What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you support the Raiders signing Lance Thompson?

dubby

Bench
jed said:
If you are going to ask for that, you've got to promise not to bitch and moan if Elliott starts selecting the younger guys and we don't win games. You can't have it both ways.

Thats the perfect comeback dude...pity R69 won't see the sense in it, let alone adhere to it. HE lives to bag Elliot..;-)

dubby

Bench
skeepe said:
The way I see it with some people is Elliott is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I admit selecting Gafa week after week was perplexing, but aside from that I think he did a good job this year.

Now, from what I can gather with this thread, if we sign Thompson, Elliott will be criticised win or lose. If we don't sign Thompson and the youngsters don't immediately step up and we lose, Elliott will be criticised. If they do step up and we win, Elliott will be criticised because he didn't put them in sooner.

Fair summation?

Yeah, 100% correct mate.

Raider_69

Post Whore
skeepe said:
The way I see it with some people is Elliott is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I admit selecting Gafa week after week was perplexing, but aside from that I think he did a good job this year.

Now, from what I can gather with this thread, if we sign Thompson, Elliott will be criticised win or lose. If we don't sign Thompson and the youngsters don't immediately step up and we lose, Elliott will be criticised. If they do step up and we win, Elliott will be criticised because he didn't put them in sooner.

Fair summation?

NO.

If its Kahler and co that got a good chances last year then theres no reason to bag elliott as he gave them oppertunities. 2nd teir cap stop other debuts, so if its them i wont bag elliott as its not his fault we were on ther limits of the 2nd teir cap. However i will bag Management and if the players that fire are the likes of David Milne or Jermaine Ale then hell yes ill bag Elliott as both should have got more chances at the expence of Mogg and Gafa and Howell

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:
Kahler is one of the wrost players ever to wear a Raiders jersey.

true, but iam using him as an example, if say he were to fire next year there is no way you could bag elliott as he gave him plenty of chances to shine this year, chances he butched hard i might add

posh

Juniors
thompson is a c#nt, what could he bring? he could teach (nathan) smith that sculling one more drink than usual is the way to go; "professionalism, whats that?" .if we sign him, we could make him captain, he was chewing gum like a 10 year old at his own hearing, and looking like a red headed step child you just wanna slap, what a waste of space.

woodgers

Bench
jed said:
To me it depends on our goals for 2006.

If we want to be somewhat competitive straight away, buying him wouldn't be a bad move. However, if we're looking to show faith in our youngsters, we may not be a top 4 team straight away, but the experience we gain (especially if we can hold onto the kids for 2007) will be invaluable.

Jed, have you lost the plot in the off season? We came 2nd last and you are suggesting that if we add Lance 'average' Thompson that we will somewhat competitive straight away, possibly top 4?

We must be watching a different player.

woodgers

Bench
skeepe said:

Fair summation?

Not at all. Elliott has made a few moves that I have disagreed with and been proven wrong. I was 50/50 about signing Smith and Adamson but he proved that it was the right way to go. I still maintain that one of the best things he has done is get Ale to this club as well. I won't bag him for the sake of bagging him but if he is making mistakes we will point them out, same as any supporter.

I don't support the signing. Not because as a few people have mentioned he has off field problems, that is a side issue, my issue is getting the club and team moving in the right direction. I just don't rate Lance Thompson at all, he really doesn't have many skills at all or more to the point, nothing more than anyone else that we can put in the backrow currently. If we buy him and he plays well then Elliott has pulled it off and well done to him, if we sign him and he is mediocre every week then I will be like the rest of us and wonder why the hell we wasted our money. The other concern is Thompson will be one of those players Elliott will NEVER drop. Rothery could score 10 tries in reggies and still not displace him if he is playing badly. I've said it before and i'll say it again, we need skilled players here now, not another toiler or workhorse, we have plenty of that.

On your second point Skeepe, I have always been an advocate for the best player in the best position, end of story. Age, Experience, whatever, Elliott should just pick on form and that is final. He doesn't seem to do that and worst of all, I don't think he knows the difference between a good and bad player, we've seen little evidence. If a youngster is better, put them in and give them a go. These guys have played together in lower grades for a while and understand each other, that is more important than most of us realise.

Raider_69

Post Whore
well said woodgers, glad im not the only one who isnt a fan at all of this move
excluding a 1 year and 1 year only deal, then i can handle it

Chachi

Bench
Hopefully he'll now join the Sharks and the rest of their overrated squad of losers.

It will be interesting watching them self implode again with more off field dramas.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Thompson is a deadbeat of Penrith proportions. (Sorry 69!).

I cannot stand him. He's in the same category as Phil Gould, as far as I'm concerned.

Well doesn't look like he will be comming to Canberra. He will go to the Sharks now as that was his first preference before the Sharks initially shut the door on him

Raider_69

Post Whore
Boing Boing said:
Thompson is a deadbeat of Penrith proportions. (Sorry 69!).

I cannot stand him. He's in the same category as Phil Gould, as far as I'm concerned.

totally agree, bar the penrith part ;-)
some of us are alright ya know! :p

Chachi

Bench
I can see the Daily Telegraph headline now...

"Thompson Joins Cronulla Leadership Group: i h8 u 2 brett. ur a f**kn tossr."