What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Canberra have any money?

Philby

Juniors
Signing big name players doesnt win premierships developing juniors does.
Just look at the top sides of the last few years
Broncos: Most of this side were developed within the Broncos
Melbourne: Again using players developed through their feeder club Norths Qld and also a few players who were signed from obscurity ie King, White and Geyer
Bulldogs: Again most of the side developed from juniors except Ryan and the Ogre who werent superstars at their previous clubs
Give the Raiders a chance. Let Carney, Dobson, Weyman, Zillman, Tilse and Chalk get a few first grade games under their belt.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
As an outsider and someone on the Periphery of a new Raiders development scheme in Southeast Brisbane thru my junior club, I can tell you the Raiders are FINANCIALLY viable. How could they not be...with ownership in about 7-8 league clubs in NSW & QLD.

The Broncos have pulled out of Logan & Greenbank (2 potentially huge junior areas), and the Raiders have stepped in. They have now appointed their first development officer for the area and with partnership to Souths-Logan Magpies will set up a new academy (not yet announced) in that area. Remember Souths-Logan are apparently moving to a purpose built council funded boutique stadium in & around Browns Plains.

The Broncos pulled out of Greenbank who had Michael hancock as dev. officer (funded by the RSL) after the RSL asked the Broncos when they were going to start a promised academy. That didn't eventuate, so I suspect the Raiders will fulfill the RSL's wishes. That will be a huge area to have wrapped up and the only glitch in the Raiders machine is convincing players that Canberra is a great place to live and great for their Rugby league futures.

Believe me...the Raiders have Money!

nqboy

First Grade
Heritage XIII said:
The Broncos have pulled out of Logan & Greenbank (2 potentially huge junior areas), and the Raiders have stepped in. They have now appointed their first development officer for the area and with partnership to Souths-Logan Magpies will set up a new academy (not yet announced) in that area. Remember Souths-Logan are apparently moving to a purpose built council funded boutique stadium in & around Browns Plains.

The Broncos pulled out of Greenbank who had Michael hancock as dev. officer (funded by the RSL) after the RSL asked the Broncos when they were going to start a promised academy. That didn't eventuate, so I suspect the Raiders will fulfill the RSL's wishes. That will be a huge area to have wrapped up and the only glitch in the Raiders machine is convincing players that Canberra is a great place to live and great for their Rugby league futures.

Believe me...the Raiders have Money!
If they live in Logan or Greenbank or Browns Plains, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to convince kids that Canberra is a great place to live.

mongoose

Coach
nqboy said:
If they live in Logan or Greenbank or Browns Plains, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to convince kids that Canberra is a great place to live.

2 words for them - legal weed

dubby

Bench
nqboy said:

:lol: Touche'...

But the GC is only a short drive away, beaches, babes and plenty of schoolies upon which to prey...

nqboy said:

They shouldnt need to live in logan or browns plains to know its a good place to live, because it is, a damn sight better than most areas of sydney (cept the inner part)

boonboon

Juniors
As a former Canberra resident and a country boy origionally, I know thta most people from the country who have lived in both Canberra and Sydney would much prefer Canberra - Sydney is a crap place to live (currently in Melbourne no where near as good as Canberra), relaxed, good people not much crime, plenty of drinking and a great community feel and so easy to get around and cause the politicians are there the city is fantastic in facilities, plus for footballers great respect and with the AIS the best facilities in the country

Canard

Immortal
Just as an aside, today's no-names can quickly become tomorrow's stars.

I remember at the start of 2003, when so-called experts like Phil Gould and Roy Masters were tipping the Warriors to finish last because they had never heard of anyone in their team.

Raider Azz

Bench
Canard said:
Just as an aside, today's no-names can quickly become tomorrow's stars.

I remember at the start of 2003, when so-called experts like Phil Gould and Roy Masters were tipping the Warriors to finish last because they had never heard of anyone in their team.
true. it's very much a case of "out of site, out of mind" for teams like us and the warriors. but that's okay, we've become used to the underdog tag. it's when the articles become quite personal and try to insinuate that we're in some kind of financial trouble (which is simply not the case) that it gets frustrating.

sydraider

First Grade
I think another factor that has gone against the raiders is the Melbourne Storm.

The Raiders have always had a contingent of Qld juniors to work with. Our decline as a side has not only come about by piss poor coaching over the last ten years but also from more competition for juniors.

I mean who is to say that if the storm were not in the comp, players like cameron smith, greg inglis and billy slater would not be playing for the raiders.

If you look at our past teams, names such as Belcher, Steve Walters, Meninga, Backo etc....

Im not saying I dont wish the storm were in the comp but they have cut into our market considerably.

Still, if we can keep the core unit we have now and maybe add a few with smart recruitment, we will be a major force again!

simon says

First Grade
sydraider said:
I think another factor that has gone against the raiders is the Melbourne Storm.

The Raiders have always had a contingent of Qld juniors to work with. Our decline as a side has not only come about by piss poor coaching over the last ten years but also from more competition for juniors.

I mean who is to say that if the storm were not in the comp, players like cameron smith, greg inglis and billy slater would not be playing for the raiders.

If you look at our past teams, names such as Belcher, Steve Walters, Meninga, Backo etc....

Im not saying I dont wish the storm were in the comp but they have cut into our market considerably.

Still, if we can keep the core unit we have now and maybe add a few with smart recruitment, we will be a major force again!

Top post....I agree that the Storm has surely cut into the Raiders.They have always had a good stream of Qlders,and now the Storm being Brisbane b are taking all the blokes that would ahve gone to the Raiders.

Very hard for them to draw players.......

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It was the case in the late 80s but our 94 side only had 2 Queenslanders, albeit they were Big Mal and Steve Walters. Our best players in the 90s were all country boys. Laurie Daley, Bradley Clyde, Brett Mullins, David Furner, Ricky Stuart, Ken Nagas, Ben Kenndey and Jason Croker all represented NSW. The QLD greats we had in the late 80s and early 90s were all obtained before the Broncos entered the comp. I don't agree that Melbourne have damaged our recruitment.

simon says

First Grade
Well maybe its Brisbane then.

Either way,you arent geting the one or two stars that you did in the 90's,and the glut you had in the late 80's.

Put Cam Smith and Inglis in your team and you wold be right up there IMO.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Definitely a good call on the QLD talent, Melbourne are definitely having a negative impact on us in that regard, but for the good of the game, we cant complain about that.

Latest posts