What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you know what really burns me?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
strider said:
I agree with pete - he needs to agro up a bit - sure he can carry a few guys with him and make some yards and offload in PL - he's always running very wide .... NRL is a big step up, he'll need to be able to get belted by far bigger uglier mugs than he comes up against out wide in PL .... I'm not saying he can't do it, just that he's gonna have to to make a go of it

He has aggression, just look at his leg drive, thats a form of aggression, geez..he's role doesn't require the role of meat head, Widders, Morrision, Robinson are hardly what you call aggressive players, people look at Mateos size and believe he should play like an O' Meley?....that's is not his role.

I've seen players not even dominate at First Division yet done it in first grade, Feleti showed on Sunday that he'll be star next year, i'll bet my right testicle on that.

strider

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
He has aggression, just look at his leg drive, thats a form of aggression, geez..he's role doesn't require the role of meat head, Widders, Morrision, Robinson are hardly what you call aggressive players, people look at Mateos size and believe he should play like an O' Meley?....that's is not his role.

I've seen players not even dominate at First Division yet done it in first grade, Feleti showed on Sunday that he'll be star next year, i'll bet my right testicle on that.

ok - someone write this down just so we have a record of it - just incase :lol:

he just seems a little timid to me - but that might be his age .... i don't want/expect him to be a big bopper like fui - i just think if you are gonna be a ball player, opposition players are gonna target you and he'll need to be tough to handle it .... people liken him to dymock, well jimmy was a prime example of being skillful and tough - I don't expect him to be jimmy in the toughness stakes, but he'll be targeted

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:

right testy hey ron,but i think you'll be safe he looked the goods on sunday and he's just the sort of player we need in our side. by the way i agree 100% with your first post. it seems to me smithy was allergic to talented of the cuff players eg jason smith and dymock who i dont think he got the best out of.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
Mate that's the best post i have ever read on this forum. You hit it mate. Tonga had some Flaws in his game every player has. But Brian Smiths techincal ways got in the way.

Feleti should have stayed in First Grade once he debuted.

f**king oath!

parra pete

Referee
strider said:
I agree with pete - he needs to agro up a bit - sure he can carry a few guys with him and make some yards and offload in PL - he's always running very wide .... NRL is a big step up, he'll need to be able to get belted by far bigger uglier mugs than he comes up against out wide in PL .... I'm not saying he can't do it, just that he's gonna have to to make a go of it

Correct.. Unless he can lift a notch (a big notch) in aggression he is destined to be a player who dominates the PL..and goes no further...another Henry Perenara for example...
NRL is no place for one dimensional players... He will be isolated and targetted in defence by the tough guys.
BTW....That's how it works in the NRL if you haven't noticed...
The tough get going when it gets tough. The others fall by the wayside.....
I'm feeling that if Feliti couldn't crack it in the ESL, he will struggle in the NRL..that's a fact of life.

caylo

Bench
parra pete said:
I'm feeling that if Feliti couldn't crack it in the ESL, he will struggle in the NRL..that's a fact of life.

i have to agree that when the going gets tough the tough get going, but can't you believe that players attitude can change. Look at Guru Jnr, we fell into a hole 3-4 years ago, now is the best winger in the game. Mateo went to ESL, started off badly but realy did work into some good form, recived experiance. His travels also probably taught him alot. I think he definatly looks like the sort of player that lifts when the team looks down. Next year i could see him as coming off the bench in the widders mould, but in 2008 id say he could make an 80min backrower, or at worst 60min, but inject himself well. What makes me believe this, is when the PL team was struggling to go forward, he took the ball up and made 15 meters. That shows commitment, i think he has grown in stature ever since coming back from ESL. Taia is another one i believe will come through good, played realy well in the GF.

bartman

Immortal
Fair dinkum, are you related to him Ron? :lol:

Wasn't the guy's attitude so poor at one stage that he had to shipped over to England to try and bring himself out of a rut? Even after he returned I got to see him in three PL games mid-year and following all the hype I found his performances mid-year to be ordinary.

He may have talent, but unless he himself can resolve to bring that out on a consistent basis - like he has been doing, credit to him - then he can hardly be considered star material. A star is someone that bounces back from any obstacles in his way, not someone that needs it all handed to them to shine.
The game is littered with young guys who have massive potential, but for some reason never realise it. Sometimes they come back to bite us and sometimes they don't - it's not always the coaching staff of the time's fault...

Recent performances aside, I can see why earlier in the year the club may have questioned re-signing him. Lucky for him (and maybe us as fans) that Hages saw that talent and wants to give it one more go. It remains to be seen whether Mateo can actually handle the pace and level of NRL first grade, in the way that Tsoulos and Vella have proved before. I hope he can, and it's a risk that if it is going to be tried should be tried early in the season when we can afford it, and on the back of Mateo's new found confidence.

