What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disney Acquires Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII is a reality

Pugzley

Hamil may play a mentoring role like Alec Guiness did. Don't know if he's still spry enough to do all the wire work and kung fu sword play that is associated with the prequels. Jedi Academy movie?

sydraider

First Grade
Yeah I got a feeling ep 7 will be set many years after ROTJ. Still not sure how I feel about this, its great there will be another movie but Disney???

Joker's Wild

Coach
Ep 7 will be set well after Ep6 given there's not much story that hasn't been covered by the expanded universe novels, comics and games. I doubt any of the original characters will be alive in the chosen time period.

Pugzley

I hope to god Jedi Academy or any other SW film is not done like Spy Kids and aimed at all tweens and kids, but leaves out all the original Star Wars fans.

Scorpio30

Bench
This can only be disasterous.

To me only the 3 original films exist...am happy with the remastered "gold" versions from the late 90's though.

Joker's Wild

Coach
An Old Republic film would be epicly awesome though

I really dont have any fears that Disney will send Star Wars down a fluffy, kiddie-esque path. They own Marvel and pretty much leave them alone to do what they do best. I think they will do the same here, they'd be mad if they didnt.

cleary89

Coach
meh disney has been good with marvel and not bad with pixar. should cash in big time. expect star wars world soon, similar to all the harry potter stuff the WB has cashed in on.

Joker's Wild

Coach
meh disney has been good with marvel and not bad with pixar. should cash in big time. expect star wars world soon, similar to all the harry potter stuff the WB has cashed in on.

Disneyland and DisneyWorld have had Star Wars related stuff for years. They have whole weekends dedicated to it

Mader45

Juniors
Disney will work on the basis that even though nobody (except fanboy tossers) will like the films, everyone will still watch them.

STAR WARS films are kids films (lets not kid ourselves).

Disney will tailor their marketing similar to the second trilogy. As in - Your grandparents saw it. You saw it. Now your kids can see it.

And once they've squeezed 4 billion profit out of dodgy movies, games, merchandise, cartoons and books with the STAR WARS logo on them... they win.

....This has nothing to do with making more good STAR WARS films old school fans have always wanted.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Star Wars has always been family friendly Mader. I cant recall Lucas ever marketing it as anything else.

No one expects a recreation of the original trilogy nor does anyone expect adult content. Good story telling will be enough

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Since the new star wars movies came out, it's merely made me realise how terrible the original ones were, destroying my childhood.

George Lucas is a terrible director / writer, but a technological visionary for the time. The acting and dialogue is pretty ordinary in the original movies, but who cares about that when you're a kid.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Since the new star wars movies came out, it's merely made me realise how terrible the original ones were, destroying my childhood.

George Lucas is a terrible director / writer, but a technological visionary for the time. The acting and dialogue is pretty ordinary in the original movies, but who cares about that when you're a kid.

The dialogue may have been ordinary in the original movies but you still developed empathy for the characters. You genuinely cared about what happened to Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia. You cheered on Wedge Antilles and Lando Calrissian. You were genuinely upset when Obi-Wan Kenobi got cut down. You could relate to them through what I considered some fairly decent character development. They had chemistry.

The prequels failed to achieve that utterly. I couldn't care less for Anakin Skywalker and his "romance" with Princess Amidala was awkward at best. Accomplished actors like Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Natalie Portman and Christopher Lee had very little to work with. Some characters you would utterly loathe such as Jar Jar Binks, the Trade Federation leaders and General Grievous (a droid general who coughs, wtf?). There was no feeling and it was far too rushed. It felt like I was watching a video game intro. The originals had heart, the prequels had none.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
An Old Republic film would be epicly awesome though

I really dont have any fears that Disney will send Star Wars down a fluffy, kiddie-esque path. They own Marvel and pretty much leave them alone to do what they do best. I think they will do the same here, they'd be mad if they didnt.

George Lucas doesn't need any assistance from Disney to take his movies down a fluffy kiddie path. He only made it 2.5 movies on his own before bastardising the Star Wars legacy in the name of merchandise.

Latest posts