What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

IFR33K

Coach
So what changes to help us get to a prelim or better?

Since the storm game we’ve played well. I’m still not convinced with BA’s team selection and use of the bench. Lane playing ahead of papa and matto is a joke, but not as funny as stone at 9. Will Ba learn? I don’t know. It’s obvious he can coach thou.

Noise

Coach
I think we need an attacking weapon in the spine. Replace Gutho with Ponga and we are a much more scary proposition.
Agree but I can’t see Ponga coming here. I don’t know who is a realistic option that would be that X factor that improves us. We already missed out on Kotoni Staggs

IFR33K

Coach
Hmm i kind of expected that reply , but i was making an honest observation about how he is veiwed by many in general league circles and zero to do with my opinion of him as an x tigers player.

plus, we have another half in the team, that’s been far inferior to Moses all year. Probably got the worst attacking stats for an nrl half this season. I’ll go as far to say, is probably only in the team because of his defense. Dylan brown.

yet you failed to mention brown and lay the blame solely on Moses. Obviously (don’t take offense) there’s an agenda

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Agree but I can’t see Ponga coming here. I don’t know who is a realistic option that would be that X factor that improves us. We already missed out on Kotoni Staggs
Yeah. I think the club knows its a weakness but its not like those types of players just fall out of shapes boxes. There aren't many of them to go around.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
plus, we have another half in the team, that’s been far inferior to Moses all year. Probably got the worst attacking stats for an nrl half this season. I’ll go as far to say, is probably only in the team because of his defense. Dylan brown.

yet you failed to mention brown and lay the blame solely on Moses. Obviously (don’t take offense) there’s an agenda
Love Brown's effort and commitment, but like Gutho he's just a bit too plod in attack. Appreciate its Moses' team to lead but Brown needs to be a better foil to Moses, like Luai is to Cleary. Some unpredictability and running brilliance.

To be honest though, I'm not sure he can ever be that type of player.

IFR33K

Coach
Love Brown's effort and commitment, but like Gutho he's just a bit too plod in attack. Appreciate its Moses' team to lead but Brown needs to be a better foil to Moses, like Luai is to Cleary. Some unpredictability and running brilliance.

To be honest though, I'm not sure he can ever be that type of player.

That’s why I’ve said in the past we don’t pose much of a threat on browns side. Doesn’t have a money ball but is super fast and fit. And Gutho would do a better job at 6. We’ve seen him there. We need a strike fullback, love him or loathe him, Gutho isn’t one.

Chipmunk

Coach
The conundrum we have is that for mine this coaching staff has clearly reached a plateau with this squad of players, and second week of the finals is where it is going to be for this group.

With very little of the squad changing for next year, the only way we're going to get further is make some changes to the coaching set-up. This doesn't appear to be happening though.

The other conundrum is that there isn't really a more viable alternative to the current Head Coach, and you can't really wait until the end of next season before you re-sign or sign a Head Coach for 2023 beyond. We will know nothing more at any stage of the regular season next season on whether BA is the right person for 2023 beyond, and we will not know until the end of next season.

We're probably not really in any other position than extending the Head Coach for 1 more season. But, with the entire coaching set-up and the playing squad to remain mostly the same, then a second week exit in the Finals at best is again where we're likely going to be this time next year.

Gronk

Staff member
If attacking coaches are such a non influence then why bother having them? Is having two players who have played origin in the spine not good enough cattle? Moses was literally picked ahead of Reynolds this season.
Well many said that the Pennys would crash n burn after losing Trent Barrett. He was tbe reason why their shape was so impressive.

Nek minute Pennys are fine and the Dogs are still shit.

Cattle.

Noise

Coach
Yeah. I think the club knows its a weakness but its not like those types of players just fall out of shapes boxes. There aren't many of them to go around.
Yep. So if we can’t sign a Ponga or similar type player for 2022 or 2023 where does that leave us? It leaves us with pretty much the same squad, the exact same coaching staff and probably more 2nd round finals exits.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That’s why I’ve said in the past we don’t pose much of a threat on browns side. Doesn’t have a money ball but is super fast and fit. And Gutho would do a better job at 6. We’ve seen him there. We need a strike fullback, love him or loathe him, Gutho isn’t one.
Agreed. So we either move Gutho on or move Brown on and move Gutho to 6.

This is the list of off contract players. Slim pickings...

I was disappointed we didn't pick up Nicho Hynes.

Screenshot 2021-09-19 10.32.35 AM.png

strider

Post Whore
I think we need an attacking weapon in the spine. Replace Gutho with Ponga and we are a much more scary proposition.
Im not a big Ponga fan ... he just seems a bit all over the place. Can be the most brilliant talent in the game but also seems a space cadet at times just not interested.

Not denying him at his best wouldnt improve us.

Though i also reckon he would potentially frustrate the f**k out of our fans.

$1.2m Ponga will cost you more than gutho. Would need a surplus forward to go aswell.

All that aside, i reckon we would be buckleys of signing him. I reckon he is a shoe in for the qld expansion team

Noise

Coach
This 2021 side is a far better side than 2020. You can't see that ?
How so?

The 2021 side played 24 games, won 15 lost 9 with a points differential of 109, finishing 6th. In the semis we beat the team that finished 7th and lost to the team who finished 2nd.
The 2020 side played 20 games, won 15 lost 5 with a points differential of 104, finishing 3rd. In the semis we lost to the team who finished 2nd and lost to the team who finished 6th.

How are we a far better side this year than last year?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep. So if we can’t sign a Ponga or similar type player for 2022 or 2023 where does that leave us? It leaves us with pretty much the same squad, the exact same coaching staff and probably more 2nd round finals exits.
Possibly.

Though we were a bees dick away from winning last night. I still think we can improve our week to week consistency and become a better team than we currently are but without an X Factor attacking weapon we are at a significant disadvantage. All the good teams have at least one.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Im not a big Ponga fan ... he just seems a bit all over the place. Can be the most brilliant talent in the game but also seems a space cadet at times just not interested.

Not denying him at his best wouldnt improve us.

Though i also reckon he would potentially frustrate the f**k out of our fans.

$1.2m Ponga will cost you more than gutho. Would need a surplus forward to go aswell.

All that aside, i reckon we would be buckleys of signing him. I reckon he is a she in for the qld expansion team
Yeah. Its a lot of money and there is no guarantee it would work.

Latest posts