What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desperate for Naiqama?

butter81

Juniors
THE tug of war between Newcastle and St George Illawarra over the future of Wes Naiqama has intensified with the Dragons upping the ante in a bid to secure his signature

Miffed at losing coach Wayne Bennett, fullback Darius Boyd and most likely rising star Alex McKinnon to the Knights, the Dragons are looking to make a retaliatory strike with Naiqama their chief target
The Fijian captain has been in outstanding form and with Bennett rubber-stamping a new deal, it was thought he would remain in Newcastle.
But St George Illawarra have other ideas. They have virtually guaranteed Naiqama a first grade position at fullback as a straight fullback replacement for Boyd.

And yesterday they added a further carrot, an extra year on top of the two-year deal already on the table.

"The ball is now back in the Knights' court," Naiqama's manager Darryl Mather said.

"Up until today, Wes was weighing up two-year deals from both clubs. But the Dragons have come back with a three-year deal which has complicated things."

It's understood Cronulla and the Sydney Roosters also tabled two-year deals but it has come down to a shootout between the Knights and Naiqama's former club.

Mather believes Naiqama's first preference is to stay at the Knights. "On balance, I'd say that is probably true," he said. "He is settled up in Newcastle and is happy there which is reflected in the footy he has been playing. "But it's not an easy decision for Wes. He has close friends at the Dragons and he is close to (incoming coach) Steve Price. "It's a tricky one for him."

It's understood the Knights revised their offer as late as Wednesday to all but match the money on the table from the Dragons in a bid to get the deal done.

But showing their desperation to entice him back to Kogarah, the Dragons immediately added a third year to the equation.

"I've left it with the Knights to come back to us," Mather said.
Knights officials were last night attempting to contact Bennett to see if they will match the Dragons latest offer.

This is an article from the telegraph. I know i should take it with a grain of salt, but how credible do you think some of the comments are? and... Is he really that important to us? I was looking forward to style at fullback. can't imagine, we're that desperate for WES...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...tles-wes-naiqama/story-e6frfgbo-1226080887309

Last edited by a moderator:

smi962

First Grade
"But showing their desperation to entice him back to Kogarah, the Dragons immediately added a third year to the equation."

That's from the article. My opinion is that they are pretty keen even if desperate might be a bit of an exaggeration in the article

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Those are the words of the author of the article. There's nothing there to say the club is 'desperate'. It's just an embellishment.

The only quotes are from Naiqama's manager, and managers will say anything to encourage a dutch auction.

For all intents and purposes, the Knights are also 'desperate' to sign Wes.

smi962

First Grade
Those are the words of the author of the article. There's nothing there to say the club is 'desperate'. It's just an embellishment.

The only quotes are from Naiqama's manager, and managers will say anything to encourage a dutch auction.

For all intents and purposes, the Knights are also 'desperate' to sign Wes.

I mentioned that in the second paragraph that the author maybe did exaggerate by saying 'desperate', but I still believe we are quite keen and I can't really see the reason why.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm saying the article is a beat up, and generated by the player manager.

Minh

First Grade
I think Naiqama is an ok plan b if the likes of Stanley can't cut it as a fullback, I suppose Naiqama adds good utility value can play 1 to 5, there are always injuries propping up, I reckon he's a better player than Tagive as well, although Tagive may still prove me wrong.

TheRev

First Grade
We will be pretty thin in the ranks when Boyd is gone, he has been pretty much uninjured, Stanley does cop injuries so were going to need someone to cover him.

I would have rathered try someone new than Wes, but it will give us some depth I guess.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I heart Wes, but signing him would make no sense to me.

Stanley to stay on the bench, & King to rot in reggies? I doubt so.

Naiqama on the bench? Why would he do that when he can be in the starting Knights side? Again, doesn't make sense.

Any player who's agent will play this sort of game clearly has no desire to play for any one club. Signing him on a 3 year deal which would see him to 31 years old would give us an old, overpaid outside back with no incentive to play well...stuff that, it's styles turn

Cagey Mac

Bench
Agree in part DD but the Stanley's are a wee bit injury prone and Style even with Jeremy Hickmans heading up rehab and strength training

Mr Red

First Grade
in the words of Phil Gould.... "no no no no no" !!!!
the moment Bennett walks out the door we seem to be slipping back into the years of ridiculous recruitment..
1. we already have Tagive, Peter Cronin and Bronx Goodwin as a backup utility backs
2. we already signed chase "turnstyle" stanley as the other utility back (heavens knows why?)

why on earth do we need another utility back that has proven over many years to not be good enough to hold down a regular first grade spot?? wouldnt it make more sense to bring up an under 20's player that could be a future first grade star as another utility back if needed?

in the modern game it has been proven that in order to be a successful team your fullback in attack must play as a second five-eighth, Wes at fullback cannot fill this requirement, Kyle Stanley can.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
^^^ I agree Mr Red ^^^

I don't know why we brought Chase back. The best thing he ever did was
sign for the Storm.

As for Naigama, what's the point.

I would have thought Cuthbo was a priority

billy2

Juniors
Catalans have offered Wes a 3 year deal as well.
If Wes has any sense he'll try to do a George Carmont and run around for years in the ESL without knocking himself around too much. He might even get another couple of years after he turns 31 at the end of this deal.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
in the words of Phil Gould.... "no no no no no" !!!!
the moment Bennett walks out the door we seem to be slipping back into the years of ridiculous recruitment..
1. we already have Tagive, Peter Cronin and Bronx Goodwin as a backup utility backs
2. we already signed chase "turnstyle" stanley as the other utility back (heavens knows why?)

why on earth do we need another utility back that has proven over many years to not be good enough to hold down a regular first grade spot?? wouldnt it make more sense to bring up an under 20's player that could be a future first grade star as another utility back if needed?

in the modern game it has been proven that in order to be a successful team your fullback in attack must play as a second five-eighth, Wes at fullback cannot fill this requirement, Kyle Stanley can.

Exactly!

possm

Coach
The Dragons don't need Naiqama. Stanley should be given first crack at fullback. Use the money to retain our young forwards.

j0nesy

Bench
This article is a massive exaggeration IMO. Surely Stanley and Nightingale would be ahead of Wes for the fullback role? I just cant see Wes getting a start ahead of any of our starting outside backs.