What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des hasler

Crush

Coach
OMG W.T.F have a look at his C.V
True, his c.v would suggest he gets the best out of his players. It was just a hypothetical. I would prefer to get des on the back of a really strong year from the dogs than to get him coming off the back of a poor season.

St Georgio

Juniors
True, his c.v would suggest he gets the best out of his players. It was just a hypothetical. I would prefer to get des on the back of a really strong year from the dogs than to get him coming off the back of a poor season.
A poor season from Des will not reflect his ability to being a top 3 coach in the nrl, it is the dogs main office which is causing issues for him.
I don't give a crap about the dogs but I must say that bullfrog would be turning in his grave!

Gareth67

First Grade
Or he could have just signed on for a very, very large amount of money knowing he was set up for life after footy.

Agree , however , as idiotic as our board may be , I really don't believe that they would pay such a outrageous amount of money for Hunt , without already having secure the services of a decent coach , whoever that may be .

Their decisions of the last few years , have made our footy-lives a misery and the team into just an ' also ran ' of the competition . Surely they must now realise that without a top-line coach , that Hunt's $6 mill. would be wasted . If they do not , then I believe that it is time for someone to place a bluudy big bomb , under the boardroom table .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Agree , however , as idiotic as our board may be , I really don't believe that they would pay such a outrageous amount of money for Hunts , without already having secure the services of a decent coach , whoever that may be .

Their decisions of the last few years , have made our footy-lives a misery and the team into just an ' also ran ' of the competition . Surely they must now realise that without a top-line coach , that the Hunts $6 mill. would be wasted . If they do not , then I believe that it is time that someone places a bluudy big bomb under the boardroom table .
With salary cap rises over the next few years, the $1m p/a for top halfback will become the norm rather then the exception.

I'm sure the Board now realise their past mistakes and are trying to rectify matters by hiring a top-line coach and a marquee player using TPAs.

If the Club has already secured a top-line coach, the only option if Mary fails early would be to appoint a head coach for the remainder of 2017. Most probably Hornby, Young or both - seem to be joined at the hip. So goodbye 2017 and possibly goodbye early to some unwanted players.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Or he could have just signed on for a very, very large amount of money knowing he was set up for life after footy.

I also believe this as well.
I don't believe we have "signed" a new coach for 2018 at this stage. Maybe some preliminary discussions have taken place and maybe sone expressions of interest thrown out there, but at this stage, as I said, I doubt anyone has committed to us.
The way the Dragons work is simple, they will allow McGregor to see out his contract and nothing will change, just to justify their decision and hope we pull off a miracle season.
Just like the decision not to sack McGregor at the end of 2016 they will attempt to justify this this year. Remember the comment "We think/feel/are confident (can't remember which one) McGregor has a bright future as an NRL coach".
I hope I'm wrong with all of this.

possm

Coach
I also believe this as well.
I don't believe we have "signed" a new coach for 2018 at this stage. Maybe some preliminary discussions have taken place and maybe sone expressions of interest thrown out there, but at this stage, as I said, I doubt anyone has committed to us.
The way the Dragons work is simple, they will allow McGregor to see out his contract and nothing will change, just to justify their decision and hope we pull off a miracle season.
Just like the decision not to sack McGregor at the end of 2016 they will attempt to justify this this year. Remember the comment "We think/feel/are confident (can't remember which one) McGregor has a bright future as an NRL coach".
I hope I'm wrong with all of this.
You could very well be right however, we won't be certain until the season unfolds, events take place and announcements are made.

In the meantime, consider the following;

Up until late last season the person advising the Board was Doust.
Recently Mark Coyne has been front and centre with advice to the Board.
With two young halves available in Field and Mann, why would the Board make such a big play for Hunt. It has to be a change in tact and most probably on advice from Coyne.
From the Club's point of view, it all only makes sense if a Coach has been secured.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
You could very well be right however, we won't be certain until the season unfolds, events take place and announcements are made.

