What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.5%

• Total voters

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Some of us have never flip flopped and wanted him gone since round 6 2018 when the dopey fraud walked into a press conference with that spaced dumb look on his face and said duhhhhh “ I have idea why we are losing”

4 year later he he still trudges into press conferences with that spaced dumb look on his face. Cut the cord and bone this fraud!! Heh heh that rhymes.
You're a poet and you don't know it.

lucablight

First Grade
Well I looked at long term performance. The last time we performed at this level was 2005-09. Prior to that we missed the finals twice, and after it we missed the finals seven times. Now we’ve made the finals four straight years. I assume that lean period was the outlier. But even our best year in the last 20 (2005) was a flash in the pan. The Panthers are about to replicate it for the third straight year, and the Roosters and Storm have both put together consecutive seasons like our 2005 multiple times.
If it was as simple as just having the resources to be successful then why haven’t Manchester United won a title since Ferguson left? Have they suddenly become a mid tier club with no resources? I would say our success and failures during the time periods you’re referring to are related to roster management. It wasn’t because we were a stronger club back then. We made better decisions in regards to which players to bring in. We had a premiership window between 2005 and 2007 (but failed to capitalise) and then made some really poor choices in regards to recruitment and retention. The relative success in 2009 was in spite of the decisions made by management not because of them (that side overachieved big time). That became apparent when we couldn’t replicate our temporary rich vein of form and it was downhill from there eg Management stuffed up big time by signing Mortimer to a big money deal by overestimating his ability. I would say our current roster is pretty damn good. I don’t know why we’re sitting in the bottom part of the 8. I think it’s oversimplistic to just say every club that has sustained success does so because they’re well resourced. If that was the case then Manly are a pro tier club given they made grand finals in 2007,2008 and 2011.

lucablight

First Grade
It definitely isn’t said on here.

Look mate, when you say something fundamental like the health of a club has ‘nothing to do with that’ it erodes your credibility and willingness to see both sides.

Clearly, there are a range of factors behind why we haven’t achieved…and it’s not unreasonable to suggest that a club that’s only just coming out of the other side of being placed in voluntary adminstration has plenty of room for improvement.

Our predicament is not entirely down to coaching. That’s far too simplistic a take.
I’m talking about this season. I think we’ve put ourselves in positions to win before but couldn’t capitalise eg 2005-2007. Sometimes you weren’t good enough at the time. It doesn’t mean you couldn’t have done so.

lucablight

First Grade
In the absence of more information, yes. Getting to the next level requires spending more money, not just sacking the coach. The question is whether that money is available. Maybe we could borrow it or redirect it from PLC profits (assuming they are profitable again after Covid). We could get another Gould and some more expensive coaches and commit to seven or eight years of spending big and poaching the best juniors, etc. Then we hope we win a comp or two in that time and then spend the next decade paying it off or replenishing the coffers. Which is what we might be doing right now.
This is a baseless assumption that is easily refuted by the fact that the majority of NRL clubs that even you would concede are of similar power to us have won competitions since we last won one. Correlation does not equal causation.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What are you talking about? Most of those coaches did a better job than the current coach and didn’t get anywhere near as many chances.
Most coaches since ‘86 did better than Arthur’s? Only Smith and Taylor had better win rates, and Taylor only coached half a season (and no preseason) so doesn’t count.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Some of us have never flip flopped and wanted him gone since round 6 2018 when the dopey fraud walked into a press conference with that spaced dumb look on his face and said duhhhhh “ I have idea why we are losing”

4 year later he he still trudges into press conferences with that spaced dumb look on his face. Cut the cord and bone this fraud!! Heh heh that rhymes.

Found that press conference.

