What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you support the Raiders signing Lance Thompson?

thickos

First Grade
From what I can see guys:

PROS:

* > 200 game veteran of the NRL, can't buy experience like that
* Very high workrate; consistent performer
* Doesn't seem to have bad injury troubles
* Good replacement for Adamson
* Reasonable try-scoring rate for a forward
* Still relatively young

CONS:

* The St George dismissal saga
* Bad influence on junior players?
* Cap space?
* Taking up space for a promising young forward coming through

Thoughts???

aussies1st

Staff member
I feel its a good move. Its best we don't send one of our youngsters into the deep end with the first game of the season. Guys like LL would be better suited coming off the bench early on in the season so they can get a feel of the NRL.

Boing Boing

Juniors
This is a bad idea. I have thought for a while that he's a prick. I really don't think it's a good idea and that this time and money should be spent on our younger forwards.

Macko8

Juniors
Boing Boing said:
This is a bad idea. I have thought for a while that he's a prick. I really don't think it's a good idea and that this time and money should be spent on our younger forwards.

exactly.
I dont support it one bit. We already have enough forwards to start the year without bringing thompson here. Just hope elliot the goose gives our young forwards a good chance in the top grade. eg lahrs and jones.
but if thompson goes as well as adamson did this year...everyone is cheering.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Boing Boing said:

that and as a player he is massively over-rated
i dont at all rate him, i think he is junk and has been for the best part of the last 2 years

jed

First Grade
Boing Boing said:
To me it depends on our goals for 2006.

If we want to be somewhat competitive straight away, buying him wouldn't be a bad move. However, if we're looking to show faith in our youngsters, we may not be a top 4 team straight away, but the experience we gain (especially if we can hold onto the kids for 2007) will be invaluable.

dubby

Bench
I agree Jed. He's no superstar, but he is proven. i think he had a very powerful enemy at the Dragons, that's why he appears to be such an idiot i think. its likely this "enemy" was out to destory Lances career.
Our forward pack is young, strong, aggresive and has massive potential. I hope Lance inspires these young bucks like Adamson did. I applaud signing him, as i don't buy too much into what the media says. If you were Lance and were just shafted by the one club you played 200 games for, wouldn't that spur you on to prove that you still have it? That punting you was the worst decision the Dragons ever made? This might just be the best signing for 06 (from a raiders point of view)....

Raider Azz

Bench
If you were Lance and were just shafted by the one club you played 200 games for, wouldn't that spur you on to prove that you still have it? That punting you was the worst decision the Dragons ever made? This might just be the best signing for 06 (from a raiders point of view)....
interesting point there

juggalo_strit

Juniors
from what i know it isn't official.
i think he'll be a good signing!
won't bother me at all seeing him run around in the raiders jersey

Chachi

Bench
Poor little hard done by Lancie - it's not his fault...the baggage handlers did it...it's a CIA conspiracy.

Would he come to the Raiders under any other circumstances? Not in a million years. The only "education" this guy will bring to our young players is how to use the Raiders as a departure lounge before a better offer comes up. Can you imagine how positive the team will be when he announces on July 1 that he is off to the Gold Coast or Leeds or the bloody North Kiama friggin Dolphins. I've had enough of that crap over the last few years thanks.

Then again, even if he pulls his head in, starts to act his age and does want to stay after '06 how in the hell do we then keep the precious few quality backs we've got coming off contract - assuming they'll all demand a pay rise?

All I can hope is that if we do sign him I'm proven wrong and it all turns out peachy.

paulquinn49

Bench
Raiders will be a better side with his signing. To all the people who dont want him here...

Who have we got who is better?

Timbo

Staff member
paulquinn49 said:
Raiders will be a better side with his signing. To all the people who dont want him here...

Who have we got who is better?

Bingo.

Kahler and Rothery have showed promise. But promise doesn't win you premierships.

Thompson has experience we need.

Raider_69

Post Whore
thompson wont win us a premiership either timbo
with or without thompson we wont win a comp this year, so why not use the time to give players that show "promise" some quality experience and allow them to improve so that in a few years time we WILL be in with a shot at a premiership

jed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
thompson wont win us a premiership either timbo
with or without thompson we wont win a comp this year, so why not use the time to give players that show "promise" some quality experience and allow them to improve so that in a few years time we WILL be in with a shot at a premiership

If you are going to ask for that, you've got to promise not to bitch and moan if Elliott starts selecting the younger guys and we don't win games. You can't have it both ways.

Raider_69

Post Whore
jed said:
If you are going to ask for that, you've got to promise not to bitch and moan if Elliott starts selecting the younger guys and we don't win games. You can't have it both ways.

i dont bitch and moan about losing, i bitch and moan about the negative game style we play with, the boarderline geniused game plans implimented by elliott and the select tables woes we are faced with each and every tuesday as the team is announced.

As long as the right players are picked, the game plan suits them better and those players give their best i got no cause for complaint...

skeepe

Immortal
The way I see it with some people is Elliott is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I admit selecting Gafa week after week was perplexing, but aside from that I think he did a good job this year.

Now, from what I can gather with this thread, if we sign Thompson, Elliott will be criticised win or lose. If we don't sign Thompson and the youngsters don't immediately step up and we lose, Elliott will be criticised. If they do step up and we win, Elliott will be criticised because he didn't put them in sooner.

Fair summation?

whatwhat

Juniors
Signing Thompson will be a good signing if he is on basement level money.. He wil bring experience to our young forward pack and hopefully will add a bit of muscle as well.

He will not win us a premiership for us but he may mean we are more competetive than we were going to be, he isnt injury prone like other forwards we have as well.