What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dissapointed

legend

Coach
I think some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees and I can't recall reading where Mario said "it's only our first attempt" and blah blah blah. Would you rather have nothing? That is not to take anything away from the game. I played the game back in September and I played it again today and I love it. It doesn't take long to get the hang of the controls but my suggestion would be to read the instructions before you play the game.

The tackles are great and once you master the more technical things like a chip, then the sky is the limit. I've been throwing inside balls ad nauseum, kicking for field position and playing the game the way you play in the NRL. I think the game is extremely life like and it only takes one great move to come off and you are hooked.

Seriously, get over yourselves and stop complaining.

nibbs

Bench
c_eagle said:
Ok, Im back after two hours and uhh.. I'd like to eat my words. The game rocks, you just have to get the hang of it. At first I tried to play too conservative, I got pissed off with that so i tried to play way too "harlem globetrotterish" and now i've found a nice balance. The gameplay is really good and the speed is now alot easier to control.

I think whoever gets the game should persist with it a few hours because its a little tough at first to get used to.

:idea: bingo :idea:

budz

Juniors
I think everyone struggled after they started because we havent played a similar type of game before. Rugby games and stuff that EA put out are IMO completely different.

Razor

Coach
legend said:
The tackles are great and once you master the more technical things like a chip, then the sky is the limit. I've been throwing inside balls ad nauseum, kicking for field position and playing the game the way you play in the NRL. I think the game is extremely life like and it only takes one great move to come off and you are hooked.

I love it. I can't understand why so many people are complaining about it. There are a couple of minor bugs, yes, but all games when they are released come with minor bugs. Some, I won't mention any names, are virtually unplayable they are so bug-ridden.

Goleel

Juniors
It has its faults, but it plays such a brilliant game of league it doesn't matter. I can see non league fans and the union guys not seeing what all the fuss was about, as a game it is above average, as an experience for a league fan nothing will beat it. Give it a few hours and you will love it, if you can put aside the technical faults and enjoy the thrill of long range tries with huge offloads, brilliant passes and some amazing free flowing rugby league.

mikeyboy

Juniors
Goleel said:
It has its faults, but it plays such a brilliant game of league it doesn't matter. I can see non league fans and the union guys not seeing what all the fuss was about, as a game it is above average, as an experience for a league fan nothing will beat it. Give it a few hours and you will love it, if you can put aside the technical faults and enjoy the thrill of long range tries with huge offloads, brilliant passes and some amazing free flowing rugby league.

Why won't Union fans be so impressed? Breaking down the defence with fends, offloads, hitting the gap, timing the pass sounds like good stuff for a Union fan (haven't played the game yet)

rabs

Staff member
I am playing NRL as the Rabbitohs and I am 3-1-1 after 5 rounds in 6th spot, what more could a league fan want! I agree with Gol, to the knowledgable league person this game rocks.

mikeyboy

Juniors
rabbitboy said:
I am playing NRL as the Rabbitohs and I am 3-1-1 after 5 rounds in 6th spot, what more could a league fan want! I agree with Gol, to the knowledgable league person this game rocks.

Again, why only for the knowledgable elague person?

rabs

Staff member
mikeyboy said:
rabbitboy said:

Again, why only for the knowledgable elague person?

In the game of league it's doing the little things that make for a good game plan. Getting a good kick away, playing out your sets, keeping the error rate down, knowing when to keep it tight and when to chance your arm. This game caters to this style of play if you want to succeed, I am sure especially on the harder levels, which I haven't progressed to yet.

Erhan

Juniors
It becomes very much a field position game as the difficulty increases. Especially when defending, you want the computer to be as far away as possible from your try line as it is very hard to keep them out, same deal with scrums. Also, long range tries become alot harder to pull off so the error rates must be kept to a minimum. I had trouble with the Seasoned mode because I just kept throwing it around willy nilly and making too many errors as a result. A controlled game with little mistakes and good defense gets me through 75% of the games.

NZtiger

Juniors
broncos4eva said:
OK, i think what needs to be done here is things need to be put into perspective. Firstly, its not bloody bad for a first up effort hey?.I think we all need to relaise that it would never or could never be perfect on its first attempt. It shits all over Rugby and AFL and it shows that hopefully the second attempt (hopefully depending on sales) will rock like nothing on this earth!!

Games like AFL 2004 & Rugby 2004 have had a game or 2 before them come out with the same producer etc and look how crap they all turned out???? I mean, Rugby League and Rugby 2004 are NOT comparable. Rugby League beats it in ALL areas. SIDHE had to start from the bttom up on this game with no previous structure or models to model it on. WELL DONE SIDHE & HES, SUPERB EFFORT GUYS.

