What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth signings you would like to see

Broncos fan!

Juniors
First of all I would like to say I don't have the best knowledge of QLD cup/NYC players as I only get to see he games that get televised.
Since we have made no signings for next year yet and we SHOULD have a fair bit of $$ up our sleeve here are some players I would like the sign for next year. Most of these signings most likely make the 17 at the start of next year but they provide good depth.
I am basing this on if we lose these off contract players Hunt, Taylor, Gorrell, Marsh, Ah Mau, Setu(will give him the rest of the year before I decide to let him go or sign for 1 year).

Scott Smith and Kurt Baptise
I would sign these two hookers to replace Gorrell and Marsh who are passed it and offer us nothing now or in the future.
Scott Smith is the best hooker going arround in the QLD cup and would come cheap as he has no NRL experience. He has been killing it this year as captain for Burleigh and is a great kicker from dummy half too which is what we lack.
There are big raps on Baptise and he could be a future hooker for us as he is still very young.
Even though we have young McCullough who seems to be beginning to settle into our 80 min hooker these two players would be fine replacements and a heck of a lot better than Marsh and Gorrell.

Nat Bowman
Has been playing great in the halves consistently for the last 2 seasons and deserves his chance.

David Hala and Dunamuis Lui
Hala has been our best forward in the U20s this year and is up there as one of the best props in the NYC this year. Is big and busts tackles with ease and has been rewarded with getting called up to train with the first grade squad about a month ago and Henjak says he has confidence that he can make the step up next year.
Dunamuis Lui has been good this year too and is a hard worker and Henjak also thinks he can make the step up next year.

Matt Gillett
Started the year at five eight for the commets but has moved to lock now and is going great as a ball running/playing lock. I really like how he plays plus he has some utility value being able to play five eight and lock which is handy. I read that he has attracted a bit of attention from the broncos but I'm not sure what the latest is.

Ben Vaeau
Big strong prop who has been playing well and already has NRL experience.

And here are some more that can come into consideration:
Kaine Manihera
Was with the club last year and played about 10 games.
Has been going great and is one of the best winger in the QLD cup. Unfortunately he has a bit of an attitude problem i heard and thats what is stopping him from getting signed. I rate this guy but although he isn't a super fast winger he is a strong, elusive player with good footwork and is a decent leaper. Not a good choice if it's a speedster winger that you are after.

Luke Dalziel Don
Great wide running back rower. Haven't seen much of him but the few games I have seen he has been fantastic. Does anyone know more about him?

Mark Leafa
Strong scary prop.

Matt Handcock
Played for our U20s team last year and is a hard working forward who can play anywhere in the forwards.

Ryan Hansen
Good back rower and can kick goals.

The good thing about all of those players is that they would be cheap as chips.

I rate Aaron Sweeney who we already have contracted and I think he should have already debuted this year. He plays with plenty of aggression and balls and hopefully he gets a shot against the titans this week as he is 18th man and there are injuries in the team.

I rate Palmer Wapau as a QLD Cup player but to be effective in the first grade team he needs to be used as a wide running back rower not a prop. I don't think he should be picked for first grade again any time soon though.

I rated Michaels Spence really highly last year in the U20s. Unfortunately he has been struck down by injury all year. Hopefully he can come back from injury soon and and return to how he was playing in the u20s last year.

What are your thoughts on this and is there anyone else you would like to add?

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
While I'd love to get into more depth with my post sadly I'm starting to crash after two hours of sleep...

In saying...

Kurt Baptiste, David Hala, Dunamuis Lui, Nat Bowman and Ryan Hansen are all affiliated with the Broncos.

Word has it attitude problems are keeping Mainhera and Gillett from first grade (as you made mention).

Broncos fan!

Juniors
While I'd love to get into more depth with my post sadly I'm starting to crash after two hours of sleep...

In saying...

Kurt Baptiste, David Hala, Dunamuis Lui, Nat Bowman and Ryan Hansen are all affiliated with the Broncos.

Word has it attitude problems are keeping Mainhera and Gillett from first grade (as you made mention).

