What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do souths look ok for 05'?

There is a rumour that Steve Turner from Melbourne Storm could be on his way to Souths next year.

Turner is finding it tough to get a chance at fullback in first grade because of Billy Slater

Also Shane Richardson would have known him from when Turner was playing with the Panthers

He would be a good option at fullback

Also we have Todd Polglase (ex Bulldogs) coming back from injury (suffered season ending injury in round 1 against Roosters)

He played fullback against the Roosters.

Kris_man

Bench
turner would be a fantastic buy. but being a raiders supporter, i've learnt that you can't get excited abuot rumours. i got excited about brent kite, amos roberts, carl webb, david kidwell, brett firman - then i just gave up.

Mambo

Juniors
The Turner one should come true. We recently had Turner's Grandfather call 2UE and talk to Brandy Alexander and make the comment that Turner could be a rabbitoh next season. His 'hint' to brandy was "my grandson will be the next clive churchill" He sounded very cheeky when he said it, like he was giving people a little snippet that he really shouldn't be saying to anyone.

1-Turner
2-L.MacDougall
3-A.MacDougall
4-Hegarty
5-Marteene
6-Sutton
7-Williams (g/k)
8-Cusack
9-Minichiello
10-Geddes
11-Fletcher
12-Stuart
13-Harrison (c)

14-Hall
15-Manu
16-Logan
17-Young

It should look a lot like that. Probably no Hookey, Definately No Craigie, and definately No Walker.

Why is Shane Walker not in some of these sides? He has been one of the best attacking options for Souths all season.

Poglase showed potential at fullback and Doogs needs to be in the centres.

But I have no doubt that Souths have a good 17 man side, they did at the start of this year, more importantly is who will come in when there are some injuries.

Name a side without half of those players and see what it looks like and then it's a more true indication.

Mambo

Juniors
An injury here or there we can handle, 6-8 long term injuries at once is what killed us in 2004. When those players came back the momentum was gone.

Shane Walker will be at the Wests Tigers in 2005.

axl rose

Bench
Mambo said:

:roll: No he wont. Tim Sheens was talking to his manager about another player on his books and the media assumed he was after Walker.

rabs

Staff member
Admittedly I have only been to Souths last two games against Manly and Brisbane but from what I see they need defense coaching something bad
The potential lineup for next year already looks good barring injury and there may be more signings to come
Shaun McCrae is where the hopes rest, he has to get them fit and smart and working as a unit in defense, they are all ove the place and what really disgusts me is seeing players turning their backs on the opposition to get back the ten metres

Mambo

Juniors
axl rose said:
Mambo said:

:roll: No he wont. Tim Sheens was talking to his manager about another player on his books and the media assumed he was after Walker.

Well the Souths coaching staff have been told otherwise.

So we shall see, shant we.

Mambo

Juniors
rabbitboy said:
Admittedly I have only been to Souths last two games against Manly and Brisbane but from what I see they need defense coaching something bad
The potential lineup for next year already looks good barring injury and there may be more signings to come
Shaun McCrae is where the hopes rest, he has to get them fit and smart and working as a unit in defense, they are all ove the place and what really disgusts me is seeing players turning their backs on the opposition to get back the ten metres

Solution

Two words.

David Boyle

Raider_69

Post Whore
Turner is all class, should be playing fullback at the storm and slater back into the centres IMHO

rabs

Staff member
Mambo said:
rabbitboy said:

Solution

Two words.

David Boyle

yeah it was good to see his appointment

Souths do this EVERY year.

One good performance nearing the end of the season. Enough to get their fans hopes up.

An off season with talk of a "New Era". Some B-Grade celebrity comes out and challenges the board......

They have a script I reckon! :lol:

Souths improve every year. But they don't improve at the same level as other clubs. When Souths first came back in Penrith, Wests and Cowboys were all near the bottom. Now they can all most likely make the 8. The Warriors and manly will be a lot better next season. Although yesterday's result could really be a haunting one for the Eagles.

hadey

Juniors
You can bet your boots Souths have a script!!!!

The BIG difference is that the script this year is written by producer and director Shane Richardson.

The star is Shaun McRae who appears to be able to bring out the best in the teams he has coached.

The rest of the cast are the players and support staff who are going to have to work hard in the off season.

The extras are the loyal fans who have supported Souths through the bad times.

2005 is going to be like a rollercoaster ride for Souths but they will have more up and less down times. I am going to fasten my seatbelt and go along for the ride as i know with this team Souths are finally on the way back.

Tigerpete

Juniors
I think Souths will imrpove significantly next season, under the guidance of Richardson and McRae. I dont think they'll contend for the top 8 though, that will be more realistic for 2006 i believe. Next season should see them compete more consistantly.

This season it was said souths would challenge for the 8, as i thought that was a forlorn hope before the season even started and to see them sitting where they are now is no surprise. Still proven to be whipping boys sadly,

Nest season though, the addition of Hegarty( very interested to see how he fares in a struggling side as opposed to the roosters), and the hardworking Cusak and Logan should add some consistant starch. For me , these 3 arent gonna change much for the Bunnies. I think its gotta come from guys like MCDougall and Harrison. If those two fire the bunnies will improve.

I'd say at this stage the bunnies should expect to finish in fairly similar position to this season. lets be honest, Manly have improved as much as souths while Parra wont sit so low and the Warriors well Wiki and Price will bring a lot more to their side.

At the end of the day what will happen is the competition will become tighter than this season currently is which is great.

I think Souths will progress at the expense of the Warriors & Manly next year so long as they off load some of the "deadwood" i.e. Owen Craigie, Brad Watts, Lee Hookey & Shane Walker.

I hope players like Bell & Sutton can improve on what they have produced so far this season. It's these players that Souths need to lift. They have enough senior players.

I hope Roy Bell can prove some of his critics wrong as did Preston Campbel has last year.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah , Bell's got the confidence about him but i fear for his safety unless he builds up in the offseason because he wont be able to handle it week in and out.

Tigerpete said:
Yeah , Bell's got the confidence about him but i fear for his safety unless he builds up in the offseason because he wont be able to handle it week in and out.

When Carl Webb was running at him on Saturday night I felt for his safety I'll give ya the tip. But he showed some ticker to have a go at bringing Webb down.

astrogirl

First Grade
I think Souths are looking great for 2005.

Just looking at the names of players that Souths have to choose from gives me the impression that they will have a lot more depth and experience than they did this year.

I have to mention Harrison was fantastic for them on the weekend.