What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 109 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 116 51.6%

• Total voters

emjaycee

Coach
When you click on Brad Arthur "open full bio", you now get...

View attachment 88359
That same error would have been there for the last few months at least and is there for all the FG coaches except Walters. Walters links to his wiki page, the others link to a URL at each club that isn't correct. BA's profile is still on our webpage so if they had used the correct link, it would still have worked.

telstra-premiership/parramatta-eels/brad-arthur/ (wrong link)
nrl-premiership/parramatta-eels/brad-arthur/ (correct link)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not trying to understand Australian military culture - I'm merely shedding light on the frailties of your posted perspective.

And I have read the Brereton report (for professional interest).

Do you posts here not demonstrate a blind faith in authority figures?Are you not (through the lens of your posts here) a Brad Arthur - or the previous coach, or the next coach - "titty tugger"?
It's not about authority figures, it's about trusting the people with knowledge and skin in the game, over ignorant observers who don't have all the facts. I think Australians in general are suspicious of authority figures and that includes Australians in the ADF. The first thing you learn at Kapooka is that anyone with more (or less) rank than the person talking is a dimwit with no idea. A Few Good Men is either a particularly American story or a total fantasy. It doesn't apply here.

the phantom menace

First Grade
That same error would have been there for the last few months at least and is there for all the FG coaches except Walters. Walters links to his wiki page, the others link to a URL at each club that isn't correct. BA's profile is still on our webpage so if they had used the correct link, it would still have worked.

telstra-premiership/parramatta-eels/brad-arthur/ (wrong link)
nrl-premiership/parramatta-eels/brad-arthur/ (correct link)
Thanks for that, champ. Maybe you should email the business owner as a courtesy to let them know what you've discovered?

the phantom menace

First Grade
It's not about authority figures, it's about trusting the people with knowledge and skin in the game, over ignorant observers who don't have all the facts.
Blind faith in "people with knowledge and skin in the game" then?
I think Australians in general are suspicious of authority figures and that includes Australians in the ADF. The first thing you learn at Kapooka is that anyone with more (or less) rank than the person talking is a dimwit with no idea.
Then why don't you apply that same learning to, say, your trust in the Eels Head Coach or Eels Board members?
A Few Good Men is either a particularly American story or a total fantasy. It doesn't apply here.
It was essentially a fictional courtroom drama. Genuinely interested in your view (if any) of movies that have captured some elements of reality? I'm thinking perhaps Heartbreak Ridge... perhaps Apocalypse Now (although artistically)... but I wouldn't know, and there are a lot of popular films I haven't yet watched.

emjaycee

Coach
It's not about authority figures, it's about trusting the people with knowledge and skin in the game, over ignorant observers who don't have all the facts. I think Australians in general are suspicious of authority figures and that includes Australians in the ADF. The first thing you learn at Kapooka is that anyone with more (or less) rank than the person talking is a dimwit with no idea. A Few Good Men is either a particularly American story or a total fantasy. It doesn't apply here.
I agree with Bart on this one, you just can't handle the truth!!

the phantom menace

First Grade
He is an expert on soldiering. He has seen all the blockbusters.
*soldering

Soldering Mechanical Engineering GIF by Airspeeder

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Blind faith in "people with knowledge and skin in the game" then?
I think trust is a more apt term than blind faith, which would require zero evidence. These guys are all pros. Even the 17th best head coach in the NRL is a highly competent professional. They have run a gauntlet just to get to where they are. They deserve respect from the likes of yourself, who might be the billionth best on the planet at whatever it is you do.
Then why don't you apply that same learning to, say, your trust in the Eels Head Coach or Eels Board members?
Because the coach and board members have no authority over me, so I can remain dispassionate about them. But experience has taught me that the cream does rise to the top and experience does have value. Attacking leaders in professional sports appears to come from that same insecure, petty place in most people that causes them to attack political leaders. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
It was essentially a fictional courtroom drama. Genuinely interested in your view (if any) of movies that have captured some elements of reality? I'm thinking perhaps Heartbreak Ridge... perhaps Apocalypse Now (although artistically)... but I wouldn't know, and there are a lot of popular films I haven't yet watched.
I generally don't like war movies, though some of the historical ones have been awesome, probably because I'm removed enough from the reality. Dunkirk and 1917 were great. However one director who seems to nail the vibe (even if the details don't ring true) is Kathryn Bigelow. Apocalypse Now is obviously brilliant, and Black Hawk Down is a lot of fun too.