But this cult of Mateo is in the same league of the cult of say Burt, which if I remember correctly you're always very quick to criticise? Perhaps you will burn less once you learn that your favourite player or star of the future should not be immune to criticism or alternate views, and learn to respect others rights to have similar opinions about their favourite player or star?

Purple Eel

Juniors
I think Mateo had a better than average game on Sunday but I don't agree with others who reckon it was a super display. When he got involved he was almost unstoppable but he seemed to rest on his laurels somewhat once he made his run. On the other hand Parramatta's never been renouned for big aggressive forwards with a bit of mongrel in them. Even Ray Price in his heyday (who was renouned for his toughness) was bashed up by Rocket Reddy in that famous Grand Final. Maybe things will change once Hagan gets control of the team. Afterall he did play with the Bulldogs and we all know how much mongrel they have!

Eelementary

Post Whore
And another issue to ponder - Mateo will be playing alongside Nathan Hindmarsh, and in the forwards with inspirational skipper and Kiwi International Nathan Cayless, as well as everyone's favourite arse-kicking machine Fuifui Moimoi. I'm sure they'd take care of him.

Purple Eel

Juniors
He's a prediction: Mateo will make first grade next year and will be an absolute sensation. He will be everyone's pin up boy and the media will go ga ga over him and hail him as the 2007 rookie of the year which of course he wins with ease. Trouble is come 2008 will he be able to beat the curse and maintain the form or will he fall by the wayside like so many rookies (especially Parramatta ones) have done before him?

see its easy to have one or two good years but a real champion can maintain his form for an extended period. Somehow I don't think Mateo's got it in him. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do but lets not build him up too much before we get a chance to see how he performs in the NRL - if he's at all selected that is.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
parra pete said:
Correct.. Unless he can lift a notch (a big notch) in aggression he is destined to be a player who dominates the PL..and goes no further...another Henry Perenara for example...
NRL is no place for one dimensional players... He will be isolated and targetted in defence by the tough guys.
BTW....That's how it works in the NRL if you haven't noticed...

:roll: Funny how he was a standout by a country mile yet he played average compared to some of his other games...gotta love the minority.

Ummm, how many games have you seen him play?, what do you class as an one dimensional player?, because sorry imo they are players who other one characteristic and that's about it, Feleti offers size, speed, incredible off loading abilities, strength and many other facets.

If e is only lacking aggresson then we haven't got much to worry about really, i was more focused on the other factors that most League players dream about possesing, but the almighty aggression that makes players like Chad Robinson, Dean Widders, Vella etc

Stu Galbraith, Robert Muchmore, Michael Erickson all had aggression aswell, unfortunately they didn't posses a 10th of what this young bloke has.

Where you coaching Parra for the last 10 years?, because read my thread post, and this is exactly what i've been talking about.

That Perenara eg is a classic, i don't know how you can compare both of these players games as they are completey different altogether:lol: . For starters he plays predominately a 5/8 role, the other in the forwards.

Funny how you mentioned Super league, he had only played one game for us,19,and his stint was brief. From all reports he didn't do to bad.

Pete,i believe you should go to Parramatta games more often tbh.

parra pete

Referee
Unless he toughens up he'll be cannon fodder...Sorry, that's a fact of life and probably why he hasn't been seen in first grade in the past couple of seasons. There is a huuuuuuge G A P.... between PL and NRL.
Remember the immortal words of Johnny Cash in "A Boy named Sue"..... "Son,This world is rough, and if a man is gonna make it he's gotta be tough"..
Feliti can play, I'm not saying he can't. He needs to be tougher that's all..
Plenty of kids have size and ball skills. Unless they are tough enough for NRL they WILL be targetted by opposition and won't last.

yy_cheng

Coach
Aggression is good. It makes players like Kidwell better players.

However, besides aggression, confidence and super-competitiveness can also make a difference. Hayne and Judas are two players who would back their talent against anyone.

A few years back, Judas wanted to outplay every opposition centre that he faced. He beat them in attack and he hounded them down in defense, not giving them an inch. He even opted to switched sides to play against other centres who he normally didn't face. He outplayed them all such as Gasnier and Tate.

Jarryd, this year did the same. He went all out to outplay the other centres. Most noticeably against the BIG NAME UP AND COMERS like K Hunt. He even outstepped Hunt more than once with Hunt's signature step.

If Mateo backs his ability and not second guess whether his own skills are good enough, he should make it even without aggression. He really needs to have faith in his abilities.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, Moimoi without aggression is just like Robinson...So the aggression argument sticks with me.

Take Marsh as another example - a tiny little bastard. But he hits harder than Mick Vella, who's way bigger. Now, I love the Mighty V. But the fact is, for all his size, he can't hit half as hard as PJ. Or at least, he doesn't seem to...

Latest posts