What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the Telegraph fail in an attempt to bag League?

El Diablo

Post Whore
that's the impression I get from an excerpt from this article http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20598835-5007132,00.html

Sophie's father Ron was unaware of Monaghan's defence until The Daily Telegraph contacted him last night. He said while he was disappointed Monaghan had been speeding, he refused to attack him.

"Michael Monaghan does a lot of great work in the community and it is disappointing to learn of his offence," Mr Delezio said.

"I sincerely hope that the public's perception of Michael is not unfairly tainted as a result."

I don't think that was the answer they wanted or why would they have even contacted him?

Mr Saab

Referee
I like how he gets off because he needs his license for charity work.
How many plumbers/carpenters etc lose their license for speeding?
They need their license more so than what Michael does.
Just another anomaly that life presents.

innsaneink

Referee
They comment in their editorial as well today...basically saying "We hope he learns a lesson from this"

Ron Delizio was contacted because Sophie was used as an example of his charity work, and she is very high profile.

If it wasnt the answer they wanted they didnt have to use it.

As for Monnas speeding thru a school zone, who here hasnt when in an unfamiliar area?

El Diablo

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
They comment in their editorial as well today...basically saying "We hope he learns a lesson from this"

Ron Delizio was contacted because Sophie was used as an example of his charity work, and she is very high profile.

If it wasnt the answer they wanted they didnt have to use it.

if they didn't use it, it would surely leave Mr Delizio wondering why on Earth he was contacted.

the Telegraph seem to love having a go at League and we often read articles where they've contacted someone as to get a story.

juanfarkall

Coach
I wonder if a Souths player who did charity work in his community would have recieved a similar slap on the wrist.
:doubt: :sarcasm: :roll:

ShineDog

Juniors
People who have a car , know the law and should abide by the law....I don't care who they are!!!

Me included.

Brutus

Referee
Can you imagine an AFL player copping the front page, page 3 and an editorial for this?

Don't let anyone tell you the telecrap is a league-friendly paper again.

Mr Saab said:
No excuse.

oh FFS pal...I've had about jack with the state governments demonising of speeders. Go arrest some drug dealers.

Furthermore there was bugger all press on his medal re: charity.

Page three for his court appearance.

Fair dinkum...

:roll:

Charlie124

First Grade
A "work license" isnt really the same as getting a slap on the wrist. I dont know if the rules are the same in NSW but up here in QLD you are given 1 point to last you a year, if you lose that point then your penalty is greater than (sometimes double) what it would have been if you had just lost your license for 6 months from the initial offence.

eg. get busted for major speeding/minor drink driving - lose license for 6 months OR if you need your license for work you can apply for the "work lisence" but the consequences for re-offending are greater.

Mr Saab

Referee
International RL said:
oh FFS pal...I've had about jack with the state governments demonising of speeders. Go arrest some drug dealers.

Fair dinkum...

Thats life. He is a league player and they will recieve page 1-2-3 of a paper.
Same for any "celebrity".
If it was say Jessica Rowe or Bert Newton they too would have recieved such exposure.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
innsaneink said:
As for Monnas speeding thru a school zone, who here hasnt when in an unfamiliar area?

He was doing 76kph in a school zone.. Even if it wasn't a school zone, he is doing more than 15kph over the speed limit and would still have been busted..

innsaneink

Referee
Cockadoodledoo said:
He was doing 76kph in a school zone.. Even if it wasn't a school zone, he is doing more than 15kph over the speed limit and would still have been busted..

Yeah I noticed that, hes very lucky.

My post though refers to me personally, I know at times I speed slightly over the limit intentionally, to get past a slower driver or overtake, thats one thing...but its annoying find yourself unwittingly speeding, in an unfamiliar area to sometimes with obscure signs to go from 60 or in some cases 70 -- suddenly to 40, its almost like a trap.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
International RL said:

Fair dinkum...

It wasn't just a case of going too fast through a 40kph zone.

He was doing

78 kph in a 40 kph

school zone. That's right, where you children, just like Sophie Delezio have been injured or potentially killed.

I'm sure if you put it into an equation you'll discover Monaghan was travelling at 195% of the speed limit. That's close to double. It's beyond careless, it's reckless.

I have no problem with his being demonised simply because it was ridiculously over the top. Furthermore, he's had up to 3 previous offences racking up 9 points. Defending him is totally worthless and he deserves 6 months of suspension.

End of story.

dubby

Bench
International RL said:

Fair dinkum...

Dude, how many people are killed, injured or affected by idiots who speed?

Go tell Sophie why police shouldnt crack down on speeders. :evil:

Let me guess, the speed limit doesnt apply to you does it?

skeepe

Immortal
f**k me dead there are some paranoid people here. If anything, the article is bagging out the justice system for letting him off.

meltiger

First Grade
International RL said:

Fair dinkum...

^^ This is the precise reason why they 'demonise' speeding drivers.

None of you seem to believe you have to abide by the law.

Don't speed, don't break the law... You have nothing to worry about.

& front page for a speeding footballer .... LMAO