What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion with Pete Nolan

emjaycee

Coach
I had a very interesting day today and thought I would share it with you, seeing as everyone who posts on here has in interest in what is happening at our beloved Parramatta Eels.

Sorry about the length of the post, but I am sure you will find it as worthwhile as I did. Firstly, I should give you a small bit of background about me, so you know where I was coming from and why I did what I did.

I am 44 years of age, have been at every Parra GF since 1981 and am a Season Ticket Holder, Leagues Club and Football Club Member and definitely a “fan”. In my worklife, run my own company and have managed annual budgets in excess of $80M for one of the most recognisable brands in Australia so I am used to dealing with CEO’s and Boards and when I want to know something about a company I am interested in, I have no hesitation in picking up the phone or sending an email to the CEO or Director or whomever and asking what I want to know.

At 12.15pm today I sent an email to Bob Bentley, CEO of Parramatta Leagues Club to ask him a few things about the club and make the odd suggestion to him. The email is reproduced below (not all of it):

[FONT=&quot]Mr Bentley,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My name is Matt and I am long-time fan, season ticket holder, Football and Leagues Clubs member and I am also active on a number of internet forums related to the Eels.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Feel free to tell me to get lost at anytime however as a fan I thought it my responsibility to raise an issue with you that is causing some anguish with an increasing number of fans and no it isn't directly about the team or coaches performance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bob, the fans need some news from the club that is positive. There is very little coming out about anything good we are doing to improve the long term view especially given this years disappointing on field results.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Simple comments about Coach Kearney's 5 year plan with no details are not satisfying people.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you are comfortable releasing an email to members with some small details of the longer term plan or even announcing any new signings or extensions for current players it would help make fans a bit happier.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Not trying to tell you how to do your job and feel free to tell me to piss off if you want. Just a concerned fan who loves the Eels and wants to see them succeed.[/FONT]
At 5.25 this evening I received a telephone call from Peter Nolan, who has been asked by Bob Bentley to give me a call. This call lasted for 45 mins and whilst a lot of what we discussed was and will remain confidential, Nolan did agree to me posting some things on here for all to read.

Firstly, we talked about the “mess” that Kearney and Nolan found the club in when they arrived and it wasn’t about a ‘losing culture’ but rather one of confusion for the players and staff. A high turn-over of coaches over the years had led to no-one being sure of what the focus should be on things like fitness, body shape, etc and players were “unsettled” in their preparation for each season and each game.

We talked about the salary cap and how there was a level of in-balance in it that definitely limited the ability to sign the type and level of players needed. Recruitment had been haphazard and an example given was that there was no-one in the club in the under 20’s that was suitable for a particular position – no one. So they had to recruit someone to play in the 20’s and build for the future.

Nolan explained a great deal about the “system” and how the belief is that “the system makes the player, the players don’t make the system “ and our system was “loose” and a “mess”. He described a 3 tier pyramid model with the base layer being physical, the middle layer technical and the top layer about tactical and how the layers and players need to built on from the bottom up.

We talked at length about recruitment and retention and Pete did say that I could post that we should all expect some announcements in the next 2 weeks about player retention and maybe recruitment. One thing that has been a focus of the management team is not to talk to the media about signings, etc and that we shouldn’t read what is written in the papers cause they simply do not talk to the media. In fact I got the impression that we potentially would lose signings if the player or his manager thought it would leak to the media before they wanted it announced.

So there you have it – my interesting day.

I am not going to go into any more details about what was said but let me be clear – I have no affiliation with the club or its board than what I stated at the top of this post. I am not a mouthpiece for the club and I am not trying to feed any club propaganda. I took action as an interested fan and I got what I believe was an open and honest dialogue with one of the key members of the staff at the Eels.

GO PARRA!!

Last edited:

pazzaeel

Juniors
I had a very interesting day today and thought I would share it with you, seeing as everyone who posts on here has in interest in what is happening at our beloved Parramatta Eels.

Sorry about the length of the post, but I am sure you will find it as worthwhile as I did. Firstly, I should give you a small bit of background about me, so you know where I was coming from and why I did what I did.

I am 44 years of age, have been at every Parra GF since 1981 and am a Season Ticket Holder, Leagues Club and Football Club Member and definitely a “fan”. In my worklife, run my own company and have managed annual budgets in excess of $80M for one of the most recognisable brands in Australia so I am used to dealing with CEO’s and Boards and when I want to know something about a company I am interested in, I have no hesitation in picking up the phone or sending an email to the CEO or Director or whomever and asking what I want to know.

At 12.15pm today I sent an email to Bob Bentley, CEO of Parramatta Leagues Club to ask him a few things about the club and make the odd suggestion to him. The email is reproduced below (not all of it):

At 5.25 this evening I received a telephone call from Peter Nolan, who has been asked by Bob Bentley to give me a call. This call lasted for 45 mins and whilst a lot of what we discussed was and will remain confidential, Nolan did agree to me posting some things on here for all to read.

Firstly, we talked about the “mess” that Kearney and Nolan found the club in when they arrived and it wasn’t about a ‘losing culture’ but rather one of confusion for the players and staff. A high turn-over of coaches over the years had led to no-one being sure of what the focus should be on things like fitness, body shape, etc and players were “unsettled” in their preparation for each season and each game.

We talked about the salary cap and how there was a level of in-balance in it that definitely limited the ability to sign the type and level of players needed. Recruitment had been haphazard and an example given was that there was no-one in the club in the under 20’s that was suitable for a particular position – no one. So they had to recruit someone to play in the 20’s and build for the future.

Nolan explained a great deal about the “system” and how the belief is that “the system makes the player, the players don’t make the system “ and our system was “loose” and a “mess”. He described a 3 tier pyramid model with the base layer being physical, the middle layer technical and the top layer about tactical and how the layers and players need to built on from the bottom up.

We talked at length about recruitment and retention and Pete did say that I could post that we should all expect some announcements in the next 2 weeks about player retention and maybe recruitment. One thing that has been a focus of the management team is not to talk to the media about signings, etc and that we shouldn’t read what is written in the papers cause they simply do not talk to the media. In fact I got the impression that we potentially would lose signings if the player or his manager thought it would leak to the media before they wanted it announced.

I am not going to go into any more details about what was said but let me be clear – I have no affiliation with the club or its board than what I stated at the top of this post. I am not a mouthpiece for the club and I am not trying to feed any club propaganda. I took action as an interested fan and I got what I believe was an open and honest dialogue with one of the key members of the staff at the Eels.

GO PARRA!!

Im not having a dig mate, but why bother telling us this? IMO there isnt much we havent heard and the stuff thats new doesnt mean much. its pretty f**kin obvious that all eels fans want to know what the f**k is happening with the club, granted that you took the time to write an email, but why dont they come out and tell everyone what he told you? furthermore, why did he confide such things in you? like i said, not having a dig but why would he tell you stuff that he doesnt want you to repeat? i respect you for keeping your word and not putting it on here for the whole world too see.

what will be revealed soon? the 5 year plan? signings? resignings? i dont see that there is alot to reveal, we need to get results on the field.

emjaycee

Coach
Im not having a dig mate, but why bother telling us this? IMO there isnt much we havent heard and the stuff thats new doesnt mean much. its pretty f**kin obvious that all eels fans want to know what the f**k is happening with the club, granted that you took the time to write an email, but why dont they come out and tell everyone what he told you? furthermore, why did he confide such things in you? like i said, not having a dig but why would he tell you stuff that he doesnt want you to repeat? i respect you for keeping your word and not putting it on here for the whole world too see.

what will be revealed soon? the 5 year plan? signings? resignings? i dont see that there is alot to reveal, we need to get results on the field.

Pazzaeel, mate when I sent the email i wasnt asking for a phone call so i could be told what was going on and i told nolan numerous times throughout the call that I didnt contact the club for me to be told stuff but rather to encourage them to send some more details to the members. I cant be responsible for how they choose to communicate but felt it fair to post what I was comfortable saying.

The all will be revealed was a little dig at Pou, though as I posted, some signing news will be coming out in the next 2 weeks.

Captain BF

Juniors

GO PARRA!!
Emjaycee, It all sounds very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences from today.

Parra Pride

Referee
I can't believe you spoke to Peter Nolan and didn't ask him a single question about The Dark Knight Rises.

#IAmDisappoint

Stagger eel

Staff member
wonderful post, great thread...

isn't it refreshing to see a post from someone who's actually made the effort to talk to the people at the club rather than just rely on media reports.

Gronk

Staff member
OK thanks. It's great that he chose to speak frankly with you. Emjaycee,

Could he explain why we are a worse team from last year ?

Only Hayne, Sandow and soon Hoppa would be on big bucks long term. There are a heap of players off contract for 2013 and the cap has increased. There should be no reason why we should not be signing some quality IMO.

Both Hagan and Ando have been criticised for having no real structure, so this makes sense.

Emjaycee you gave us nothing here. I assume that Nolan didn't name names ? Did he at least infer that our squad for 2013 would be improved enough to competitive with the other 15 teams ?

emjaycee

Coach
Could he explain why we are a worse team from last year ?

He didn't directly and I didn't ask, because we were talking more about the fundamentals then the results. I asked him where he and Kearney thought we were in relation to when they arrived in so much as implementation and development of the 'system' they want and Nolan believes things are "1000%" better then they were on Jan 31 2011 when he started.

Emjaycee you gave us nothing here. I assume that Nolan didn't name names ? Did he at least infer that our squad for 2013 would be improved enough to competitive with the other 15 teams ?
No new signings were named. Some re-signings I was told about and these are at least what will be announced shortly.

Bigfella

Coach
Oh dear.

The people who want to believe what they want to believe wont care about what is being done that they won't or can't acknowledge.

I guess they don't like hearing about how f**ked things were when these guys came in, or how long it might take to fix.

The quick fix, sack everyone, I-liked-the-last-guy-brigade should seriously just f**k off and find a new club let the rest of us go through the rebuilding process.

Latest posts