What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do any players get better after leaving Storm?

Canard

Immortal
Bellyache doesn't get the respect from renowned league experts like BunniesMan but Im sure he sleeps OK at night.

betcats

Referee
I dont respect him. I think its Smith getting the best out of a lot of those forwards. Maybe he played a big role in the big 3s development or maybe he just got lucky.

Also he pioneered a style of footy I really dont like, slow wrestling rucks and super structured footy, boring to watch though it was effective at the time. Most of the things Bellamy achieved seem to come off the back of pushing the rules or flat out cheating.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Inglis is not playing at a higher level then when he was at the Storm.

Inglis was already one of the greats while he was at the storm. But at the same time he was just apart of a good system at melbourne. His first year at souths was like his year at storm, the only difference was souths were still a poor team at the time. When Mcguire took and shifted him back to fullback he pretty much built the team around inglis and it took inglis and the team to a whole new level. Melbourne won a premiership without inglis in 2012, there's no way rabbitohs win ours In 2014 without him

Hutty1986

Immortal
No doubt Widdop can play, just not so sure he's been consistently earning the massive coin he gets at Saints. Sisa Waqa will prove to be a great buy for Canberra, terrific player.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yeah definitely, Sowards experience is a big part of why I wouldnt swap them. Soward is in a much better place in his career to lead a young team than Widdop, his composure in the big moments and his leadership is years ahead of Widdop.

I used to think Widdop had a lot more upside than Sowie now while I think he can surpass Soward as a player im not sure it will happen, in fact I think its unlikely. Soward is 29 i think so its not a huge age gap by any means.

Watch Widdop closeley for a few weeks he is a skilled player but he is just to damn passive, rarely do I see him ordering his troops around with any vigour or anything like that. He sticks to the structure far too much as well. Benji makes errors and is pretty crap since coming back but atleast he goes out there and tries to make somehting happen, gets his hands on the ball and brings energy. Widdop compared to Benji just looks lifeless at times. Its like he is too used to taking a back seat from his Storm days.

Benji was ordinary when he first came back but apart from the odd brain shart he has been pretty good and has outperformed Widdop for a little while now.

betcats

Referee
No doubt Widdop can play, just not so sure he's been consistently earning the massive coin he gets at Saints. Sisa Waqa will prove to be a great buy for Canberra, terrific player.

He has the ability but you can tell he spent years in a system where he was the third or fourth option in attack. Agree about Sisa he already has been brilliant.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Hoffman has improved - in three games after a stellar Storm career? :shock:
Tolman has just matured, as he was always going to.
Can't agree about Lima.
Jeremy Smith - yes.
Dallas Johnson just maintained his same level of outstanding consistency.
Inglis - doh. Forgot about him. :eek: Although whether growing from a young superstar into a mature superstar disproves my argument, I'm not sure.

TBH I'm not sure what your argument is. It seems to be muddled.

The well worn argument is that players turn to shit when they leave the Melbourne systems. There's a long list of players who have either improved or maintained their level of play which disproves this theory completely.

If we stick to the wording of they had to get better then you basically said Tolman doesn't count because he was always going to mature anyway.

So what's the criteria?

1) Young players leave every club and improve based on maturity

2) Established first graders leave every club, some maintain and some don't.

I don't see this as a Storm thing, it's an NRL, every club, day to day thing.

Weiry

Juniors
Antonio Kaufusi, Sam Tagataese and Beau Champion maybe could be added to that only clicked at Melbourne list?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Anyone remember Antonio Kaufusi? Played Origin at the Storm. Signed a big money contract with the Cowboys. Became beyond Shitful. And has bounced around since.

There is a reason why he was known as AK47 in the Knights forum during his tenure in Newcastle

Absolute plod machine for such a big, athletic looking fella

Noname36

First Grade
Is this issue just contained to the Storm? Obviously they probably have more examples but in general I find more often than not players decline after changing clubs. The good ones are able to adapt to the new environment/style and still play at a high level (Inglis) but a lot go backwards...to the point where they often have to change again then end up disappearing completely.

The exceptions in this case are usually your top level superstar player, much older established players who have played at every level or young kids only just breaking into first grade.

LESStar58

Referee
Tolman was ALWAYS going to end up excelling. Having said that though I am so glad Melbourne have retained Bromwich and McLean over Tolman!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Inglis was wasted as the 4th most important player limited to 1 corridor. He left and has become the leader of a premiership winning team and the best fullback in the game, ahead of Slater for over 2 years.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Inglis was wasted as the 4th most important player limited to 1 corridor. He left and has become the leader of a premiership winning team and the best fullback in the game, ahead of Slater for over 2 years.

so why is slater in the no.1 jersey for origin?