What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Roosters Anzac Day

Phantom V

Juniors
If I am honest I don’t know if it is about lessons anymore.

The Suli matter and losing Rav really hurt us for doing those crucial metres out of trouble the forwards can’t do. I think that was a small part of the loss as well as 3 matches in 11 days. Notable challenges, but it was just an excuse at the end of the day, and our lot will take an excuse if it’s there.

Overall, we should expect that our players, despite knowing their weaknesses are going to lose every other game because they are not mentally or physically up to the task. It's hard to put back to back performances together for our guys. Has been since Bennett days.

How many times have you watched the Dragons - regardless of coach - and wondered “why are they still doing that?”. We don’t learn lessons.

Fullbacks out of position every other week.
Forwards huffing and puffing by minute 30.
Halves, caught by rushed defence, kicking and hoping because it is an afterthought.
No one supporting the ball runner.
Defenders caught asleep up the middle.
The list goes on.

No doubt we have a good 70-80% of our team sorted for the next few years but as has been the case for some time now, we DESPERATELY need to be signing marquee players. The ones who know how to win. I'm less concerned about the 60 points than the silence in the player market.
I think it was the 3 matches in 11 days that caught up with us. It’s not our fitness, we probably spent more time behind the goal posts than in general play. The rorters had the momentum all game we couldn’t control the ruck. Hunt, Sloan and Lomax all went to pieces once things didn’t go our way.

I think it was the 3 matches in 11 days that caught up with us. It’s not our fitness, we probably spent more time behind the goal posts than in general play. The rorters had the momentum all game we couldn’t control the ruck. Hunt, Sloan and Lomax all went to pieces once things didn’t go our way.
By the way, it was 3 matches in 12 days.

rasaint

Juniors
Yesterday’s terrible loss; well it is what it is.

Side comments:
1. Kyle Flanagan is not an attacking 5/8. However, being fair he tackles very well. Even against Manu a couple of times he pulled him down. Has sufficient pace to come across and clean up situations. I notice some feel that Dom Young ran over the top of him. Semi true but Flanagan effected a classic low legs tackle. Young hit the deck but got a foot loose to reach over and claim a try.
2. Zac isn’t that good friends. Never has been.
3. Blake Lawrie courageous but ineffective.
4. wow Roosters have a great roster! still missing Lenui, Radley and some other SOE player. The ball bounced their way and their line speed at another level.
5.JWH seems to be getting an improved Judiciary review this year with minor offences and nothing from yesterday. ( Yes, a head clash with Suli but forearm strike almost simultaneously occurred).
6. It’s a shame but I don’t expect to recruit good quality players For 2025 either. I hear that the panthers winger rejected us for the Tigs.

Parko1310

Juniors
Time for Blake Lawrie to f**k right off for Couchman now.. it's time to give him some game time, even if he can't play the rest of the season from here, he can be rotated. Watch how slow the line speed becomes with Blake Lawrie on its ridiculous. Being at the game yesterday, it was even more obvious. Even though they were tired, line speed improved in the final 8 minutes with him off. He offers f**k all, he needs to go. Bird was useless, Hunt horrendous, Lomax might have packed it in for the year. Terrible, just terrible

redv13

Bench
Time for Blake Lawrie to f**k right off for Couchman now.. it's time to give him some game time, even if he can't play the rest of the season from here, he can be rotated. Watch how slow the line speed becomes with Blake Lawrie on its ridiculous. Being at the game yesterday, it was even more obvious. Even though they were tired, line speed improved in the final 8 minutes with him off. He offers f**k all, he needs to go. Bird was useless, Hunt horrendous, Lomax might have packed it in for the year. Terrible, just terrible
I’ve been a Lawrie fan for quite a while but I’m starting to come round to what’s being said. I’ll be disappointed when Luc is back if BMM loses his spot ahead of Lawrie. Not sure what the go is but maybe a stint in Reggie’s for a month will light the fire for blocker. I’ll admit his standards in 2024 have been very poor

Walpole

Juniors
Adam Gee tried to ref the game as if it was a SOO game only problem is there was one side with SOO quality players and the other was KOE cup quality..
He wanted us off the rooster players as soon as we made contact thus creating a quick ruck, he also allowed the rooster players to take a step sideways before playing the ball which took our markers out as well..
Good point. Given the occasion Gee thought we would get a game like origin or last years grand final.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My simple take on yesterday's game.

Robbo's game plan worked to perfection. He targeted our halves and hooker in attack, which eventually opened up huge gaps. Yes, it didn't help with Suli out in the first minute, but that's football, it could happen to any team at any time. We unfortunately didn't have the players to fill Suli's position seamlessly.

Disturbing stats:

HUNT - 6 tackles made 5 missed 5 ineffective.
KFLAN - 15 tackles made 7 missed 2 ineffective.
LIDS - 25 tackles made 7 missed 4 ineffective.

We missed 50 tackles, "50"!!! with these 3 contributing to 19 (38%) of them. So, much for our Super Senior Defensive Coach.

Adversity can strike any team, but it's how they respond that is the true indicator of their resolve. Once we capitulated, there was no way back, and full-time couldn't come soon enough.

It will be imperative that we mentally address this game rather than physically. It's a Dragon's thing since Bennett to wallow in pity for some weeks. Let's see how Flanno gets them up for his Waterloo.

Our bench selection certainly ensures we are totally screwed if an outside back goes down.

I'm thinking perhaps Rava could spend some time in the forwards, off the bench, the added bonus would be coverage for an outside back injury?

Don't think we get enough out of Bird in starting 13 or Bench

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate, that had nothing to do with the elbow. It was a head clash. If you see the replay, you can see Suli gets jammed in by Sua, which causes the contact.

The game was a dud though. I had a feeling a loss was coming, but didn't expect to see 60 get put on us.
I watched the replay yesterday a number of times , however in my enthusiasm of JWH’s style of back-lane thuggery I mistook his hit on Suli as an elbow to the head .

My error , it was a thumping forearm to his jaw .

Last edited:

St Tangles

Bench
I think the Tigers offer was slightly less, he went there because he is slightly related to Koroisau and close to Laui so his decision was based on established relationships.
It was more than our base offer of $400K with incentives if he played over a certain amount of games at fullback