What about Timmy Mannah. Talk about what an inspirational leader he was.

lucablight

First Grade
Most coaches since ‘86 did better than Arthur’s? Only Smith and Taylor had better win rates, and Taylor only coached half a season (and no preseason) so doesn’t count.
Hagan took us to week 3 of the finals (further than Arthur). I didn’t really rate him. Anderson took us to a grand final (also further than Arthur) with a spine of Keating, Robson and Mortimer. You would hope Arthur had a higher winning percentage given he has had much better rosters than the 2008 and 2010 Eels. The Roster management was a mess after 2010 so no point in making a comparison there because I doubt any coach could have done anything with those rosters.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You’re just taking the most recent successes of clubs and categorising them into tiers based on that.
No, otherwise I'd have Penrith higher and Canterbury lower. I even f**ken explained this (recency bias) in my post ffs.
That doesn’t demonstrate anything in regards to resources. If you were making this in 2004 you would have put the Bulldogs in top tier.
Well I'm not making it in 2004 am I? And I'm sure the Bulldogs have been spending less on footy in recent years than they were back then so yes, I would've had the Bulldogs in a different resourcing tier. Souths were gash back then too, and North Queensland were just emerging from the shit tier. As I said, clubs rise and fall over time. We are definitely a stronger club (better resourced) since 2019 than we were between 2010 and 2018.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Bellamy and Bennett have said on countless ocassions that they can't explain something....I tend to think its more a case of a coach not wanting to discuss it in a f**ken press conference when it is still raw.

We as fans read far too much into press conferences because that 5-10min a week is our only real source of info outside of the game (i.e. we know f**k all).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If it was as simple as just having the resources to be successful then why haven’t Manchester United won a title since Ferguson left? Have they suddenly become a mid tier club with no resources?
Well you have to ask why they haven't been able to get a better manager. And maybe the clubs who are outperforming them have just been spending more money. Man City didn't turn their fortunes around by buying a new manager. They did it by being bought by a succession of rich foreigners with cash to burn.
I would say our success and failures during the time periods you’re referring to are related to roster management. It wasn’t because we were a stronger club back then. We made better decisions in regards to which players to bring in. We had a premiership window between 2005 and 2007 (but failed to capitalise) and then made some really poor choices in regards to recruitment and retention.
Every club makes poor 'choices' because they are making decisions in a competitive environment with imperfect information. The difference is that stronger clubs are less impacted when these decisions turn sour. For weaker clubs overpaying a couple of big signings can ruin them for years.
The relative success in 2009 was in spite of the decisions made by management not because of them (that side overachieved big time). That became apparent when we couldn’t replicate our temporary rich vein of form and it was downhill from there eg Management stuffed up big time by signing Mortimer to a big money deal by overestimating his ability.
Agreed. However if the Roosters or Storm had done the same thing it wouldn't have hurt them for as long. The Chooks made some roster moves after 2015 that led to them only winning six games in 2016 (same as us in our most recent spoon season). But because of their superior resourcing they were able to recover quickly and win consecutive premierships within three years. Our own recovery, with fewer resources, has us hovering around the top six rather than competing for minor premierships.
I would say our current roster is pretty damn good.
I would say it's good (better than most but not as good as a few) and neither over- nor underachieving. I think 3rd to 8th is a realistic performance range for our club over the course of a season.
I don’t know why we’re sitting in the bottom part of the 8.
Neither do I, which is why I don't like to single merkins out.
I think it’s oversimplistic to just say every club that has sustained success does so because they’re well resourced. If that was the case then Manly are a pro tier club given they made grand finals in 2007,2008 and 2011.
I'm certain Manly were a pro-tier club back then. Penn was only a 40% owner prior to 2014 and the ownership group as a whole were obviously tipping more money in before that. Or is Hasler just a worse coach these days?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Another shithouse leader in a long line of shithouse leaders. We haven’t had a decent leader here since Dean Pay.

lucablight

First Grade
No, otherwise I'd have Penrith higher and Canterbury lower. I even f**ken explained this (recency bias) in my post ffs.
Well I'm not making it in 2004 am I? And I'm sure the Bulldogs have been spending less on footy in recent years than they were back then so yes, I would've had the Bulldogs in a different resourcing tier. Souths were gash back then too, and North Queensland were just emerging from the shit tier. As I said, clubs rise and fall over time. We are definitely a stronger club (better resourced) since 2019 than we were between 2010 and 2018.
I put a lot more stock in decision making. This isn’t the EPL where you literally have zero chance of winning the title unless you’re a rich club. In theory if you have competent management any club should be able to win a title at some stage if they play their cards right (due to the salary cap). If we haven’t won a title it’s not because we were lacking. It’s because the people involved in making it happen didn’t do a good enough job.

Latest posts