What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I could give you a myriad of reasons as to why teams finished with a better points differential than us and why it doesn’t matter. You said yourself that we were coasting during the regular season.
No I didn't. Just like every other team (including Penrith) we weren't up every week, but that doesn't mean we were coasting.
Apart from maybe the Roosters (who were never really in the hunt because of their injury toll) I would say none of the teams that finished ahead of us were better than us at their best (apart from the Panthers who did make the grand final).
A team's 'best' is an outlier; statistically insignificant. In any given game a team's performance is impacted by the form, fitness and availability of its own players, as well as the overall performance of the opposition. This is why only looking at a team's biggest win gives a false impression of its quality. The most granular (and statistically significant) measure is points differential over a full season, and in this area we were overshadowed by many teams. Four teams scored slightly more points than we did, but seven conceded fewer, and five of those conceded significantly fewer points. Over the largest sample of data (24 games) we were outplayed by five other teams, and Souths were about as good as we were. Only Canberra and the bottom eight sides performed worse.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Does anyone have a mulberry bush emoji I could borrow?
The problem is that understanding would require most of these merkins to take an introductory statistics course, like what is required for uni merkins straight out of high school. Many others surely attended such a course, but it was so long ago that they've dumped it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The problem is that understanding would require most of these merkins to take an introductory statistics course, like what is required for uni merkins straight out of high school. Many others surely attended such a course, but it was so long ago that they've dumped it.
I compiled 25 years of data on For and Against and posted it on here. What Lucablight is suggesting is possible but what he doesn’t appear to understand is that even a cursory evaluation of that data indicates it’s unlikely.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And herein lies the problem of the sports fan dealing with probabilities. Even I would've overestimated the possibility of us winning last year, which I tipped at about 10%

lucablight

First Grade
No I didn't. Just like every other team (including Penrith) we weren't up every week, but that doesn't mean we were coasting.

A team's 'best' is an outlier; statistically insignificant. In any given game a team's performance is impacted by the form, fitness and availability of its own players, as well as the overall performance of the opposition. This is why only looking at a team's biggest win gives a false impression of its quality. The most granular (and statistically significant) measure is points differential over a full season, and in this area we were overshadowed by many teams. Four teams scored slightly more points than we did, but seven conceded fewer, and five of those conceded significantly fewer points. Over the largest sample of data (24 games) we were outplayed by five other teams, and Souths were about as good as we were. Only Canberra and the bottom eight sides performed worse.
You absolutely stated that the reason for some of our poor performances was because we were waiting for the finals after the 2 point loss to Penrith in 2021. Go back and check the tapes. I know you place a lot of weight on the opinion of Phil Gould and he was one who tipped us to make the grand final. Alot of “experts” did including Paul Gallen and Benji Marshall. We didn’t overachieve. We deserved to be there and it would have been a huge disappointment if we hadn’t made it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You absolutely stated that the reason for some of our poor performances was because we were waiting for the finals after the 2 point loss to Penrith in 2021. Go back and check the tapes.
I definitely said we looked like a team waiting for the finals, but that described plenty of teams. Nobody is up every week, and that doesn’t mean they’re coasting. It’s probably fair to say the Sharks and Cowboys were better motivated in more games than the other top eight sides, but the Cowboys were the second best team all year, and unlucky on the day against us.
I know you place a lot of weight on the opinion of Phil Gould and he was one who tipped us to make the grand final. Alot of “experts” did including Paul Gallen and Benji Marshall. We didn’t overachieve. We deserved to be there and it would have been a huge disappointment if we hadn’t made it.
It would've been but it also was a huge disappointment for plenty of teams that didn't make the grand final, as it is every year. You do realise only two teams can make it, despite plenty each year being good enough? If you've got five or six teams good enough to play in the grand final most of them will miss out. You don't need to be a mathemagician to figure that one out.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The Cows weren’t unlucky, they just weren’t good enough. They had enough ball to win 3 games but couldn’t get over the line against us. They had their fair share of calls that game as well.
Or defence against them was an absolute stand out. I can’t remember a performance as good since the night that we belted the shit out of the bears in the 1998 finals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Cows weren’t unlucky, they just weren’t good enough.
Of course they were good enough. They proved it all year. If we played that game another nine times they might’ve won seven of them.
They had enough ball to win 3 games but couldn’t get over the line against us. They had their fair share of calls that game as well.
Sounds like they had an off day, like we have so often.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Of course they were good enough. They proved it all year. If we played that game another nine times they might’ve won seven of them.

Sounds like they had an off day, like we have so often.
Moses had a shocker with the boot, Cows with an off day?? I’d argue and say that we didn’t play at our best either. Our scramble won us that game which was all about heart and desperation. They win 7/10??? Source???

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They win 7/10??? Source???
Simply their performance over 24 rounds, including against us in Darwin. Even including finals they proved they were a better team than us last year. A 4-point loss doesn't change much. If Moses had an off day so did plenty of their guys.

hindy111

Post Whore
Simply their performance over 24 rounds, including against us in Darwin. Even including finals they proved they were a better team than us last year. A 4-point loss doesn't change much. If Moses had an off day so did plenty of their guys.

Nah. Cowboys back end of season where poor while we where strong. We where a better side. There only hope was humidity and that got us in Darwin.
Played in Parra and we win by 20.

Latest posts