Yea I realise that but I meant have them in our 25 man squad. I spose it doesn't really matter..

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Manihera was tried and failed. Unless he has miraculously picked up some speed, and ability to contest a bomb, I can't see him shining in first grade. Honestly he was that slow on the wing last year opposition props looked quicker. Granted I haven't seen any of his form this year, but he was just woeful last season.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I like your list of players BF. I would probably forget about Manihera (too slow) and Ben Vaeau (not good enough for NRL in my view). I think we really need a fast winger, Folau is one wing and speed is his biggest weakness and Winterstein is quicker but not lightning. Unfortunately we had one in Kemp but lost him :(. Kevin Locke would be good. I wasn't all that impressed with Matt Handcock the couple of times I've seen him play (only a couple of times though).

First and foremost we need to a good PROP!!! Matt Scott anyone? He was great in the origin imo.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I like your list of players BF. I would probably forget about Manihera (too slow) and Ben Vaeau (not good enough for NRL in my view). I think we really need a fast winger, Folau is one wing and speed is his biggest weakness and Winterstein is quicker but not lightning. Unfortunately we had one in Kemp but lost him :(. Kevin Locke would be good. I wasn't all that impressed with Matt Handcock the couple of times I've seen him play (only a couple of times though).

First and foremost we need to a good PROP!!! Matt Scott anyone? He was great in the origin imo.

Yea Manihera is slow. If it's a quick winger you are after don't get him IMO. But if you have 1 quick winger on one side then you can afford to have someone like Manihera on the other. Too bad we don't really have a speedster winger atm.

Matt Scott is almost re-signed with the cowboys but we should throw everything we can at him.

I would of re-signed Isaak Ah Mau for another year and would of signed Leeson Ah Mau but the cowboys are smarter. I really wanted to get Leeson.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Big Pete I was wondering could you tell me what other players playing in the QLD cup that you know of are affiliated with the broncos please?

DeeJ

Bench
We should definitely try and get Kemp back. When he signed for the Warriors he said he considered it to be a 'loan' and would like to come back to Brisbane at the end. He can't be too happy now playing NSW Cup so the Warriors would release him if we showed some interest.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I agree DeeJ. If Warriors agree to let Kemp go then I would love to sign him. Release Michaels if we need to.
Someone that I would like to sign is Dan Hunt. The front rowers that we have to choose from aren't too flashy and I think Hunt would be a good buy. Averages around 66mins a game with 110m and 35 tackles for the dragons this year.

Big Pete

Referee
These were the players listed at the start of 2009:

East Tigers
Issak Ah Mau

Norths
Ryan Hansen
Brendon Gibb

Central
Nat Bowman
Guy Williams
Tom Hewitt

Burleigh
Aaron Sweeney

Redcliffe
Tim Yee
Josh Hoffman
Michael Spence
Palmer Wapau
Mitch Rivett

Wynumn
David Georgiou

Tim Yee and Georgiou cut their affiliation with the club (or we cut them either way) and I'm unsure about others. I wish Bruno or somebody would come out and announce who we're affiliated with.

Oh I forgot, Karl Johnson has some form of affiliation with us.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
While we're on the subject of QLD Cup players, one really impresses me.

Trent Hodkinson from Sunny Coast, I think he's signed with Manly, but he's worth a look at I think. He carries Sunny Coast, does pretty much all playmaking and kicking.

Could probably play five eight and so could Wallace so with Lockyer on the way out soonish he'd be a good replacement.

tezzah1

Juniors
Really like the look of Josh Hoffman in fullback to replace Hunt. Biggest concern is the forward pack more than the outside backs. Had lacked serious grunt in 09 hence bringing back Tunza. Setu & Benny need to step up! Enforcers or powder puffs? -thought they would bring better value to the fore... Speed can be found in the 20s grades IMO -not too sure how quick Q Cup players really are but outside of QLD there is an abundance of speed in the NYC. Plus Yow Yeh's time is coming fast... hope the boy can live up to expectation.

Latest posts