the current Sydney stadium strategy.

Plus, if we accept the argument that the Tigers "have already done their part for rationalizing Sydney" by forming the joint venture (so we can't relocate them outside Sydney), then what club(s) should be under the microscope instead?

flippikat

First Grade
Who would get the 'Tigers' name?

I honestly don't think a de-merge is going to happen. It doesn't de-congest Sydney, the Balmain side is broke, and a rebrand to Magpies would mean having to re-establish a new/old brand when so much time money and effort has been put into the Wests Tigers identity over 15 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the costs associated with running an NRL club these days it would be hard to see any teams surviving in small regional cities. Cronulla upped their revenue again this year but still lost over $1.5million.

Unless the NRL puts a cap on off field spending so all clubs operate on roughly the same budgets that can be covered by a reasonable revenue amount then it is hard to see places like Gosford or Wollongong being able to sustain a club.

Rabbits20

Immortal

I disagree.

I want Souths to grow further in that area just like you should as well.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I honestly don't think a de-merge is going to happen. It doesn't de-congest Sydney, the Balmain side is broke, and a rebrand to Magpies would mean having to re-establish a new/old brand when so much time money and effort has been put into the Wests Tigers identity over 15 years.

That's right.

It won't happen.

flippikat

First Grade
With the costs associated with running an NRL club these days it would be hard to see any teams surviving in small regional cities. Cronulla upped their revenue again this year but still lost over $1.5million.

Unless the NRL puts a cap on off field spending so all clubs operate on roughly the same budgets that can be covered by a reasonable revenue amount then it is hard to see places like Gosford or Wollongong being able to sustain a club.

So, does that mean for a proportion of Sydney clubs it means merge, move interstate or go bust? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a regional centre as home to an NRL club - Illawarra managed it for nearly 20 years (admittedly in a different footy landscape), and the Bears figured they had a business case for Gosford. It might take some creative solutions in terms of costs and revenue sharing, but it at least should be explored. Especially if it means keeping a slice of the game's heritage in NSW.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
Plus, if we accept the argument that the Tigers "have already done their part for rationalizing Sydney" by forming the joint venture (so we can't relocate them outside Sydney), then what club(s) should be under the microscope instead?

i don't accept that argument. forming a joint venture doesn't guarantee survival for good, especially if they are financially f**ked

alien

Referee
I want Souths to grow further in that area just like you should as well.

i do want that. there are heaps of rabbitohs supporters in the liverpool-campbelltown area. it would be awesome if the rabbitohs played some home games at campbelltown, but i am not sure that would happen. i did read that they may play a trial game there. only 4 nrl games are being played there per year, so noone can say the area really belongs to anyone. the area will be even more open if wests tigers decide to play all their home games at anz stadium, which i hear might be happening..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane/Sth Queensland tigers, Wests Australia magpies, nz2, Gold Coast bears
Let the remaining western Sydney clubs and Souths cover the Wests/Tigers region.
That would go a long way to creating a better spread 18 club NRL with old brand strength and opportunities for new clubs to generate memberships in their primary market AND secondary Sydney market as well as starting to deal with over servicing of the Sydney market.

alien

Referee
Brisbane/Sth Queensland tigers, Wests Australia magpies, nz2, Gold Coast bears
Let the remaining western Sydney clubs and Souths cover the Wests/Tigers region.
That would go a long way to creating a better spread 18 club NRL with old brand strength and opportunities for new clubs to generate memberships in their primary market AND secondary Sydney market as well as starting to deal with over servicing of the Sydney market.

that's not bad, but "wests australia magpies" just doesn't sound right. "western magpies" sounds better

Perth Red

Post Whore
that's not bad, but "wests australia magpies" just doesn't sound right. "western magpies" sounds better

They'd end up being called WA magpies but the Wests fans in Sydney could still call them Wests, Perth would call them wa magpies. Everyone's happy! It actually is a good model that would take some of the financial and Jnr strength risk out of a Perth team if Wests were involved. We could have a black and gold home jersey for WA colours and a white and black away kit for Wests. Sell a home membership and a Sydney membership for Wests fans and convince some Sydney teams to play their home game against them at Campbelltown.

All just a pipe dream though as NRL has no balls for such a radical vision and Greenberg is no visionary!

alien

Referee
They'd end up being called WA magpies but the Wests fans in Sydney could still call them Wests, Perth would call them wa magpies. Everyone's happy! It actually is a good model that would take some of the financial and Jnr strength risk out of a Perth team if Wests were involved. We could have a black and gold home jersey for WA colours and a white and black away kit for Wests. Sell a home membership and a Sydney membership for Wests fans and convince some Sydney teams to play their home game against them at Campbelltown.

All just a pipe dream though as NRL has no balls for such a radical vision and Greenberg is no visionary!

the part in bold is the only part i don't agree with. if the magpies get away from the joint venture abomination with balmain, the last thing they'd want to do is put gold or orange on their jersey! :lol:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think i have figured out who PR actually is...

johnribot_gallery__470x310.jpg

#Vision

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
And the Magpie moving to Adelaide makes SOOOOOOO much more sense...

Southaus.jpg

And the Tigers (the Black and Gold team) in perth...

100px-State_Badge_of_Western_Australia.svg.png

Last edited: