What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion with Pete Nolan

pazzaeel

Juniors
Emjaycee - I just want to reiterate that I am not trying to bag you. I appreciate you taking the time to contact the club and write your post.

It just shits me that this is how the club chooses to get such information out there. I think all fans are deserving of a bit of an explanation. Not just the ones who read this forum.

You are obviously concerned about the direction (or lack of)the club is taking at the moment. How do you feel about things after your chat with Nolan?

strider

Post Whore
the second post I wanted to make ...

Bigfella - deadset you are quickly becoming one of the most annoying twats on this forum ..... you want to support everyone currently involved at the club and have faith in it all, fantastic! ..... but the sooner you wake the f**k up and quit this constant rubbish directed at anyone who doesn't agree with you the better off we'll all be

seriously! ... I recognise there are probably a small number of ppl who have some attachment to past management/coaches/etc, but the vast majority of people on here don't give a flying f**k about Fitzy or DA or anyone else gone by .... its about what is here now and how well we are doing now - and the fact is we are doing pretty much equal to the worst I can remember in my living memory - so people have every right to be fed up.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm pleased that he have a guy like Nolan who comes across like he has half an idea. Clearly leaving that job to Reddy was a mistake. Having said that Nolan has tp prove himself in this results driven environment. Time will tell if he can walk the walk.

Notwithstanding the revised structures, the new blokes at the club (SK, BA & PN) are not a package by any means and they all have their individual roles to carry out. The bloke who is in the spotlight right now is SK and his results are really poor. The team's performance this year and last are evidence of that. For mine, SK remains in my sights and I am unconvinced that he his the right man for the job going forward.

As always, never a dull moment at the Eels.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Politicians have been doing this since the beginning of time, blaming the previous government.

exactly, and people only jump on bandwagons when things a hunky dory since the begining of time but this is a footy club not a government...

emjaycee

Coach
Emjaycee - I just want to reiterate that I am not trying to bag you. I appreciate you taking the time to contact the club and write your post.

It just shits me that this is how the club chooses to get such information out there. I think all fans are deserving of a bit of an explanation. Not just the ones who read this forum.

You are obviously concerned about the direction (or lack of)the club is taking at the moment. How do you feel about things after your chat with Nolan?

Pazzaeel, obviously I didn't record the conversation with Nolan and I made notes of things that I deemed pertinent at the time. I was also at work and to be honest the call came out of the blue so I wasn't really prepared however let me tell you it was not a one-way conversation.

I have also been involved in so many start-ups as both a consultant and a manager that I kinda understand that in any business there is a need to build a base first. You dont just go to market and expect results without having done the hard yards with product development, staff development, support infrastructure such as logistics and distribution, strategy setting, etc.

If I was to be honest, personally I feel that if the goal is an immediate win with no foundation for long term success, i would be disappointed with where we are and what we are doing.

If the goal was long-term success and development of a solid base to build from, then I would be satisfied that the business is putting the right things in place. Does this guarantee success, no. There are market factors that every business faces as both challenges and opportunities and it is how you deal with these and what preparation you have done that determines your success. Rugby League is no different. You lose players you want to keep, you get injuries to key players, etc. It is how well you are prepared to deal with them that makes the difference.

For all the negative comments we see on here, I personally am confident that a solid base is being built. Doesn't mean it will work but at least it is being attempted.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Let me clarify a little bit more if I can... there was NO discussion at length about individuals who are currently with the club and who are leaving and hence freeing up cap space or who specifically is being targeted for next year and beyond. The 'imbalance' comment was more in reference to when they arrived and what they could do for the 2012 roster, not what it meant for 2013 and beyond. A brief part of the conversation was about the need for squad balance with various levels of payments for players (eg. some highly paid, some middle of the scale and some at the bottom end). Sorry, that's all I really have on this matter.

One thing that was qualified is that the "5 year plan" label is NOT from Kearney or Nolan, but a media label. They expect results before that.

