What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we need Thurston?

Mickyd39

Juniors
Over the last few days there has been a lot of talk about signing thurston in 2011.

IMO i don't think we need him.

When i got home from the Parra victory against the dogs i watched the cowboys v panthers and paid attention to Thurston.

Thurston's defence is suspect and he looked disinterested apart from a few efforts.

i don't think we should chase him, also he has bad shoulders . they may be in bad shape in 2 years time.

The money that we want to pay for him could be used to secure players such as KK and Morts. these 2 guys with Hayne are the future of the eels.

Forget him and focus on resigning Hayne, KK and Morts.

junior009

Juniors
I'm not convinced with Keating yet tbh. I was absolutely sold mid last year on Mortimer though.

he is a good player but for his asking price we could keep 2-3 of our current players its a hell of a lot of coin to have sitting on the sideline if he's injured

p.s.he will probably want to be captain i'd assume caylo would be gone by then it's the only way we could afford him but what about hindy, he's bled blue and gold for years just to get pushed aside as soon as a new starter wants the top job?

Bazal

Post Whore
No way...KK and Morts may not be proven, but they have potential and cost a hell of a lot less than that QLD spanner

Look at present I'd have Robson over Thurston.
Robson has been great the past 6 weeks and has a combo going with Morts in saying that a fit KK would most likely push Robson out.

SCoops

Juniors
no!

KK and Morts are the future.

I was thinking this the other night when I saw PO on the news stating that we will be chasing JT, Why? I feel that he will be past it soon. The Cowboys would fight him again, wouldn't they?

I just don't think that he is the player we need for the future of the club.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Cheers
Coops

Fee

Juniors
I dont want him nor do I think we need him, D.Morts and K.K are the future halves pairing, and plus Thurston is a grub!!!!!!!

Avenger

Immortal
I was thinking this the other night when I saw PO on the news stating that we will be chasing JT, Why? I feel that he will be past it soon. The Cowboys would fight him again, wouldn't they?

I just don't think that he is the player we need for the future of the club.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Cheers
Coops

Once we re-sign, Hayne, Mortimer, K Keating, Inu, Grothe and Mateo should we even think about signing a player like Thurston.

caylo

Bench
No way...KK and Morts may not be proven, but they have potential and cost a hell of a lot less than that QLD spanner

for 700 K we could very easily sign KK, Morts and Mateo plus have a little left (150K for KK and Mortz and 300K for Mateo).

I said this before and ill say it again, Thurston will demand alot more ball then KK and Mortz together (a bit like Kimmorley). We have Hayne, Mateo plus KK and Mortz while Thurston is just used to playing with Bowan.

In 2008 Mateo made 20 Line brak assits and 17 TA in 22 games compared to JT 13LB and 13 TA in 17 games. All we need is Mortz and Kk to do take care of the kicking game and Mateo and Hayne along with KK and Mortz can share the load of putting points on the board with guys like Tahu and Inu outwide. I dont expect KK or Mortz to lead in the try assist next year but they will be an important ingrediant in how our team plays and allow Mateo and Hayne to attack freely as they see fit.

We have 2 of the tope 5 players in the comp IMO (Mateo and Hayne) and Thurston will mean that we will loss alot of players. Remember a Champion team will always beat a team of champion and we are building a champion team.

caylo

Bench
Once we re-sign, Hayne, Mortimer, K Keating, Inu, Grothe and Mateo should we even think about signing a player like Thurston.

if we re-sign those players we wouldnt be able to afford Thurston... prefer to spend what we have left to sign some backup forwards.

SCoops

Juniors

Nope not at all. There will be no room for him.

Plus the HUGH fee JT will command. Will be a total waste IMO.

Let grow these kids into the best players they can be.

Rather than all of us here in 3 years time, when JT retires, complaining how good Morts, KK, et al, are playing and wishing they were still at the club. :shock:

Not like we have seen that before :sarcasm:

Coops

Parra Steve

Juniors
How hard is it going to be to try and fit Mateo and Keating into the team when fit for the rest of this year.

I hope he stays and tanks with whatever team he is playing with, just to vindicate our decision to tell him to shove his $700k up his arse.

Last edited:
To start with, I'd be playing them both off the bench.

Kingston Town can start, KK to the bench and MK can go play for Wenty.

Mateo off the bench as well. Who for is another question...

Latest posts