In the meantime, consider the following;

Up until late last season the person advising the Board was Doust.
Recently Mark Coyne has been front and centre with advice to the Board.
With two young halves available in Field and Mann, why would the Board make such a big play for Hunt. It has to be a change in tact and most probably on advice from Coyne.
From the Club's point of view, it all only makes sense if a Coach has been secured.
surely a top notch coach is coming in 2018, hunt wouldn't leave bennett for McGregor. all makes sense now.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The belief that Hunt signed with us because Doust told him such and such would be coaching next year is so far fetched it's ridiculous.

He signed because we offered him a 5 year multi-million dollar deal that blew every other offer out of the park, simple as that.

possm

Coach
The belief that Hunt signed with us because Doust told him such and such would be coaching next year is so far fetched it's ridiculous.

He signed because we offered him a 5 year multi-million dollar deal that blew every other offer out of the park, simple as that.
You sound very convincing. Do know this for a fact?

St Georgio

Juniors

Agree , however , as idiotic as our board may be , I really don't believe that they would pay such a outrageous amount of money for Hunts , without already having secure the services of a decent coach , whoever that may be .

Their decisions of the last few years , have made our footy-lives a misery and the team into just an ' also ran ' of the competition . Surely they must now realise that without a top-line coach , that the Hunts $6 mill. would be wasted . If they do not , then I believe that it is time that someone places a bluudy big bomb under the boardroom table.

ALSGI

Bench

Their decisions of the last few years , have made our footy-lives a misery and the team into just an ' also ran ' of the competition . Surely they must now realise that without a top-line coach , that the Hunts $6 mill. would be wasted . If they do not , then I believe that it is time that someone places a bluudy big bomb under the boardroom table.
Mate you're gonna have spooks looking at you after that comment about the table.
Where's the table and what day and time please!

Red V for life

Juniors
Hunt is going to be under immense pressure to deliver. He is our first genuine halfback on a mega dollar contract with a Club whose supporters demand success and are over the farce post 2010. If he doesn't earn his money on the park, he'll earn it off the park as he can expect to cop it by the bucketloads (and then some).

I think (and hope) he's at least been told who won't be coaching next year (i.e. Mary).

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate you're gonna have spooks looking at you after that comment about the table.
Where's the table and what day and time please!

Purely a figure of speech , I can assure you ALSGI and also any ' spooks ' who may have read the comment . After all , what would a broken down 70 odd year old hog farmer know about blowing up boardroom tables ? Gum trees yes , boardroom tables , no .

BennyV

Referee
Anyone thinking that the board have plans for a coach or have one in place already for 2018 is kidding themselves.

It's just as likely that they are planning on giving McGregor an extension so he'll 'finally have the cattle' or some shit like that, and will wait until they've got anything higher than a 40% success rate to action this.

ALSGI

Bench
Purely a figure of speech , I can assure you ALSGI and also any ' spooks ' who may have read the comment . After all , what would a broken down 70 odd year old hog farmer know about blowing up boardroom tables ? Gum trees yes , boardroom tables , no .
lol mate, got your point and I think we all agree about the board

Highland Saint

Juniors

At the 1215 siege of Rochester Castle, King John ordered that fat from 40 pigs be used to set fire to the mines beneath the keep, which caused it to collapse, a cheap and effective technique in place of the more complicated mixture of sulfur, tallow, gum, pitch and quicksilver he had used in France the previous year.

I'm on to you Gareth...

ALSGI

Bench
At the 1215 siege of Rochester Castle, King John ordered that fat from 40 pigs be used to set fire to the mines beneath the keep, which caused it to collapse, a cheap and effective technique in place of the more complicated mixture of sulfur, tallow, gum, pitch and quicksilver he had used in France the previous year.

I'm on to you Gareth...
Harry Bath would have suspected this and sent Mark Shulman in on Henry Tatana's back in the 13th Century.

Latest posts