What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do any players get better after leaving Storm?

Perce

Juniors
Hoffman has improved - in three games after a stellar Storm career? :shock:
Tolman has just matured, as he was always going to.
Can't agree about Lima.
Jeremy Smith - yes.
Dallas Johnson just maintained his same level of outstanding consistency.
Inglis - doh. Forgot about him. :eek: Although whether growing from a young superstar into a mature superstar disproves my argument, I'm not sure.

gUt

Coach
Israel Folau went backwards at an alarming rate, so far did he regress that he can now only get a gig in AFL or Union.

Canard

Immortal
That's not him getting better, that's a lack of quality options at hooker for the Cowboys, it's a position they have struggled with since Payne left.

Agree with this.

Hoffman has improved - in three games after a stellar Storm career? :shock:
Tolman has just matured, as he was always going to.
Can't agree about Lima.
Jeremy Smith - yes.
Dallas Johnson just maintained his same level of outstanding consistency.
Inglis - doh. Forgot about him. :eek: Although whether growing from a young superstar into a mature superstar disproves my argument, I'm not sure.

Id argue that Dallas Johnson was nowhere near as good, but that could have just been age and accumulation of punishment that he undertook.

Didnt Inglis struggle at souths initially?

For sure, but he was on the Carl Webb diet.

Anyone remember Antonio Kaufusi? Played Origin at the Storm. Signed a big money contract with the Cowboys. Became beyond Shitful. And has bounced around since.

betcats

Referee
Yeah no doubt Inglis has improved since the storm but if a player of his calibre can struggle no wonder some of these plodders do.

Noa

First Grade
Widdop is no better or worse then when he was at the Storm. He was just overrated by most.

Since he was at Nyc level his general kicking has been average average, he missed to many tackles and is not an organiser.

His best spot is Fb.

betcats

Referee
Widdop is no better or worse then when he was at the Storm. He was just overrated by most.

Since he was at Nyc level his general kicking has been average average, he missed to many tackles and is not an organiser.

His best spot is Fb.

At this time last year I can remember thinking why didnt Penrith sign this kid instead of Soward, and Soward had started the season pretty well. There is no way I would swap them now but he was looking like a world beater to start atleast.

Canard

Immortal
I reckon Widdop is a gun, he is just playing in a very shit team.

With due respect to Soward, Widdop would have looked very good in that Penrith team last year.

I'd take him at the Cowboys in heartbeat.

betcats

Referee
I reckon Widdop is a gun, he is just playing in a very shit team.

With due respect to Soward, Widdop would have looked very good in that Penrith team last year.

I'd take him at the Cowboys in heartbeat.

Sowards kicking game alone makes him more valuable. Sowards a better ball player also and has been a real leader here. Widdop would of looked good with us I agree but I dont think we finish top four with him or make the prelims. Soward controls the game for his team as good as any half imo, actually I dont know what Widdop actually does better then Soward, defense maybe.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Would anybody include Brett White? He made state of origins team in Melbourne, but never received a spot after he moved to Canberra.

Brett Kimmorly wasn't as effective as he was at Manly then he was at Melbourne. But because he played for Daniel Anderson, maybe he doesn't count. I don't think he ever got to that brilliant form again when he was at the Sharks either.

Greg Inglis weight and injury were factors in his form but everybody had forgotten how good Inglis was at fullback for the Storm when he filled in for Slater. Once McGuire moved him back there, the rest is history.

Canard

Immortal
Sowards kicking game alone makes him more valuable. Sowards a better ball player also and has been a real leader here. Widdop would of looked good with us I agree but I dont think we finish top four with him or make the prelims. Soward controls the game for his team as good as any half imo, actually I dont know what Widdop actually does better then Soward, defense maybe.

I actually rate Widdop's ballplaying skills, Im happy to concede to you on every point though.

A lot of what you mentioned is maturity. And being that Widdop is 26 I reckon he has a lot more upside than Sowie who is closer to the end of his career than the start.

betcats

Referee
I actually rate Widdop's ballplaying skills, Im happy to concede to you on every point though.

A lot of what you mentioned is maturity. And being that Widdop is 26 I reckon he has a lot more upside than Sowie who is closer to the end of his career than the start.

Yeah definitely, Sowards experience is a big part of why I wouldnt swap them. Soward is in a much better place in his career to lead a young team than Widdop, his composure in the big moments and his leadership is years ahead of Widdop.

I used to think Widdop had a lot more upside than Sowie now while I think he can surpass Soward as a player im not sure it will happen, in fact I think its unlikely. Soward is 29 i think so its not a huge age gap by any means.

Watch Widdop closeley for a few weeks he is a skilled player but he is just to damn passive, rarely do I see him ordering his troops around with any vigour or anything like that. He sticks to the structure far too much as well. Benji makes errors and is pretty crap since coming back but atleast he goes out there and tries to make somehting happen, gets his hands on the ball and brings energy. Widdop compared to Benji just looks lifeless at times. Its like he is too used to taking a back seat from his Storm days.

Perce

Juniors
Would anybody include Brett White? He made state of origins team in Melbourne, but never received a spot after he moved to Canberra.

Brett Kimmorly wasn't as effective as he was at Manly then he was at Melbourne. But because he played for Daniel Anderson, maybe he doesn't count. I don't think he ever got to that brilliant form again when he was at the Sharks either.

Greg Inglis weight and injury were factors in his form but everybody had forgotten how good Inglis was at fullback for the Storm when he filled in for Slater. Once McGuire moved him back there, the rest is history.

White certainly didn't get better at Canberra. Personally I think Noddy was at his best with Melbourne. I don't think Matt King got any better when he left Storm; likewise Beau Champion. I guess I was thinking of blokes who leave for overs like Maurice Blair, Nielsen, O'Neill, Waqa, Adam Blair. You could put in Siosaia Vave or even Mitch Garbutt I suppose. Bellamy just seems to have that ability to make certain players (not all - Gorgeous George comes to mind) play at the peak of their ability.

soc123_au

Staff member
At this time last year I can remember thinking why didnt Penrith sign this kid instead of Soward, and Soward had started the season pretty well. There is no way I would swap them now but he was looking like a world beater to start atleast.

That's funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing at the time. I also now wouldn't swap Soward for Widdop, or anyone else for that matter. He fits the mould of what we need. I always rated him at the Dragons, but I think you have to have him in your side to truly appreciate him.

Widdop along with Soward, now that could be interesting.

soc123_au

Staff member
Another question - does Bellamy get the respect he deserves at League Unlimited?

Not by a long shot. Having the Big 3, salary cap scandal etc provide to much ammo for the haters. The amount of nuffies that have been made to look world class under his coaching is no fluke. Who knows, if Cam Smith spent his career under Matt Elliott he could have been a hairy Josh McCrone.