What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different standards

SaintTPP

First Grade
I think the salary cap should be lowered to around 2 million and then only count 50% of the juniors salaries to the cap. Although that would never happen because the roosters have about 2 players who are juniors and they wouldn't allow it.. :roll:

Vicious

Bench
I reckon teams should only be able to play 5 or 6 imports in their 17.To make the Rorters happy the rule could be that if you started your 1st grade career at a particular club and preceded to play atleast 20 games with them,then you can be counted as a junior.

KFC

Juniors
Thanks Suzie I was tgrying to offer your team encouragement.

If you continue to develop you will attract internationals, better yet you will create your own like we did.

Crocker, Ricketson, Fletcher, Hegarty, Cayless, Fitzgibbon and Wing all became international players while at our club.

And you guys have one of the hottest prospects in the game in Marshall, you've got the QLD half back and a host of players that have represented at origin level.

So as much as it sucks, it takes time.

tiger78

Juniors
KFC said:
Thanks Suzie I was tgrying to offer your team encouragement.

If you continue to develop you will attract internationals, better yet you will create your own like we did.

Crocker, Ricketson, Fletcher, Hegarty, Cayless, Fitzgibbon and Wing all became international players while at our club.

And you guys have one of the hottest prospects in the game in Marshall, you've got the QLD half back and a host of players that have represented at origin level.

So as much as it sucks, it takes time.
Hang on, How many of those were roosters juniors? not Wing or Fitzgibbon or Fletcher or crocker, hang on neither was Cayless, dont tell us about creating internationals out of your own juniors!!!!

KFC

Juniors
I didn't say there were Easts jumiors.

They were young players that we identified and recruited, just like you did with Benji Marshall.

We don't have a huge junior base so we recruit youngsters from other states and teams.

And if you were a 16/17 year old player Easta is a very attractive club to join.

Apart from the on field success the club offers opportunities after footbal and provides accommodation in Bondi one of Australia's most exciting places to live.

BTW Fletcher was an Easts junior he played for the Paddington Colts.

tiger78

Juniors
Of course Easts are attractive, any 17 year old who hasn't even played premier league would look quite favourably on earning $70,000 a year. Don't be so pompeous about saying Bondi is such a great place to live, what are you saying its better than Campbelltown or the inner west? Snob!!

KFC

Juniors
tiger78 clearly you are a malcontent.

Not once have a slurred your clubs name.

Not once have I gloated about last night's game and yet you seem incapable of having a civil conversation.

And if you think that Cambletown or the inner West is a more attractive place to live for a young player then you are living on another planet.

And yeah I may be a snob but i'm a realist unlike you.

As for your assumption that we pay kids 70 grand a year a little proof would go along way to substantiating your claim.

Suzie

Juniors
I don't get why you're getting so uppity to KFC (and no, i don't know him/her, or anything like that). Being gracious in defeat is soemthing to aspire to, even more so is being gracious in triumph. Really, this person and any other rooster supporter could come in here and bag the crap out of us, our team, the coaches, everything, but they haven't. The only person who HAS had a go is an eels supporter, and that's because Hodgo is our fullback, not theirs! ;-) Lighten up, dude!

WT2004

Juniors
The thing with the roosters is that kerry packer basically owns the team and we all know he owns channel 9, therefore limited information about the rooster sh-t they mite be in would be release. And as everyone said how can you have a team full of internationals and still be under the salary cap, load of sh-t, because isnt it true once they become a representive playing doesnt their salary increase. Take for example St George had to get rid of two leading representive players because they were over, so how in the hell are the roosters under :?: O yeah the NRL exemption for newcastle load of crap they can change the salary cap rules but can't fix up the WT vs Souths at the start of the year(sorry to bring it up). The whole entire game is corrupted :cry: and the teams who actually do the honest thing get hardly anywhere some do because they are playing well, whereas teams like the rooster can get away with murder and have the best ref Australia has produce this decade teach them the sneaky tricks of the trade. Thats my opinion.

Vicious

Bench
magpiemax said:
KFC said:
That's 2 junior's now Fletch & Ricko. :roll: :roll:
You could probably throw in Ryan Cross as well,him being a Waverly boy,but it seems as though they will lose him to the Waratahs.Dont you feel so sorry for them?Maybe if they let Brett Firman sign for a club who needs him more than they do,they could have kept 1 of their 3 juniors!

KFC

Juniors
We all know Easts have a limited number of juniors but there's two that have come through the grades and played for Australia. Besides this discussion was not about juniors it was about the implications of different standards.

magpiemax

Juniors
Vicious said:
magpiemax said:
KFC said:
That's 2 junior's now Fletch & Ricko. :roll: :roll:
You could probably throw in Ryan Cross as well,him being a Waverly boy,but it seems as though they will lose him to the Waratahs.Dont you feel so sorry for them?Maybe if they let Brett Firman sign for a club who needs him more than they do,they could have kept 1 of their 3 juniors!
Don't worry buddy,Firman is no Fittler and I don't think the Rooster's are going to be quite the same side next year without Freddy. :lol:

cadburys

Juniors
I didn't say there were Easts jumiors.

They were young players that we identified and recruited, just like you did with Benji Marshall.

We don't have a huge junior base so we recruit youngsters from other states and teams.

And if you were a 16/17 year old player Easta is a very attractive club to join.

Apart from the on field success the club offers opportunities after footbal and provides accommodation in Bondi one of Australia's most exciting places to live.

This is what kfc quoted, and i think you hit the nail right on the head.

Wilks

Juniors
angry ant said:
Guys

How these teams get away with having so many class players is all Third Party agreements.

They rely on companies that dont have a sponsorship with th NRL or their club to sponsor a certain player. It works with the Broncos so well as they are the only team in Sth East QLD and can rely on a company to sponsor say Tallis and use him for promo work and none of it is included in the cap. The companies have to provide bank guarantees in case it falls thru.

Unfortunately with the strength of our team at the moment and due to us being in a compettive and overcrowded market we cant afford that and thereforemiss out on signing these big name players

Great post Ant.

What is the story with Triggaboff (sp?)?? If he has jumped on board as a sponsor it may have been better for him to sponsor players himself and this money would not be included as part of the cap. This way we can go after players like Monaghan and Pritchard.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Suzie said:
I dunno, guys, blaming the salary cap for us losing seems to be a bit like saying - oh but the other team were crap when we win? I think it's a cop out. I actually thought KFC was giving our team a wrap and some encouragement?? :?

Well especially considering at the moment we don't have the funds to spend to the salary cap :cry:

Suzie

Juniors
Ok -= one more time for the dummy (that's me folks :oops: ) ... Wests Tigers don't have enough money to spend up to the salary cap? Is that what the story is? So if we had the money, we'd be able to buy some top of the market players? :?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Suzie said:
Ok -= one more time for the dummy (that's me folks :oops: ) ... Wests Tigers don't have enough money to spend up to the salary cap? Is that what the story is? So if we had the money, we'd be able to buy some top of the market players? :?

We will have the money soon as we start to actually get a full quota of sponsors - we do have some room to move in this department but in saying that we don't have the funds to move the whole way.

We have about $450k more than what we had last year which a great sign to spend this year, next year hopefully we will be able to go the whole distance ;-)