I TOTALLY SECOND THAT MOTION!!! WELL SAID BRONCS!!!!

AND CONGRATS SIDHE & HES...LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT VERSION!!!

JoeD

First Grade
I'd like to say that although I have only played a couple of games I think the game is awesome. . Yes there are a few minor bugs but nothing too drastic. Well done Mario and the Sidhe team =D> =D>

-JJ-

Juniors
broncos4eva said:
Games like AFL 2004 & Rugby 2004 have had a game or 2 before them come out with the same producer etc and look how crap they all turned out???? I mean, Rugby League and Rugby 2004 are NOT comparable. Rugby League beats it in ALL areas. SIDHE had to start from the bttom up on this game with no previous structure or models to model it on. WELL DONE SIDHE & HES, SUPERB EFFORT GUYS.

I don't think that's true. Rugby 2004 at least had a franchise. It also bet it in quantity (I bet someone will say it's quality, not quantity that matters, I know but still) of teams and stadia.

Rugby League is a better game for sure, but Rugby 2004 still has some things over it.

PKer-

Juniors
Rugby 2004 was good for the first 2-3 days, then got very very boring.

The NRL game is awsome.

And if they do make another NRL depending on sales..Then we have nother to worry about becuase NRL is 100% sold out of AUS and NZ.

Thats more money then they ever thought off.

Were rugby 2004 still hasnt sold out at any EB stores, but got shiped world wide.

ripper

budz said:
ripper73 said:
Can't blame him - the way all you leaguies were hyping it all up, everyone expected to be up to Madden Quality.
We all reckoned it was awesome because compared to the sh*t union and NFL games this is awesome!!

umm no, play Madden 2004, and get back to me and apolgiese. Madden 2004 kicks this in every way - lifespan, longetivity, defintaly in graphics, controls, gameplay e.tc

Priddo

Juniors
i love it now....the first game i thought it was alright...then second one i thought pretty good then after a few more i loved it...jut get into it and once u start to get good at eg learnigng to pass from dummy half properly like i usaully do now...u'll love it. u can make about 7 - 12 metres with hit ups once u get good like rugby league in real life.

trust me give it another 5 games and u'll love it.

it doesn't resemble the demo much at all either...theruniing is fixed the marks tackling u almost everytime is fixed. the scrums are fixed.. the kicking is pretty damn good. its an awesome game no matter what you say its awesome for a first attempt and even if the second attempt was that i'd probly be happy with it...but u have to remember they made it too be fun for not justhardcore nrl and esl fans you know.

sydraider

First Grade
YES MADDEN 2004 MAY VERY WELL BE SUPERIOR BUT HEY THATS AFTER HOW MANY VERSIONS OF THE GAME? I HAVE FIFA 2004, I DO ENJOY IT AND LOVE THE CAREER MODE, YET I THINK THE GAMEPLAY ITSELF COULD BE MUCH BETTER, THINK BACK TO THE EARLY VERSIONS OF BOTH AND TELL ME IF YOU THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPERIOR AT THE TIME, THEN LOOK AT WHERE EA SPORTS HAS TAKEN THEM OVER THE YEARS.
THIS LEAGUE GAME IS GREAT,WILL ONLY GET BETTER VERSION AFTER VERSION. WOULD YOU ALL RATHER PLUG BACK IN YOUR AMIGA OR SEGA AND GO BACK DOWN THAT ROAD, I FOR ONE DEFINITELY NOT.
WELL DONE HES YOU HAVE DONE WELL AND HAVE NOW PROVIDED A PLATFORM FOR A FRNACHISE TO GROW AND GET BETTER VERSION AFTER VERSION.

ak47

Juniors
this is the 2nd best rugby/league game ever

only JLR pips this and only in gameplay.
NRL is better in sound, graphics and size.

It is in the top 10 of all time sports games.
And it came from a team of no-ones on a debut project, with limited funds and a limited market being NRL.

10/10 for sidhe
9/10 for the game

you would have to say only, Madden, Pro Evo and Tiger Woods are the only better current sports game available.
and considering this is the sport we love most, imagine what would happen if Sidhe were provided research and funds to the size of madden, pro evo and other blue chip games - the unemployment rate of aus/nz and uk would go up 5% atleast

laurie

Juniors
The GAME ROCKS !! been waiting for a long time and i rell you what has been well worth it ! thanks to HES and sidhe ! cant wait for the next version after Canberra wins in 2004

Latest posts