What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone really care about Formula One anymore?

Tom Shines

First Grade
I did, and I usually watch every race, but with every other team owned by a billion dollar car manufacturer or energy drink supplier (Sauber is now BMW Sauber and BAR is now Honda), I just can't get into it as much this year.

At least there are tyre changes this year, but they're using V8s, so they won't be going anywhere near as quick. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing — let them go as quick as possible.

Cammo

Bench
The only thing keeping me interested at the moment is that Mark Webber is racing.

The sport needs a real big overhaul though if it wants people to stick with it.

The Dodger

First Grade
Coleman said:
I did, and I usually watch every race, but with every other team owned by a billion dollar car manufacturer or energy drink supplier (Sauber is now BMW Sauber and BAR is now Honda), I just can't get into it as much this year.

At least there are tyre changes this year, but they're using V8s, so they won't be going anywhere near as quick. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing — let them go as quick as possible.

its sh*t.

nothing beats v8 supercars.

budz

Juniors
I like F1. And im going to it in melbourne for the 5th year in a row. They cant let them go as fast as they want because it becomes far too dangerous then. I think its good that the top car manufacturers are buying teams because it will lead to a more even playing field. Even with V8 engines, F1 will still be WAY faster than those overweight bopper V8 Supercars. I dont think the V8 engines will make it too much slower, as every year the teams find new ways to get a second or so from some where.

I just dont see how you can like V8s after you go to the F1 and see the comparison.

S2H

Juniors
I like it. Big Williams fan. It will be interesting to see how they go this year with a new engine, body and tires.

camsmith

Juniors
Yeh i'll still watch it, Webber is a huge reason im sticking with it. They seem to be going downhill with all these changes...

The cars are safer than ever, why make a sh*tter engine in?

hrundi99

First Grade
I'm very much looking forward to it. Apart from the Indy farce it was a good season with Alonso a popular champion.

It's still the pinnacle of the sport. Champcar? Don't make me laugh...

You would have been hard pressed to fin a bigger F1 fan than me a few years ago.

Now, I only watch a race if Im bored.

There is NO over taking, the rules have turned it from one big race into 20 individual time trials.....its just as boring as bat sh*t these days.

griffo346

First Grade
i am a big f1 fan
Williams of course

i have been thinkin as an aussie and all why dont holden give it a go with v8 engines hahaha

eddie

Juniors
Plenty of overtaking in round one last night.

And Sato's new team look set to add lots of comedy.

hrundi99

First Grade
eddie said:
Plenty of overtaking in round one last night.

And Sato's new team look set to add lots of comedy.

A great race with some exciting results.

Alonso staying ahead of Schumacher out of the pits
Webber's solid result
Rosberg's pace
Pace of the BMW Saubers...

Lots of potential for a great championship.

The doubters were wrong.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I love formula one but cannot get into other forms of Motor car racing, in particular the V8's.. Maybe the Channel 10 coverage is part of the reason but really the drivers are pretty much a bunch of nuffy's in the overall scheme of things..

Y2Eel

First Grade
griffo346 said:
i am a big f1 fan
Williams of course

i have been thinkin as an aussie and all why dont holden give it a go with v8 engines hahaha

holden use chev engines dont they??

Knightmare

Coach
The Grand Prix on the weekend was great. I used to follow F1 religiously (my family as well) and we'd watch every race, but when Schumacher and Ferrari started running the sport I tuned out. I hate Schumacher and seriously, watching him win Grand Prix after Grand Prix was like watching a shark let loose in a coy pond. I reckon F1 was more entertaining from the '70s to the '90s- there were more teams, great drivers (Stewart, Lauda, Villeneuve Snr., Mansell, Prost, Rosberg, Senna) and the drivers weren't the PR-spinning robots that so many of them seem to be today. In a recent issue of F1 racing, Damon Hill made a valid point when he said he was concerned about big businesses taking over F1 teams- would they be more inclined to hire the driver who can win them races and really push it to the ragged edge or would they go for the driver who can sell more of their product? F1 needs a real character, someone like a cross between Alex Zanardi and Ayrton Senna. The reason Jean Alesi had such a large following was because he would express his emotions for everyone to see, instead of the "Oh well that's motor racing, hopefully we'll have better luck next race" line that gets spun over and over these days. Hakkinen and Schumacher crying visibly at Monza in '99 and 2000 respectively- we need more of that- dare I say it- even some biffo would be good!

Latest posts