What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Gosford care about rugby league?

dibo

Juniors
N.C. said:
I wouldn't say that the Central Coast doesn't care about the Soccer - there seems to be a fair amount of grass roots support and I think that is one reason the Mariners are settling in here. I take the point that the media jumped on a bit of a bandwagon at the end of the A-League season but I think you are kidding yourself if you think the support for the Mariners was entirely manufactured. I think you need to bear in mind that it was an innaugural season...

damn straight. 25 odd clubs, massive junior participation, it's the dominant code in terms of what people actually play. there's a heap of senior divisions, the participation at senior and junior levels would take a turd from a great height on what rugby league has.

this isn't to say that the coast doesn't care about league. i grew up there and it was always a big deal - lots of people play soccer but follow league, it's just that not many people i knew actually played the game.

i reckon an nrl team would go alright in gosford, but i think it'd have to be a new thing, not just the bears. because a large proportion of the coast population moved from somewhere in else to the coast (my family moved from the st george area) they've either got attachments to other teams or at the very least animosity to other teams - the manly vs bears thing not the least of them. but the dynamic of the league is that there's probably more call for a relocated club or to go in through dead mens' boots, and i'm not sure whether the nrl is willing to go there...

gold coast is the better call at the moment, because it's a new club that fills a gap.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
dibo, we aren't debating the merit of GC v CC anymore. GC has the team, and deservedly so. Their plan was ultimately better. We're arguing whether or not Gosford wants a team. IMO - it's a resounding yes!

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do the Bears bring to the party over a new franchise?

What is their Leagues club/juniors like?

Have to admit the though of another NSW team hardly fills me with excitement but no doubt they would do ok with 10-15,000 crowd. i guess that is as high as RL is aiming at the moment.

Timmah

Staff member
CC Crowds would be far greater than Melbourne crowds IMO, that should be reason enough if you want to base it on crowds.

ktcoop

Juniors
I love watching RL @ Gosford - since Roosters started taking games up there I am a huge fan! Yeah its a bit cool but show me a footy ground in winter that isn't.
Facilities are great - you can get a good coffee at the ground .... unlike Aussie.
Haven't found a bad seat yet.
Get a good crowd each game I've been to - can't tell me that the supporters have travelled to the ground when you get a higher crowd than a home game. So yeah I think Gosford enjoys their RL!

MayMoo

Juniors
Just for the record - The Bears did not agree to relocate as part of the merger, They had already committed to the Central Coast as the Central Coast Bears which ultimately led to their demise (on which I won't go into detail in this thread).

The Bears hold a 20% stake in the stadium.

I have always seen the Central Coast not so much as traditional Bears territory, but yes the Central Coast and North Shore are adjoining territories, and there are a lot of Bears Fans on the Central Coast. It would be the logical team to relocate there.

Yet, I do concede that there would be people on the Central Coast who for whtaever reason be it they allready support another team, or whatever would not want the Bears there. That is unavoidable. Not all people who live in Manly Warringah support Manly, Count me as one.

Perth Red, what do they bring to the table ?

Well let me think

*Almost 100 yrs tradition.
*An adjoining fan base as well as the Central Coast.
*Reconnecting League with the North Shore.

Quite Frankly, It would be a crime if any team other than the Central Coast Bears plays out of that stadium.

The NRL has blocked us again, but common sense will hopefully prevail soon.

Footballer said:
Yeh it was a shocking crowd in Gosford on Saturday night as opposed to the bumper NRL crowds on the same night....

Souths v Manly - 7,509
Panthers v Cowboys - 8,212

The mariners only drew a few thousand less for a meaningless pre-season game.

:lol: :oops:

Last season there were 3 NRL matches there averaging 15,000.

Not one of those matches had a team from Gosford or the Central Coast in the match.

The Mariners averaged 7,900 excluding finals last season and that was considered successful.

Clown.

Timmah

Staff member
I love it. On any occasion this clown leaves the confines of TFC, he gets owned more times than a Spanish prosititute.

LESStar58

Referee
MayMoo said:
Just for the record - The Bears did not agree to relocate as part of the merger, They had already committed to the Central Coast as the Central Coast Bears which ultimately led to their demise (on which I won't go into detail in this thread).

The Bears hold a 20% stake in the stadium.

I have always seen the Central Coast not so much as traditional Bears territory, but yes the Central Coast and North Shore are adjoining territories, and there are a lot of Bears Fans on the Central Coast. It would be the logical team to relocate there.

Yet, I do concede that there would be people on the Central Coast who for whtaever reason be it they allready support another team, or whatever would not want the Bears there. That is unavoidable. Not all people who live in Manly Warringah support Manly, Count me as one.

Perth Red, what do they bring to the table ?

Well let me think

*Almost 100 yrs tradition.
*An adjoining fan base as well as the Central Coast.
*Reconnecting League with the North Shore.

Quite Frankly, It would be a crime if any team other than the Central Coast Bears plays out of that stadium.

The NRL has blocked us again, but common sense will hopefully prevail soon.

well said.....

central coast bears by 2009/10 at the latest IMO

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the links etc certainly sounds like a logical move. I wonder if the Newton Jets could be persuaded to operate a NRL franchise out of Perth? Would give both areas ready access to juniors, funding and the Bears, Jets fans would have a team to support for the 10 games or so they would play in Sydney.

Enoughsaid

Juniors
while we are bringing all these teams in ....

let's bring in an asian team ..
another from NZ

lets have a 30 team comp

Timmah

Staff member
CC and Perth should be the next two. No questions asked.

Enoughsaid, present a factual based argument instead of whinging like a bitch and someone might take notice.

Latest posts