What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know what happens.......

skeepe

Immortal
Thunderstruck I think your joke may actually be correct. I have heard that if the two teams cannot be separated by all the criteria, they will toss a coin. This is definately the case in the rugby union world cup - points differential, points scored, coin toss

lockyno1

Post Whore
I heard it goes on a percentage point system after the Points Differential is exactly the same and the head to head is the same.If anyone follows the AFL it works in a system like theirs. You don't see this figure at all becuase they have never had to use it but that is the way they have to solve it. I am reasonably sure about this, as there was talk on the radio about this exact topic.

BWNB

First Grade
It goes by alaphabetical order so if it was
8th and 9th between dragons and sharks
dragons would get in because D is before S

aussies1st

Staff member
sounds very stuffed up to have your season decided by a coin toss or your team name.

I think the coin toss is true ONLY if all other factors are equal. i.e if:

Head to Head results during the season
percentages
trys conceded
trys scored
goals conceded
goals scored
feild goals conceded
penalties conceded

Are all equal then it is decided by a coin toss. The odds of them all being equal are extremely large probably 100000 times larger than winning lotto. I dont thinkwe will ever see this used in our lifetime.

Raider_69

Post Whore
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
It goes by alaphabetical order so if it was
8th and 9th between dragons and sharks
dragons would get in because D is before S

no it doesnt you clown
if it come to deciding a play off or top 4 spot etc, they wouldnt even consider taking it too alphabetical order

BTW i think if all is equal a 2 man sack race should be held on consecutive sundays untill a winner is crowned

rooster69

Juniors
Razor said:
The order goes like this

Just remembered there is no "field goals scored" criteria. If 3-7 are all equal, then FGS would be equal as well, so there's no point making it a criteria.

1. Points
2. Points differential
3. Tries Conceded
4. Tries Scored
5. Goals Conceded
6. Goals Scored
7. Field Goals Conceded
8. Penalties Conceded

Not sure what they do after that.

pig throwing ....????

Get 26 Players from both sides - each side starts on their own tryline, they bullrush each other, then have a brawl to the death, Last man standing wins the finals berth for his side.

I actually believe this system should replace golden point.

waltzing Meninga said:
Not really. you know the sides are going to be somewhere between -100 and +100. so there is 200 different points they could possibly finish on. I.e the chances are approx 200-1 that this could happen.

Hey bangladesh were paying almost that much to beat australia in the ODI earlier in the Ashes tour.

Given how close the comp is it is very possible.

If you wanted to get technical:

7. a
8. b
9. c

Team b and c are tied on differential, if the chances of the sides being on the same differential and it was between -100 and +100 like you said:

The chances of team b being on a particular number = 1 in 200
The chances of team c being on a particular number = 1 in 200

The chances of both sides being on exactly the same is exactly 1 in 40 000

I think. So obviously the chances of Bangladesh beating the Aussies was less than that because it wasn't paying 40 000 - 1

Grantwhy

Juniors
forward pass said:
The chances of 2 sides finishing on the exact points differential would be millions to 1!
waltzing Meninga said:
Not really. you know the sides are going to be somewhere between -100 and +100. so there is 200 different points they could possibly finish on. I.e the chances are approx 200-1 that this could happen.

Hey bangladesh were paying almost that much to beat australia in the ODI earlier in the Ashes tour.

Given how close the comp is it is very possible.

looking at http://stats.rleague.com/rl/rl_index.html

1993: Bulldogs and Manly finished with a +210 differential (Bulldogs had 17 wins, Manly 16)

Going back to 1990 that's the only one i can see (but at 2:00 am there is no gurarantee i haven't missed something :lol:)

JoeysChiropractor said:

7. a
8. b
9. c

Team b and c are tied on differential, if the chances of the sides being on the same differential and it was between -100 and +100 like you said:

I think. So obviously the chances of Bangladesh beating the Aussies was less than that because it wasn't paying 40 000 - 1

Wrong, You don't times the 2 together. Have you ever studied probability? it would be 1 in 40000 for 3 teams to be tied on the same points. This is because the first team are already on that number - that is a given.

say team A is on +47. then it is a 1 in 200 chance for team B to be on the same as them. it would then be a 1 in 40000 chance for team C to also be on the same as them. Trust me I have studuied a high level maths at university.

Its also like me saying to you "Pick a number between 1 and 200" whilst having a number in my head. your chances of guessing my number would be 1 in 200 right?

jimmythehand

Juniors
JoeysChiropractor said:

7. a
8. b
9. c

That makes sense, but it can also be misleading. That's the chances of two particular teams having the same differential if they are equal on points.

What you could also look at is the chances that ANY 2 teams would have the same differential. For example, if 4 teams end up on 28 points, then the chances that any 2 of them have the same differential is down to 6/400000 or one in about 6000.

This is over 1000 times more likely to occur than winning lotto from one game of six numbers.

jimmythehand said:
That makes sense, but it can also be misleading. That's the chances of two particular teams having the same differential if they are equal on points.

What you could also look at is the chances that ANY 2 teams would have the same differential. For example, if 4 teams end up on 28 points, then the chances that any 2 of them have the same differential is down to 6/400000 or one in about 6000.

This is over 1000 times more likely to occur than winning lotto from one game of six numbers.

This is all mathematically incorrect. As I said, The chances of two teams having the same differential regardelss of points on the ladders is roughly 1 in 200 as proven above. If you take points on the ladder into consideration then this increases the odds, however not by much as it is very likely that there a going to be losts of teams on the same amount of points at the end of the season.

Latest posts