What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dick Thornett passed away this morning

El Diablo

Post Whore
dean-ritchie_normal.jpeg

BulldogRitchie Dean Ritchie

Another sad loss for rugby league. Dick Thornett passed away this morning.

Gronk

Staff member
Sad loss for the Eels. Sad loss for Australia

League
169 games for Parra
13 games for NSW
11 games games for Australia

Union
Played for Randwick 61/62
11 games for Wallabies

Water Polo
Represented Australia @ Rome Olympics

Stagger eel

Staff member
a true true legend of this club...

if there's a greatest ever eels team chosen now, him and Hindy would partner each other in the second row followed by daylight.

RIP Dick..I will cherish your autograph on my jersey forever.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/general/sporting-legend-thornett-dies/2321818.aspx

Sporting legend Thornett dies
BY BRAD FORREST

12 Oct, 2011 02:58 PM

RUGBY league and sport is in mourning following the death of Dick Thornett, the former 1960 water polo Olympian and one of the rare sportsmen to have represented Australia in three sports.

The Parramatta and Australian rugby union and rugby league star died in Sydney’s St Vincent’s Hospital this morning, following a long illness, and followed the death of former Test half and former referee, Keith Holman, in Sutherland Hospital.

Thornett’s close friend and former Test league forward, Jim Hall, said Thornett had suffered heart problems and ‘‘associated problems’’ which had forced him off his farm in Milthorpe, near Bathurst.

‘‘Dick was not only one of our best sportsmen, he was also a champion bloke,’’ said Hall. ‘‘We’d known each other since we were kids, when we were in the [police] force together...my first game of football was against Dick’s Parramatta side.’’

Thornett grew up in Sydney’s eastern suburbs and later played rugby for Randwick (1958 to 1962), and a member of the 1959 first grade premiership winning team.

He represented Australia at the 1960 Rome Olympics, but the next year won Australian Wallaby selection, going on to play 11 Tests and touring South Africa and New Zealand.

In 1963, aged 23, he switched codes and joined the Parramatta Eels, going on to play 168 first grade games over nine seasons.

He made his league Test debut against the first and only South African team to tour Australia, playing in both winning Tests, before touring England and France with the Kangaroos - the first All Australian team to bring the Ashes back (the 1912 team had also won the series in England but they contained four New Zealanders).

Dick played in all three tests. All up he played 11 league tests, five against Great Britain, four against France and the two with South Africa and was a member of the 1968 Australian World Cup winning side captained by Johnny Raper which defeated France 20-2 at the Sydney Cricket Ground before 54,290 fans.

The Roosters signed Dick in 1972 and he played just the one year.

He was the youngest of three brothers, the oldest John, now 70, played 37 tests for the Wallabies, mainly as a prop, and captained Australia in 16 tests from 1962 to 1967. John and Dick played eight union tests together.

Middle brother Ken played 12 league tests for Australia and toured with Dick on the 1963 Kangaroo tour to England and France.

parra pete

Referee
R I P Dick Thornett..A great great player who provided plenty of pleasure to the Parramatta supporters in the sixties. Fantastic ball skills, and plenty of mobility.
Here is an article from my 'memories' written by Clive Churchill about the Parramatta 1964 team which contained "Moby Dick".
I have an article some where about when Dick came on board to join brother Ken in 1963.
I can't find it atm...but I will and will stick it on here...

Parra look like Premiers 1964.jpg

The brothers in action...

Thornett Brothers 1963.jpg

In the photo behind Dick, is Derek (Pasty) Hallas...a tall former Englishman who was a fairly handy centre on his day..

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Wow, we were Clive Churchill's favs to win the comp in 1964 with 5 games to go. We managed to win a few 20 years on and are still working hard on another 20 years after that.

<sigh>

parra pete

Referee
Calendar disease (ie getting old) is the worst thing about life. I can still see the Thornett boys in my mind like it was yesterday. Grumpy Hambly, Kenny Foord, now Dick Thornett all passed away.
I am glad I had the pleasure of watching them play while I was old enough to appreciate their skills.
As a kid growing up in the Granville area, the highlight of our weekends was watching Parra play at Cumberland Oval, with an esky full of Tooheys Flag Ale stubbies...
Loved going with my mates to the SCG for match of the day on Saturday, but most of all LOVED my time at Cumberland Oval...We weren't keen, we were bloody fanatical...

Suitman

Post Whore
As a kid growing up in the Granville area,

Much different area now. I grew up in Harris Park. There's a drive by shooting every second week in Granville and the surrounding areas these days.

the highlight of our weekends was watching Parra play at Cumberland Oval, with an esky full of Tooheys Flag Ale stubbies...
Loved going with my mates to the SCG for match of the day on Saturday, but most of all LOVED my time at Cumberland Oval...We weren't keen, we were bloody fanatical...

Never saw Dick play - I don't think. If I did, I was a wee nipper and probably didn't realise. My memories of Cumberland though are equally fanatical.

RIP Dick.

Suity

parra pete

Referee
Much different area now. I grew up in Harris Park. There's a drive by shooting every second week in Granville and the surrounding areas these days.

Never saw Dick play - I don't think. If I did, I was a wee nipper and probably didn't realise. My memories of Cumberland though are equally fanatical.

RIP Dick.

Suity

I often hear of those shootings and feel so sad. I have often looked at my old house in South Granville (on Google Earth) where I grew up, and so much has changed.
I have been in the bush now since 1966 after being transferred with employment..All I can say is "Thank God I'm a Country boy"...Couldn't stand the rush rush of city life and the intolerance that goes with it.
Cumberland was a great part of my teenage years...I call my home out here "Cumberland" btw..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pete, is there a moment that stood out for you that involved "Moby"? ...a try? covering tackle or did you even meet the man, feel free to tell us about it...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I often hear of those shootings and feel so sad. I have often looked at my old house in South Granville (on Google Earth) where I grew up, and so much has changed.
I have been in the bush now since 1966 after being transferred with employment..All I can say is "Thank God I'm a Country boy"...Couldn't stand the rush rush of city life and the intolerance that goes with it.
Cumberland was a great part of my teenage years...I call my home out here "Cumberland" btw..

My dad grew up in Granville, Louis St. He's old like you Pete. Maybe you knew him. Were you close to Louis St?

Suitman

Post Whore
My dad grew up in Granville, Louis St. He's old like you Pete. Maybe you knew him. Were you close to Louis St?

I had an auntie and uncle who lived on Woodville Rd, and also other relo's who lived in, I think it was called, The Avenue. Curious to know whether you were near there Pete.

Suity

Gordy

Juniors
R.I.P Dick Thornett, obviously a freakish sporting talent.

Condolences to the Thornett Family.

parra pete

Referee
I had an auntie and uncle who lived on Woodville Rd, and also other relo's who lived in, I think it was called, The Avenue. Curious to know whether you were near there Pete.

Suity

I can remember both..I lived in Adah Street, between Adam and Eve, and next door to Mark and Matty Geyer's father..

The Avenue and Louie Street almost run into one another. I remember my late mother and father used to play tennis at Louie Street courts..that was in the mid fifties.
Kerry Burke, who played with Parra in the early sixties, lived in a street behind my place and George Cook, the Parramatta first hooker and player No 2..was my "Hello Godfarder"

Latest posts