What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 109 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 116 51.6%

• Total voters

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I heard them talking about the PNG team on ABC radio last weekend and they were talking about how for the first 5 years, and this is after coming in to the comp in 2028 so we're talking until about 2033, the team would be based in Cairns. I think it was Carayanis from News Ltd who was saying it.

I just thought, what's the f**king point of that?

Donald Trump GIF by fularious

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I heard them talking about the PNG team on ABC radio last weekend and they were talking about how for the first 5 years, and this is after coming in to the comp in 2028 so we're talking until about 2033, the team would be based in Cairns. I think it was Carayanis from News Ltd who was saying it.

I just thought, what's the f**king point of that?
The point is that nobody wants to live in PNG. It could be thirty years before enough locals could make a fully homegrown team be competitive in the NRL, so they will need 25+ imports in the squad every year. They won't want to live in Port Moresby. So they would need to run their daily operations (including training) in Australia somewhere and just fly to PNG every fortnight for their 'home' games.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
My little bird told me Perth has been given the go ahead. They’re next simply because the set up in PNG will take years. It’s happening there but they need to build so much it’s not funny.

well Poubear is available if they need a "consultant"

if they need a purpose built stadium, its probably about 5 years away from happening, grants, approvals, building etc

Perth easily makes the most sense, plus another dagger into Yawnion’s heart.

it's not really that big over there, It is boosted by the Kiwi and Polynesian population who cant hack AFL so I think League will do well over there, its a transient population

they've only got a RU team because Twiggy is a RU fan

JokerEel

Coach
Perth should be one of the two next sides into the competition the other NZ2.

They need their own identity I do like the Perth Jets though.. Having them align with the Bears is also ok but not playing home games at North Sydney.
They just come in and they are already taking home games away from the Perth fans so dumb if they agree to do that...

emjaycee

Coach
This source suggests Newtown were 3rd formed, after Glebe and South Sydney:

Different sources, different order.

I also found some sites that had:
1. Glebe 08/01/1908
2. Newtown 10/01/1908
3. Sth Sydney 17/01/1908

King-Gutho94

Coach
The demographic of newtown these days doesn't lend itself to having junior rep sides.

North Sydney could still claim hornsby and lane Cove areas on top of Asquith and those surrounding areas near North Sydney.

Newtown is cornered with not much wriggle room and a difference demographic.