What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dirty Laundry

since77

Juniors
SuperCoach Mary DUI Mc Gregor has revealed in an interview his reasons for only using 3 interchange players in tight games. "Peter Doust has set a tight budget for washing powder in 2016, so I'm under strict instructions to not get jerseys dirty unnecessarily. I'm using it as a positive though as it really gets the guys to work hard for each other and pull together to ensure there's enough Sard's Wonder Soap for our end of season trip, scheduled to start at the end of round 26."

kit66

Bench
He's using all 8 interchanges though isn't he ?
Can't see the problem. If you need to get a Packer or Cooper back out there instead of a spare hooker say, then so be it.
Can't help thinking how well we'd have gone so far if we'd had our full compliment of forwards each week e.g......

8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Packer
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Cooper

Bench
14. JDB
15. Masoe
16. Matthews
17. Creagh / Utility.

Minh

First Grade
Can't see the problem. If you need to get a Packer or Cooper back out there instead of a spare hooker say, then so be it.
Can't help thinking how well we'd have gone so far if we'd had our full compliment of forwards each week e.g......

8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Packer
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Cooper

Bench
14. JDB
15. Masoe
16. Matthews
17. Creagh / Utility.

True.

BennyV

Referee
While this is a horrible attempt at humour, our use of the interchange was a shitty blemish in an otherwise awesome, gutsy win. We absolutely dominated the opening stansa, then spend the last 20 of rhe first half and the last 10 of rhe game with Packer, Ah Mau and Cooper on the bench! Rein is getting cramps stretched out at the 50 minute mark, yet Mary leaves him on and lets McCrone catch a cold on the sideline.

As I said, was very frustrating to see in what was otherwise a great home game to be at!

BrissyRedV

Bench
How does he not bring Frizz back on until the 70th minute? The bloke is an 80 minute backrower and he opts to leave him off foe the majority of tbe 2nd half!

BennyV

Referee
How does he not bring Frizz back on until the 70th minute? The bloke is an 80 minute backrower and he opts to leave him off foe the majority of tbe 2nd half!

Friz rotated to the middle when Marketo came on. In our "structure" (and I use that term loosely) Friz makes more impact in the middle. However, it ups his work rate, so I doubt he can pump out 80 mins.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
Interchange usage very poor.

With ref to Frizzell, i prefer he be used out wide as others have stated.

Such a waste to use him as a battering ram.

Old Timer

Coach
Interchange usage very poor.

With ref to Frizzell, i prefer he be used out wide as others have stated.

Such a waste to use him as a battering ram.

This is exactly what we did to Ben Creagh and we dramatically reduced his tackle busting effectiveness and the same will happen to Frizz whilst Mary and the likes coach the team.

Dragons 09

Juniors

But that didn't happen kit. Packer played 44 mins and Cooper played 53 mins while Marketo from the bench played 60 mins. All as Mary did was give McCrones minutes to Marketo. Not bagging Jake, thought he did everything that was expected of him, but let's not think Mary played a master stroke. In fact, the extended use of Marketo tells me Mary wanted to defend the lead we had rather than extend it...........i'd say that was a negative use of the bench.

Old Timer

Coach
The use of the bench is critical in 2 ways.

1. If you are on top and want to increase the tempo even further to give yourself better chances to score.

2. If your team is flagging in defence and you need to up the line speed and the hitting power particularly the first man in.

We never use it effectively in the first point as our points for indicate.

In the second point, because we always try to defend a lead which our against points indicate, so we end up with multiple players being tired all at the one time.

So a 1 off replacement will not help the defensive pattern and in some cases it will hamper the defence because if the fresh man runs up quickly to defend and the others lag behind a hole is created.

If we closely look at most games it happens around the ruck area a lot when Rein and the middle forwards have been under the pump particularly after multiple line drop outs.

I don't think Mary really knows who is a genuine >60 minute player and due to the bash and barge tactics we employ even those that are > 60 minute players are flogged into the ground.

So many other teams lift a cog or two in attack when their replacements come on and when ours do we hope that they can arrest the opposition attack

The timing of the rotation is critical and I am yet to see it used effectively this year or last year for that matter.

SBD82

Coach
This is exactly what we did to Ben Creagh and we dramatically reduced his tackle busting effectiveness and the same will happen to Frizz whilst Mary and the likes coach the team.

I prefer frizzell on the edge too. In an interview frizzell said that Mary had asked him to play some minutes in the middle after JDB got injured as the middle forward stocks are low. In that context I don't think it's an awful move the only question is whether frizzell should stay on the right edge, Marketo drops out of the side and we bring a different middle forward onto the bench.

Hopefully JDB is back sooner rather than later and sims comes quickly to shore up our stocks. Then frizzell can return to the edge where I think he plays his best footy.

Latest posts