What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doc gives Mateo a glimmer of hope

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/doc-gives-mateo-a-glimmer-of-hope/2008/07/13/1215887452599.html
Doc gives Mateo a glimmer of hope

Greg Prichard | July 14, 2008

THERE was speculation yesterday that Parramatta star Feleti Mateo's knee injury could end his season, but the club's doctor, Michael Johnson, one of the country's leading orthopaedic surgeons, said his gut feeling was that it wasn't nearly that bad.

Mateo left the field with a medial ligament strain early in the second half of Saturday's game against South Sydney.

He eventually returned to finish the game, with the knee heavily strapped, and booked in for an MRI scan today.

There was talk yesterday that the injury could keep the five-eighth out for up to eight weeks.

Asked where Mateo stood for this Friday's Eels clash with Manly, Johnson said there was a chance he could play.

"I don't know where this talk of Feleti being out for as much as eight weeks is coming from," Johnson said.

"We're not going to know anything for sure until he has the scan. He strained the medial ligament and also sprained his ankle at the same time.

"There was a possibility he had done a bit of damage to the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, but I don't think there is much to worry about there. I think the medial strain is the problem, but my gut feeling is that he won't miss more than one or two games and there is a chance he won't miss any games at all.

"To suggest he could miss more than a couple of games is going over the top."

Johnson said several other injured Parramatta players would be assessed today including prop Josh Cordoba (abdomen),halfback Brett Finch (hamstring strain) as well as prop Fuifui Moimoi (corked knee).

hope he's OK but i don't think it matters that much. we're sh*t atm and i can't see how that's going to change since we've been this way all season

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont understand how he can come back on and play late in the game yet still be out for 8 weeks

spiderdan

Bench
if he was able to come back and play with sticky tape to supprt his knee he more than likely has no problem with the acl (thankfully). i wouldn't be surprised though if hagan does decide to play him this week that he comes off the bench. if that's the case it would be good to see kk get another shot.

eel4life

Juniors
season is over anyways rest mateo do not give the kid a permanent damage just because he is getting desperate, he should of been like this after the roosters game or even better the manly game but no .. we are 2 weeks of remember ...

even if we make the 8, whats the point we will do nothing .. we will be lukcy to win 3 games for the rest of the year ...

manly by 21 +

i seriously can not see who we are going to beat over the last games ...

TheParraboy

Staff member
Shame Mathew Peterson is no longer with us, hed slot straight in the pivot role if Mateo was out, no dramas at all

Fathead

Bench
My info is that Mateo is definately out for at least this week and probably next week as well.
Will be curious to see who is moved up.