I have had lengthy discussions with Nolan and others on this subject and I'm aware that they don't discuss individuals. Last year there was talk of 2013 being the year when we would have a squad that could put us in finals contention. This year there is talk that the cap will still be affected for next year. I'm pretty sure they are just playing things down and doing their best to keep everyone guessing which IMO is a good thing..........well I bloody well hope so anyway !

There is nothing wrong with a five year plan in fact I hope we stick to a long term plan regardless of what happens with the board, Nolan or Kearney. It doesn't matter what they call it or for how long. One thing we ALL know including them is that so far it's not going to plan regarding results. Naturally we are ALL hoping that changes.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I have had lengthy discussions with Nolan and others on this subject and I'm aware that they don't discuss individuals. Last year there was talk of 2013 being the year when we would have a squad that could put us in finals contention. This year there is talk that the cap will still be affected for next year. I'm pretty sure they are just playing things down and doing their best to keep everyone guessing which IMO is a good thing..........well I bloody well hope so anyway !

There is nothing wrong with a five year plan in fact I hope we stick to a long term plan regardless of what happens with the board, Nolan or Kearney. It doesn't matter what they call it or for how long. One thing we ALL know including them is that so far it's not going to plan regarding results. Naturally we are ALL hoping that changes.

in 35 years of supporting this club, 3 individuals come to mind that have been absolutely amazing to talk to and very approachable and Nolan is one of them...the other 2 should still be at this club coaching and running the football operations..

emjaycee

Coach

Nothing to do with my conversation with Nolan, but this is where stability is needed. The Board has signed onto the strategy/structure/system that SK and co have proposed. If any of SK, PN or BA leave the Board needs to be strong enough to hold the new team to the same strategy. And if the Board leaves, SK and Co need to be able to convince the new Board of the value in the strategy. Otherwise it is a wasted effort.

Suitman

Post Whore
He needs to be given his 3 years but fmd when next year, we are the same as this year, maybe you blind faith people will see what a now majority of us see and realise Kearney was never the man for this job at this club, where the board are fans, not astute football operations people!

It's comments like this that shit me.
You're hoping it will happen so you can say "I told you so".
I don't give a shit if you buy 1000 season tickets. This attitude sucks.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member

Suity

Suity I think that you're smart enough to know that there is not a person on this forum who is not as equally passionate about the club and all yearn for success. To suggest that Kornster is hoping for failure is an Abbottism at it's best.

Maybe he is not as patient as you. Can you really blame him ?

Parra

Referee
"It was all such a mess" & " The salary cap is a problem".

I'm not buying this at all. FFS the team had been in the grand final only 15 months or so earlier.

Fact is the next blokes in have a huge mess to clean up. And no amount of blame shifting in the meantime is going to change that fact.

Kornstar

Coach

Suity

You don't know, or do you want to know me, so don't pretend you know what I would want to say!

There isn't I told you so, that is for children! I want success, f***ing sue me, how dare I not be happy with the way our coach is performing!!! I don't see light, plain and simple!

I would actually rather be hammered on here every day and have a sticky thread labelled with "that fat f*** kornstar was wrong, let's remind him every day" if SK proves me wrong, if you believe for one second that I would waste my time and money on us wanting to fail, then I think that says more about the kind of person you are then it does me!

I live and breath this team and if you don't think I am hurting and just want us to be competitive, again, more about you than me!

Parra

Referee
Some people can't ever say they were wrong Kornstar.

Appointing Kearney was a mistake.
The proof is in the results.
Until either he and his coaching team say "We were wrong" and change what they are doing or whoever appointed them says "We were wrong" we will just be watching more of the same each week.

Sticking with a plan and sticking with contract terms out of sheer stubbornness is useless. But this is preferable for some people when the other option is to say "We were wrong".

Bigfella

Coach
Why do you have to say patronising shit like "I think you're smart enough..."?

Isn't that more a bartman thing?

Latest posts