emjaycee

Coach
I generally don't like war movies, though some of the historical ones have been awesome, probably because I'm removed enough from the reality. Dunkirk and 1917 were great. However one director who seems to nail the vibe (even if the details don't ring true) is Kathryn Bigelow. Apocalypse Now is obviously brilliant, and Black Hawk Down is a lot of fun too.
I liked her brother Duece's movie. A better overall vibe than her efforts to be honest.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I think trust is a more apt term than blind faith, which would require zero evidence. These guys are all pros. Even the 17th best head coach in the NRL is a highly competent professional. They have run a gauntlet just to get to where they are. They deserve respect
But - like all authority figures or competent professionals - should not be immune from criticism, which is what your post (and posting history) implies.
Attacking leaders in professional sports appears to come from that same insecure, petty place in most people that causes them to attack political leaders. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
I would argue criticism of leaders (in any field) doesn't come from insecurity - it comes from a place that knows through criticism and critical thought improvements flow. Scientific method for example is based on criticising established thoughts and perceived leaders - otherwise we'd all still be flat earthers.
Thanks, will give them all a watch - only one of them I've seen is Apocalypse Now.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But - like all authority figures or competent professionals - should not be immune from criticism, which is what your post (and posting history) implies.
Because we don’t see what they do, so any criticism is based on a flawed and incomplete understanding of what a coach does. That’s why I save my criticism for the players. At least we can observe what they do.
I would argue criticism of leaders (in any field) doesn't come from insecurity - it comes from a place that knows through criticism and critical thought improvements flow. Scientific method for example is based on criticising established thoughts and perceived leaders - otherwise we'd all still be flat earthers.
I don’t think the scientific method has anything to do with leaders. Science is based on observation, not trust.

hindy111

Post Whore
Because we don’t see what they do, so any criticism is based on a flawed and incomplete understanding of what a coach does. That’s why I save my criticism for the players. At least we can observe what they do.

I don’t think the scientific method has anything to do with leaders. Science is based on observation, not trust.

I'd argue it also has something to do with not what you know but who you know. A lot of that can come down to luck.
I know friends who ended up part owners of companies by these situations. And others who have worked harder and are smarter but unlucky for them dealt with the wrong people and things didn't turn out as well.
Let's for example say 2016 there was no salary cap scandal and we had our 2018 year in 2016. BA most likely is sacked and no club touches him again.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Authority figures/competent professionals immune from criticism... but don't we see the fruits of what a coach actually does on show during the 80mins, to allow them to be criticised just as much as players (for whom we don't see what they do in the rest of their working week)?
It's based on proving hypotheses, including disproving null hypotheses, to advance scientific knowledge beyond what is currently accepted by the thought leaders of their fields - instead of just accepting the status quo.

King-Gutho94

Coach
BA has handled it very well as he should have and expected.

Deep down he knew the lemon had been squeezed dry. There was nothing left to get out this side from his coaching.

I think he appreciates as he should the club gave him every opportunity to succeed. 11 Years is a long time and he had to do 3 rebuilds in that 11 years.

2014 - When he arrived he had to rebuild the confidence and feel of the playing group after getting bashed from pillar to post from 2011-2013. Ricky may got rid of most of the deadwood but the playing group still had to rebuilt from a mental standpoint and a losing culture that had developed in those spoons.

2016 - After getting a roster ready to make a run for the title we basically had it stripped away due to illegality of it which forced another quick reload for 2017 by signing Moses

2019 - After bottoming out in 2018 another quick rebuild signing Fergo, Lane, Sivo - emergence of Dylan Brown cutting Tim Mannah, Corey Norman & Bevan French adrift. Topping up with RCG & Matto in 2020 gave us a 3 year genuine tilt at the title.

2023 - Was a bridge too far you could argue if we won 1 more game last year & made finals last year BA is probably still coaching.

And so what the club quietly went after Bennett. I am sure he would be a little dirty about that but at the end of the day its a ruthless business. No shame in getting moved on for one of the greatest coaches of all-time.

I think all up everyone has come out this alright.

We needed change and the club finally acted in the way it should have they didn't tell anyone BA was gone until BA was told himself.

Daniel Anderson is probably wishing he got the same treatment back in 2010 what a disgrace that was handled by Osborne and Spags in there pursuit of Kearney with 4 rounds to go and a media circus for 7 weeks before DA got the flick.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd argue it also has something to do with not what you know but who you know. A lot of that can come down to luck.
I know friends who ended up part owners of companies by these situations. And others who have worked harder and are smarter but unlucky for them dealt with the wrong people and things didn't turn out as well.
Let's for example say 2016 there was no salary cap scandal and we had our 2018 year in 2016. BA most likely is sacked and no club touches him again.
2018 happened because of 2016.

King-Gutho94

Coach
2018 happened because of 2016.
2018 had more to do with troubled players we brought into the fold.

We already had Corey Norman, Peni Terepo, Michael Jennings, Ken Edwards, Kirisome Auv'va at the joint who had troubled history for playing up.

Throw in Jarryd Hayne, Tony Williams into the mix was a tipping point for a complete disaster.

Its almost easier naming players from that side who didnt have a criminal history then ones who did.

It was why i was so surprised as anyone that Fergo was signed midway through 2018 for 2019. Like we needed another one.

But clearly we did something right as Parra is one of the only places he didnt play up or get himself into any trouble while here.

Latest posts